Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The 2 directors are the only full time staff (in 20 reviews)

• It's really a part-part time job, 6-12 hours a week (in 16 reviews)

"Avoid if possible"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Omaha, NE

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good experience to list on a resume for a future teacher, flexible hours, relaxed bosses, opportunity for advancement.

Cons

The worst part of Sylvan is its seeming disregard for the education of its clients. It was more important that students progress through the approved software than it was that students learn.

The contract is very restrictive. You are prohibited from tutoring anywhere else during or up to a year after your employment ends. The contract also stipulates that you are not allowed to use "know-how" gained at Sylvan in future positions. I consider this requirement both entirely unenforceable and a silly position for an educator.

Sylvan provided minimal, and ineffective training. The training focused not on how to teach or how to use the software, but on the minute routines of the day and explained how the software works. To make the training more irrelevant, the routines outlined in the training were not used by any on site staff.

Management gave me no indication that they knew what they were doing. Despite filing a W-4 with the company, they took out a single $20.00 for taxes from one paycheck for the entire year I worked for them. The company recklessly promoted a staff member to run the center without sufficient training or vetting. This resulted in the company losing tens of thousands of dollars when the staff member forgot to charge clients for services.

The company also recklessly promoted me, a college student with no formal education experience, to operate the center and communicate with and sell to clients. Again, this promotion came with zero training.

Advice to Management

For an education service, you should focus more on training your employees and staff. Student outcomes and staff satisfaction would be far improved if you provided sufficient information to your teachers. I had students with IEPs that I was not informed of. I could have adapted education and helped a lot more if I was allowed to know the content of my students IEPs.

Provide more oversight. Your managers should watch and critique your teachers and should themselves be watched and critiqued. A lot of people here don't know what they're doing and since you don't monitor any position, its going to stay that way.

You need an accountant on staff.

2. "Excellent place to work."

Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Calm atmosphere, leaders truly care about the students, and they constantly reflect and improve.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

None!

"Director of Education"

Former Employee - Director of Education in Weymouth, MA
    Former Employee - Director of Education in Weymouth, MA

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sylvan has three positives. The children, the families, and the hardworking, compassionate and committed teachers who are not involved in the politics of their organization.

Cons

This company is only about making money. Employees are expected to manipulate parents into buying services their children don't need. Extremely unethical-the turnover rate of employees is incredibly high because once qualified, talented individuals who truly care about education and children realize who they're working for, they run.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to pay attention to why centers are failing. It's not your product, it's your management.

"Unorganized but overall a good experience"

Former Employee - Teahers Assistant in Killeen, TX
    Former Employee - Teahers Assistant in Killeen, TX

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice teachers and managers who were full advice for a high schooler. The work was pretty easy and didn't take much training.

Cons

It was pretty unorganized when it came to the management and teachers communicating. They would all have different rules that would conflict.

5. "Teacher's Assistant"

Former Employee - Examination Proctor and Teacher's Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Examination Proctor and Teacher's Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers (More than a year)

Pros

Great Staff whom has a natural love to help the students

Cons

Part time hours. More TAs meant less hours. But it's still a great company to work with. Just ask and you will receive I believe.

"Ups and Downs of Sylvan L.C. Employment"

Former Employee - Teacher in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Teacher in Salem, OR

Pros

I loved working with the kids! I liked the atmosphere, generally speaking. I liked my co-workers and the directors of education. I loved seeing the improvement of those student's that responded well to the Sylvan style of instruction. Lastly, I appreciated the part-time schedule.

Cons

The owner of this location is very unpredictable and can make very impulsive decisions. She makes many of her decisions based on her bottom line and not what is best for each student's instruction. I was finding that she valued students whose parents could pay ongoing for months and months, and who showed little improvement with the type of instruction offered at Sylvan. She does not pay her teachers enough for their expertise, and I did not feel that she valued our educational input concerning our students.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to remember what this business should be about.... helping children improve their learning capabilities with the help of exceptional teachers.. Never con parents into months and months of ongoing very expensive instruction that does not and cannot fit their child's learning style.

"Great for Teachers trying to build up a resume--and that is IT."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting atmosphere with a TON of instructional resources. Great experience in teaching--and if you are one of the two teachers to acquire a full-time job with them you will also get exposure in curriculum development.

Cons

Horrifying pay. Teachers make TOPS $15 an hour, and instructional assistants barely scrape by on minimum wage. You have to assume each student is bringing in about $75 an hour, and yet it's unclear where that money is going. I suspect upper management, but it remains unclear. As a teacher you also get VERY limited free reign to teach how you would like to. You have to follow binders and charts and their resources only, and get penalized for working outside of the constricted expectations.

Advice to Management

Micromanage less. Give teachers more freedom. Pay your employees more. Learn how to let go of the horrible students that are clearly ruining it for everyone else; I get that it's a customer focused place--but think about how many students are being affected by the presence of the awful kids!

8. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Teacher in Bridgeport, CT
    Former Employee - Teacher in Bridgeport, CT

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, great team members, 3 to 1 setting, training

Cons

low pay, work was slow in the summer.

"Center Director"

Former Employee - Center Director in Camden, NJ
    Former Employee - Center Director in Camden, NJ

Pros

Meaningful work to help kids get to grade level.

Cons

It takes a lot of hours to make any money for your center!

10. "Assistant Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburg, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburg, TX

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in

Cons

Long hours, bonus set up is not guaranteed and very weak.

Advice to Management

Only way to move up is if someone leaves the company.