KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Sylvan Learning Centers

Is this your company?

Sylvan Learning Centers

Add a Review

Sylvan Learning Centers Employee Reviews about "working with kids"

Updated Jan 14, 2021

Found 33 of over 807 reviews

3.6
Sylvan Learning Centers Chief Executive Officer John McAuliffe (no image)
John McAuliffe
Pros
  • "Flexible Hours and good number of student to tutor ratio(in 38 reviews)

• "Fun working with kids and building knowledge on teaching and tutoring(in 33 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Low salaries overall - meant for part time support(in 25 reviews)

• "Low pay no benefits training not paid until after you have worked there 6 months should be paid more per hour(in 19 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Sylvan Learning Centers and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "working with kids"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Robotics

Sep 24, 2020 - Stem Teacher in Huntington Beach, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun working with kids and building knowledge on teaching and tutoring

Cons

There were no cons for me

2. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Not what is advertised

Jan 14, 2021 - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers are pleasant Fun working with kids

Cons

No breaks Sometimes customers are rude Job isn't what is advertised Owner doesn't care about the employees (the owner, not the managers)

3. 4.0
      Former Employee

Positive enviroment

Oct 30, 2020 - Sylvan Learning Center in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great opportunity to work with kids and help families see academic improvements.

Cons

Work schedule not the best

4. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good job- lots to learn

May 19, 2020 - Center Director in Abilene, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Learned a lot about sales, marketing and management. Getting to work with kids and positively change lives was rewarding

Cons

The pay was not as good as it could be, and autonomy was not really encouraged.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great part time job for STEM majors/teachers

Sep 17, 2019 - Upper Level Math Tutor in Richland, SC
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to work with kids! I was a junior in my engineering degree when I started this job part-time, and it was great because I was young enough to relate to the issues some of the kids were having at school. It also helped me to be constantly reviewing math concepts I still needed in college but hadn't seen in several years.

Cons

Hours can be a little inconsistent, but that is only because sometimes they kids have different afternoon schedules each week, and need to work with certain teachers.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

The Company is amazing The Franchisee/Owner of Winston Salem, Greensboro and Burlington is terrible!!!!

Jul 22, 2019 - Center Director in Greensboro, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with kids, families and helping them to grow educationally

Cons

The Leadership is horrible, petty and never grateful and doesn't want people on her staff to grow

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Decent starting job for those interested in education

Jan 27, 2020 - Supplemental Education Tutor in Federal Way, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-work with kids -curriculum is provided -many learning tools provided

Cons

-low pay -teach in groups of three, doesn’t work for all kids

8. 2.0

Scam -- Beware

Oct 22, 2019 - Math Instructor in Greenville, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

working with kids (5 words)

Cons

This business is money-hungry and will promise parents anything

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Don't be fooled

Jan 10, 2019 - Director of Education
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with kids, working for a small business (most Sylvans are franchised), corporate support

Cons

I found that the biggest hurdle was the large discrepancy between our product and what we asked parents to pay for it. My center charged nearly $50/hour for a program designed to help students with remedial work. The number of times I had to field unhappy customers who didn't realize that, at that price point, their child still wouldn't receive 1:1 attention, was astounding. Sylvan sets up their directors to have to lie to the face of their customers. We were expected to doctor student test results in order to appease parents. We often had to come up with excuses why, at $50/hour, their child wasn't making the progress we had promised. As the face of the company, to these people who have invested sometimes thousands of dollars to help their kids, we took the most abuse when the miracle we promised just didn't deliver. I am not disparaging the product - but it isn't the miracle we advertise, and Sylvan's aggressive marketing and approach didn't work in the lower-income area where I worked. Maybe if you can afford to send a child to tutoring three or four times a week, it might take. I was there for nearly five years and that was a real rarity. More often than not, the kids who made significant progress at the minimally-recommended two hours per week were kids who weren't engaged at school, but understood the material well enough to do the activities that would get them prizes at the Sylvan Store. There was also very little work/life balance, as a director. Between our two directors, we each worked 10-hour days, and on early nights I still wouldn't be home until almost 7:30pm. We were only allowed half-hour lunches, and expected to be on-call if something came up on the weekend or outside of scheduled hours. There was never any discussion of hiring another set of hands.

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0

Great company, laid-back work

Feb 22, 2016 - Teaching Assistant in Katy, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

It was very fun. I got to work with kids and there were no real problems at work. Very laid-back and people were always friendly and appreciative.

Cons

Pay wasn't great. Could have applied online instead of applying through an email. Sometimes there would be no work to do.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 33 Reviews