KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Sylvan Learning Centers

Is this your company?

Sylvan Learning Centers

Add a Review

Sylvan Learning Centers Employee Reviews about "part time"

Updated Nov 19, 2020

Found 42 of over 809 reviews

3.6
Sylvan Learning Centers Chief Executive Officer John McAuliffe (no image)
John McAuliffe
Pros
  • "Flexible Hours and good number of student to tutor ratio(in 38 reviews)

• "Fun working with kids and building knowledge on teaching and tutoring(in 33 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Low salaries overall - meant for part time support(in 25 reviews)

• "Low pay no benefits training not paid until after you have worked there 6 months should be paid more per hour(in 19 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Sylvan Learning Centers and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "part time"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Sylvan Review

Nov 19, 2020 - Teacher in Minneapolis, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

I really like it. It is good for a side job in the afternoon to late evening. I just started recently so I am not so sure how hard it is to climb up the ladder but it is enjoyable.

Cons

The Cons would be first job people tend to get there is only part time

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Hello world!

Nov 15, 2020 - Stem Instructor in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great staff and systems behind the tutoring

Cons

Low salaries overall - meant for part time support

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

What can I say about Sylvan?

Oct 13, 2019 - Tutor in Round Rock, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The positive things at working at Sylvan is the different kids you get to work with and it's a nice part-time job that puts a little extra money in your pocket. But don't relay on this job to be a second job because you will spend more money than you get paid from Sylvan.

Cons

On the flip side, there are a lot that needs to be fixed within Sylvan. Firstly, Sylvan needs to properly pay their employees. I had to wait 3 months to get paid for the first week I started working at Sylvan and I know that some of my coworkers have had similar issues with getting paid. Secondly, there is a somewhat high turnover of tutors that have quit while I was still there. Thirdly, there needs to be an admin assistant that needs to work Saturdays because there are parents that come in with questions and the tutors are not able to properly help the parents. Fourthly, be prepared to tutor in multiple subjects like math, reading, and writing in order to get hours. Otherwise, may the odds be in your favor. I have really gotten frustrated because I am primarily a math tutor but have been primarily put with K-8 reading/writing students. Lastly, you will have to deal with kids that are coming from school and they will be grumpy, moody, tired, or all of the above and more.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Every center is different

Jul 10, 2019 - Director of Education in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a business of mostly franchises so each center is different as far as structure, personnel, and management goes. I experienced multiple owners (including corporate) and overall, this is a great place to work with the right Directors! Curriculum/lessons are already in place so bringing teaching expertise and passion for helping students be successful is key to any role at Sylvan. Schedules are pretty flexible for part time staff but full time staff are usually there all day every day. Able to move up in the company (to a certain point). I started as a teacher's assistant and moved to assessment administrator, teacher, program manager, and then Director of Education (but that's basically it unless you move to corporate or become an owner).

Cons

Students come after school so late days every day usually. Pay is low and staff is severely underpaid (at every Sylvan location!), but corporate royalties are so high that there really isn't much wiggle room for wage increases. Directors, especially, have a really hard job and are required to do so many types of things (finance, education, management, marketing, sales, etc) and aren't compensated enough.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Quality Education For Students With Too Much Time On Their Hands

Mar 24, 2020 - Teacher in Beverly Hills, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working for Sylvan Learning Center Beverly Hills allows an educator to be exposed to all aspects of quality education for our students. The excellent center Director and Manager exudes a warm and friendly atmosphere that welcomes everyone with open arms.

Cons

Since it is on a part-time basis, the turnover of teachers is sometimes too abrupt and troublesome.

6. 4.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Awesome Place for College Students

Apr 29, 2020 - Stem Teacher in McAllen, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great for college students looking for an after-school part time job

Cons

Hours can get cut depending on how many classes are available

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great part time job for STEM majors/teachers

Sep 17, 2019 - Upper Level Math Tutor in Richland, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to work with kids! I was a junior in my engineering degree when I started this job part-time, and it was great because I was young enough to relate to the issues some of the kids were having at school. It also helped me to be constantly reviewing math concepts I still needed in college but hadn't seen in several years.

Cons

Hours can be a little inconsistent, but that is only because sometimes they kids have different afternoon schedules each week, and need to work with certain teachers.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Engaging, Fun, part-time work

Oct 11, 2019 - Math Tutor in Castro Valley, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

flexible hours, (at my center) understanding Directors

Cons

Only part time, little flexibility with curriculum and methods for solving

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Part-Time Work

Apr 22, 2019 - English Instructor in Peabody, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great for people looking for teaching experience, part-time work or shorter hours while in school.

Cons

Short hours and mostly night shifts during the school year.

10. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Poor Communication

Aug 2, 2019 - Tutor
      Business Outlook

Pros

The work environment is pretty calm.

Cons

Part-time, teaching methodology is questionable

1 person found this review helpful