KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Sylvan Learning Centers

Is this your company?

Sylvan Learning Centers

Add a Review

Sylvan Learning Centers Employee Reviews about "no benefits"

Updated Aug 6, 2020

Found 19 of over 808 reviews

3.6
Sylvan Learning Centers Chief Executive Officer John McAuliffe (no image)
John McAuliffe
Pros
  • "Flexible Hours and good number of student to tutor ratio(in 38 reviews)

• "Fun working with kids and building knowledge on teaching and tutoring(in 33 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Low salaries overall - meant for part time support(in 25 reviews)

• "Low pay no benefits training not paid until after you have worked there 6 months should be paid more per hour(in 19 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Sylvan Learning Centers and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "no benefits"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great work, terrible management and work environment

Dec 27, 2017 - Center Director in West Valley City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Helping students who need extra attention and seeing them thrive and catch up is fantastic. You make a huge difference in their lives.

Cons

Owner asks you outright to spy on other employees at the many centers he owns in Utah. He does not trust anyone from day one and has a very sketchy relationship with the center directors. They call themselves his Sylvan wives. Has an unofficial (but spoken) policy against hiring men in management positions. Don't expect to be able to take a lunch break at certain centers. Hard work and loyalty are overlooked. Also - if you aren't Mormon, you are also considered suspect and expected to fake it with customers. Teachers get low pay as does any other staff member. Training - ha. Barely happens. He'll work you 38 + hours a week with no benefits just to save money. Loved the work - the owner and work environment made this the worst job I have ever had. Most people who held my position left before a year had passed.

4 people found this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Every Franchise Different

Aug 6, 2020 - Academic Tutor in Champaign, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Professional atmosphere, reasonable hourly pay, good environment

Cons

Franchise and corporate take quite a bit of the revenue stream. Not all education materials up to same high standard. No benefits.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

There was a lot of good and bad.

Jun 27, 2019 - Tutor in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome students Awesome coworkers Rarely, if ever, take work home Essentially teaching without having to deal with much planning or parents or large classes.

Cons

Low pay No benefits No pay during holidays, summers. Strictly paid hourly, which doesnt work well with school schedules Contracts do not last very long. Not enough hours available to work

4. 3.0

Franchise Location Matters

Oct 8, 2019 - Center Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Getting to help kids Dynamic Atmosphere

Cons

Overbearing Franchise Owners Low Pay and No Benefits

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

The individual owner of this Sylvan was the problem, not the company.

Nov 21, 2013 - Anonymous Employee in Fort Walton Beach, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I liked working with the kids. I want to disclaim that this was not a certified sylvan because the owner wouldn't pay for the certification. My opinion is not about Sylvan as a company. Only about the way one Sylvan was run by one individual owner.

Cons

Only paid once a month. We weren't allowed to cash our checks unless the owner approved it. sometimes we would get the checks in the mail and would have to wait hours or days before going to the bank, and this was the payment for an entire month. No benefits offered and horrible salary He knew the company was going under and stopped paying rent and didn't tell any of his employees. I went into work one day and was told to call all of our clients and tell them that we were closing and that they more than likely would not be getting their money back. And the didn't. And I never got paid for my last two weeks of work.

6. 2.0
      Former Employee

please note that my reviews are based on a specific franchise and not sylvan as a corporate entity

Feb 21, 2015 - Director of Education, Center Director, Instructor
      Business Outlook

Pros

you were allowed to let your children attend tutoring for free. However, I very rarely utilize this, because the owner of the franchise that often complain about teachers who did utilize it.

Cons

the owner refused to pay the money to send me to the two week training program. I do not feel like my job was ever able to be done effectively and efficiently because I was never properly trained. There are no benefits. The rate of pay is awful.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee

Ok for students, no great for employees.

Jul 12, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Families are glad to have the insight we can provide. Many of the tutors are amazing. The technology, when it works, is great.

Cons

Director jobs are mostly sales jobs. Be prepared to make lots of phone calls, especially in a slow month. Outdated computer system for internal tracking. Little guidance to first time business owners, which leaves everyone stressed. There is no HR if you work for a franchised location. Often no benefits (at owner's discretion), no lunch break, evening work hours. Absentee owners.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Admin Asst

Oct 1, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule. Part time. Great for college students. Autonomy. Learn to work with persons of all ages from young children to adults.

Cons

No full time positions for assistants. No PTO. No benefits. Otherwise no actual complaints towards management.

9. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Reading Tudor School Programs

May 25, 2015 - Reading Teacher in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working in the Dallas ISD schools made the job like a regular school teaching job. You worked the same schedule as the schools, there was no late afternoons or evenings or Saturdays. And you were off when the schools were off. Of course that could work against you on snow days--being hourly meant if you don't work you don't get paid. I worked at two different schools, being at one 3 days a week and a different school 2 days a week. Which is also a pro- you could choose to just work a 3 day week at one school or add days at another school like I did. There were days when the schools didn't want us there because of testing or practice testing, etc. That could eat into your pay. At the same time if a class went on a field trip or had an assembly, the students would not show up and you got paid for a free period or more. There were some days we only saw kids 2 periods out of 5 or 6 because the kids were tied up with some other activity. Be sure to take a book or something to do. We always stayed in the classroom because sometimes the kids would show up for half the period. Another good thing is that there is usually 3 to 4 teachers in a classroom, teaching 3 or fewer students each at a table. So you are not alone, if you run into a problem. If you're lucky to be assigned with good people it can be a great experience. I guess if you're unlucky and get stuck with bad people it could backfire. Luckily at both schools I was with great people. We are on summer break right now so the program has ended. We were told to reapply in July for next school year. Management spoke as if they would bring back those who wanted but there was no guarantees given. So I consider myself still employed but just on hiatus. However if you want guarantees and solid commitments then this program would not be for you. It's an environment for those who don't like supervisors looking over your shoulder. We communicate with management by emails, phone calls, texts and only one day a week would a supervisor come to the campuses and always on a set day. We clocked into work by phone into a computerized system, we did have a "lead teacher" at one of my campuses, but it was an informal position, we all contributed to decision making as to what happened in the classroom. Sylvan gave us a free hand at working, because we were all certified, experienced teachers they provided the curriculum materials but it was up to us to how to teach it . And we all had our own style that blended well in my case. We rotated students sometimes and we had periods where each teacher kept the same students to be consistent. Most periods we had no more than 12 students, usually 9 or so. We had the capability to do one on one with some students who had more problems. We saw the same kids for the whole year with a few exceptions and we ended the year with some very positive results. At least at the two schools I worked at, I was lucky enough to work with some very fine teachers. I am a twenty year veteran who taught all levels from K through adult and retired. And that would be my advice as to who might benefit from this job. A retired teacher who wants to supplement your income. If you need 40 hours a week every week all year long then I would look somewhere else. I worked with one other retired teacher and the others were 15 year plus experienced who needed part time teaching for various reasons. If you're in a similar position, you might like this job.

Cons

And that leads me to the cons--no guarantees from management about what was going to happen. To be fair, this is a new program and I feel that they were working out bugs and learning as they went along. We rarely knew much in advance as far as schedules went, and there were unexpected periods of no work, such as December. The schools scheduled various tests and practice tests and other activities and didn't need us on campus for about half of the month that was available before the Christmas break. We teachers were not told about December until just before Thanksgiving. And then management talked very vaguely about when the program would end in the spring. In December we were told we might end in March or April! Finally at the end of April they gave us an end date of May 23rd. And then we found out on May 6th we were ending on May 8th! Some us were counting on another couple of weeks of pay! Some schools ran longer because they had a larger budget but it was very inconsistent and we felt like the management didn't know what they were doing. There were times when resources were not available. There were times we had to improvise a lot but I had to do that when I was teaching regularly in a public school. Experienced teachers will find most of the cons of Sylvan consistent with any other teaching job they've had. To tell the truth the cons were more just irritants than deal breakers. It was nothing worse than you'd experience in any teaching job. Of course the pay was pretty low for the experienced teachers they were getting. That would probably be a deciding factor in returning to Sylvan. Again, I would recommend the job to a retired teacher with another income source, or a teacher in between gigs, or an experienced ex teacher who needs a part time income--it still beats retail--and in this job you are still a TEACHER and not a tutor. We were teaching full lessons to those kids everyday, not just helping them do their homework. Some small stuff--don't expect much in the way of office supplies and supplements--and the classroom that you're assigned school gives you may not be the best. At one of my school we were in a very nice portable that had a little bit of old junk left in it but at my other school we were put in an old classroom that was pretty trashy and definitely being used for storage. We worked around empty boxes, old floor buffers, old out of date computer equipment, etc. So be prepared not to be treated like royalty as far as go. Again, keep in mind that the job is hourly (no benefits) and you don't earn if you don't work so if there is a snow day--no pay! And when the school has extended testing or practice testing or some other activity and they decide they don't want the Sylvan teachers there--no pay! Perhaps Sylvan will be more aggressive with the school admin to get some advanced notice about these times. You know well ahead of time you'll miss a week's pay for Spring Break, so it would be nice if you knew ahead of time you'll miss a week's pay for a week of practice testing or whatever.

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0

Mixed Bag

Jan 20, 2016 - Instructor in Scottsdale, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you like to help kids and don't want to work full time, this will suit you. No lesson planning; already done for you.

Cons

The pay is so-so, $13/hr. at the time. Only Part Time work, therefore no benefits. You can't really count on a set schedule. You are expected to work the summers, which is fine. In my case, Director very arbitrary and inflexible when asking for a few weeks off to move.

3 people found this review helpful