Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

Updated June 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • The 2 directors are the only full time staff (in 20 reviews)

• It's really a part-part time job, 6-12 hours a week (in 16 reviews)

"Student tutoring"

Former Employee - Tutor in Austin, TX

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

7hr days with relatively easy work, tutoring middle school students. Small incentives to document and enter payroll hours. Friendly school officials and Sylvan management.

Cons

Short term contract, lasted only a few months. Sometimes difficult working with certain students being disruptive or distracting. No paid holidays or time off.

2. "Great place to work if you want to mold young minds"

Current Employee - Math Tutor in Lawrence, KS
    Current Employee - Math Tutor in Lawrence, KS

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers (Less than a year)

Pros

- You get to be a teacher and help mold young, impressionable minds without most of the burdens (grading tests, assignments, figuring out a lesson plan)
    - Management is very reasonable, professional, and adaptable
    - seminars and training are conducted periodically to get personnel up to speed

Cons

- Sometimes not enough hours are available (both for teachers needing to teach and for students needing enough time to learn the material)
    - Schedules can change on a dime

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! The workplace can't run smoothly without you guys coordinating, delegating, managing, supervising, and training.

3. "Students were great. Management was not"

Former Employee - Math Tutor in Hiram, GA
    Former Employee - Math Tutor in Hiram, GA

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time

Pros

Getting to make an impact on young children's lives was very rewarding. I also learned a lot from some of the other recent graduates that worked there. It was a great way to refresh my memory of some of the topics I had not seen since high school. Their updated learning system using Ipads makes for very smooth tutoring sessions.

Cons

I did not feel as though my time there was very appreciated. I did end up taking on the high level math, science, SAT/ACT tutoring, but I was paid the least out of everyone who worked there.

Advice to Management

We work with students that come from different educational backgrounds. Some of them even had learning disabilities. It is never ok for management to charge extra simply because someone is a minority and you do not want them to bring their children to Sylvan.

4. "Great part time job"

Former Employee - Teacher/Tutor in Pearland, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher/Tutor in Pearland, TX

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers (More than a year)

Pros

Sylvan in Pearland was a great place to work with Lois as the Center Director and Becky as the Director of Education. The owners were nice and seemed to really care about what was going on at the center.

Cons

New management caused a lot of teachers to leave. They don't have a lot of experience and seem to mess up schedules a lot.

5. "Push In Tutoring is a great way to help students"

Former Employee - Tutor in Austin, TX

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers (Less than a year)

Pros

The hiring process was efficient. Great team leader and co-workers. Innovative company working inside classrooms in struggling schools. Good teamwork between school administration and Sylvan management.

Cons

Some classroom situations were difficult due to student behavior.

Advice to Management

Training was good. However, I would suggest more role-playing and/or video training on dealing with apathetic and disrespectful students.

6. "TUTOR"

Former Employee - Tutor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Tutor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers (Less than a year)

Pros

Great support, pleasant interview, great staff and administration

Cons

Sometimes hours can vary week to week.

Advice to Management

Thanks for allowing me the honour of teaching where I once was a student.

"Nice job for college students and school teachers that want an extra income."

Former Employee - Tutor/Instructor in Caguas, PR
    Former Employee - Tutor/Instructor in Caguas, PR

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers (More than a year)

Pros

Student-friendly job, great and fun working environment, nice organizational culture, easy to follow system, the company provides the resources and materials needed, the company brings in and schedules the clients so you don't need to worry about those details.

Cons

Sometimes the scheduling is not effective and you end up with students in very different school levels or subjects which makes it hard to dedicate the same amount of attention to each.

8. "Sylvan Tutor Review"

Former Employee - Teacher/Tutor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Teacher/Tutor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were a lot of hours available. Training provided was valuable and helpful.

Cons

The transition period between hours is very hectic. We weren't given time to mentally transition to the next hour.

Advice to Management

Look for and listen to feedback from employees. You hired us because we know how to work with students.

"Director of Education"

Former Employee - Director of Education in Kingwood, TX
    Former Employee - Director of Education in Kingwood, TX

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working for Sylvan Learning Centers. Even as current teacher, I still offer information about Sylvan and other tutoring facilities in the area. I honestly believe in what Sylvan does, and they do a great job of filling in the gaps. They have so many amazing programs to offer students. I left just as they before they began the STEM, Robotics stuff. It offered amazing opportunities for many students!

Cons

The pay wasn't that great and neither was the hours. The pay was FAR less than I am making as a public school educator, and the hours were late into the evening. However, I think that varies from center to center. Another pit fall was trying to keep the center staffed with certified teachers and work around the schedule of the teachers and the students. Major headaches.

Advice to Management

Please pay more, this was such a great job, but I just couldn't make ends meet.

"Stay away from this place."

Former Employee - Center Director in Braintree, MA
    Former Employee - Center Director in Braintree, MA

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work schedule, with decent hours. Not micromanaged. Easy to use system. Adequate training. Low stress atmosphere. Good to deal with families

Cons

Incompetent leadership. Not enough of a sales culture. Closing locations left and right. Bonus structure is a joke. No holidays.

Advice to Management

Revamp the bonus plan.