Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 25, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The 2 directors are the only full time staff (in 20 reviews)

• It's really a part-part time job, 6-12 hours a week (in 16 reviews)

1. "Definitely a good temporary part time job, even if the pay isn't the best."

Former Employee - Tutor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Tutor in Houston, TX

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Treated very well by employers.
    -Usually flexible work hours(although they're only during the late afternoon/evening during the week)
    -Gaining valuable skills for someone who doesn't have a teaching degree.
    -Pretty laid back atmosphere.
    -Very respectful directors.

Cons

The pay could be a bit better. It can sometimes be demotivating working longer shifts when the benefits don't often outweigh losing hours of leisure time in the evenings.

Advice to Management

Honestly, look into paying employees higher wages. You'll attract more motivated and better employees that way.

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work culture and sense of camaderie and very committed to helping students and families reach their educational goals and helping people in general. Many people have worked for Sylvan for over a decade.

Cons

Lack of vision for employees and how they might grow within the company.

"Part Time Job that expects all the time availability"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time

Pros

Helping students.
    IF they respect your time - then a flexible schedule (BIG IF)

Cons

They are very inconsistent in terms of hours or giving you a regular schedule.
    Management often gives little notice to shift changes causing problems if you
    have a second job (which most instructors do since Sylvan pays so little).
    Low pay (as mentioned above)
    Poor curriculum

Advice to Management

Stop treating your teachers like wage slaves. Either pay us for full time or be considerate
    of our other obligations and jobs. Pay us a reasonable wage - most tutoring companies pay $20/hr for their professionals. We have degrees and experience. Stop being cheap. Update your ipad curriculum - its lackluster at best.

"Sylvan is Cutting Edge!"

Current Employee - Center Director in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Center Director in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No one does what Sylvan can do. They only use credentialed teachers, they teach common core the same way students are learning in the classroom, and they substantiate every student's progress every 30 days. They also do Teacher Contacts and reach out to the teachers in the actual classrooms and review that feedback with the parents during their monthly conference. They also do internal progress checks every 24 hours of instruction.

Cons

Not enough Parents sign up to help their kids get the help they need.

5. "A Mixed Bag"

Former Employee - Math Tutor
    Former Employee - Math Tutor

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Relatively good hourly wage (compared to state minimum)
    -Center director and other teachers were very supportive

Cons

-Sylvan expects teachers to do too much during their 1 hour with kids
    -3:1 student-teacher ratio is only manageable if all three students are well-behaved and don't require a lot of help (very rare)

Advice to Management

Sylvan as a company seems to care more about profits than kids. If they truly cared about students, they would get rid of the 3:1 student-teacher ratio.

"Great boss to work for!"

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time

Pros

Management offers autonomy to develop curriculum for each student based on their learning styles and strengths. An incredibly positive environment to work in!

Cons

Franchise location that I worked for was too far away after relocation, so I had to give up my position. Management and hiring process varies from location to location.

"Avoid if possible"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Omaha, NE

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good experience to list on a resume for a future teacher, flexible hours, relaxed bosses, opportunity for advancement.

Cons

The worst part of Sylvan is its seeming disregard for the education of its clients. It was more important that students progress through the approved software than it was that students learn.

The contract is very restrictive. You are prohibited from tutoring anywhere else during or up to a year after your employment ends. The contract also stipulates that you are not allowed to use "know-how" gained at Sylvan in future positions. I consider this requirement both entirely unenforceable and a silly position for an educator.

Sylvan provided minimal, and ineffective training. The training focused not on how to teach or how to use the software, but on the minute routines of the day and explained how the software works. To make the training more irrelevant, the routines outlined in the training were not used by any on site staff.

Management gave me no indication that they knew what they were doing. Despite filing a W-4 with the company, they took out a single $20.00 for taxes from one paycheck for the entire year I worked for them. The company recklessly promoted a staff member to run the center without sufficient training or vetting. This resulted in the company losing tens of thousands of dollars when the staff member forgot to charge clients for services.

The company also recklessly promoted me, a college student with no formal education experience, to operate the center and communicate with and sell to clients. Again, this promotion came with zero training.

Advice to Management

For an education service, you should focus more on training your employees and staff. Student outcomes and staff satisfaction would be far improved if you provided sufficient information to your teachers. I had students with IEPs that I was not informed of. I could have adapted education and helped a lot more if I was allowed to know the content of my students IEPs.

Provide more oversight. Your managers should watch and critique your teachers and should themselves be watched and critiqued. A lot of people here don't know what they're doing and since you don't monitor any position, its going to stay that way.

You need an accountant on staff.

8. "Excellent place to work."

Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Calm atmosphere, leaders truly care about the students, and they constantly reflect and improve.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

None!

"Director of Education"

Former Employee - Director of Education in Weymouth, MA
    Former Employee - Director of Education in Weymouth, MA

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sylvan has three positives. The children, the families, and the hardworking, compassionate and committed teachers who are not involved in the politics of their organization.

Cons

This company is only about making money. Employees are expected to manipulate parents into buying services their children don't need. Extremely unethical-the turnover rate of employees is incredibly high because once qualified, talented individuals who truly care about education and children realize who they're working for, they run.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to pay attention to why centers are failing. It's not your product, it's your management.

"Good program for the students but not great for employees"

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

No lesson plans
    Training program is helpful
    Good place to make some extra money after work or on weekends

Cons

Poor communication is the main issue
    Sometimes they will change the schedule on you at last minute and you'll be forced to cancel any plans you had
    Low pay