Symantec Product Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sr Product Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good time to join since the company is essentially at the start of some great work.
    Great new offerings, good cloud initiative

Cons

There has been some chaos over the last year or 2 with CEO changes and Veritas split.

"Mixed experience"

Former Employee - Product Manager
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Symantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. Good pay. Decent work/life balance in my group. New management team is VERY aggressive. This could be either a good or bad thing.

Cons

DISJOINTED DECISION-MAKING: Our group was RIF'd as a cost saving measure even though we were developing a new product. Only a couple of people survived the layoffs and when the new CEO saw the work, he was very supportive.

RE-ORG TOOK FOREVER: After the Veritas split, our office location was closed and people either worked from home or were put up in a Regis office. The Re-org decision process was very flawed and this abandoned office went empty for nearly 1 year. So much for cost savings!!

The new management team is VERY aggressive. Not sure how it will turn out.

Advice to Management

Don't kid yourself into thinking that acting decisively without knowing what you're doing is a good thing.

"A high risk choice"

Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec (More than a year)

Pros

Standard large corporate campus, pay and benefits
    No pressure, low expectations
    Some pretty brilliant people are still here

Cons

This is a very sales-oriented short-term thinking company. Managers focus on winning the next deal rather than building a well-functioning organization or developing employees. Frequent changes of direction and poor communication mean that you're never sure where you stand. Internal systems are a total bureaucratic mess. Layoffs are frequent and continuing.

The dominant culture (if there is a culture) is engineering-driven, South Asian, and overwhelmingly male. If that's you, and you thrive on chaos, Symantec could be a good place for you.

Advice to Management

Respect and value your employees. Provide clear and consistent direction so they don't waste their time (and your money) doing unnecessary work. Show up for meetings with them, preferably on time. Evaluate people managers on their ability to help employees succeed.

4. "Good people in Caos"

Current Employee - Senior Partner Product Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good diversity, good people, good products

Cons

Bad processes and ever-changing leadership direction

Advice to Management

Stop changing and stick to a plan.

"Sr. Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Lindon, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Lindon, UT

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Extremely intelligent work force. Some of the smartest people I've ever worked with. Great diversity in thought leadership. Ideas are welcomed and respected. Symantec belives in the saying, "Speak like you are competely right, listen like you are completely wrong."

We unloaded Veritas which is a REALLY, REALLY good thing. We can now focus on cybersecurity and growing that business. It's been great to see some organic investment in our product lines when we have, historically, grown through acquistion.

Cons

Symantec it a big company...and can be hard to do business with from a customer perspective. There is too much "red tape" and it can feel like trying to turn a Battleship when making any changes.

Additionally, cross-department communications is slow or non-existent. Entire stakeholder groups can get left out of programs and projects.

Finally, Symantec has been slow to respond to the SaaS product movement. We are very "onprem" heavy. Strategically we are moving in the right direction, I just hope we aren't too late.

"Product Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Wixom, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Wixom, MI

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to wok with. They will always go out of their way to help.
    The energy and drive of the staff is inspirational and will motivate anyone to provide their best

Cons

The reshuffling that happens almost yearly needs to stop. It does provide an environment with some uncertainty. If this was removed it would be a perfect company to work for

Advice to Management

Stabilize the company and stop the reshuffling and reorgs as this is unnerving to staff. Stability will bring happier staff and also make them work harder, if that is possible.

7. "Decent technology"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lot of innovation. Great ownership. Lot of synergy between teams. Great customer engagement. Lot of new-age stuff and very knowledgeable people

Cons

Demerger distractions. Too much of stuff that needs to be prioritized on product backlog. Need to me more risk taking

Advice to Management

Become more risk taking and go for new cutting edge. We have the best technology internally, we need to productize it

"Welcome to abuse on an epic scale by managers"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Symantec full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None -- getting a reasonably fat payoff check after 10++ years was about it.

Cons

Gosh -- where does one start?

No one knows about a lot of historical decisions that were actually good ones, so each new suck up manager they hire does a complete reboot. Result is whole groups let go regularly, staff working in fear of redundancy, no risk takers left.

The company should be shutdown and closed for all the lack of innovation. Internally they're all "shiny new products" but customers couldn't care less as it takes 1-2 years on some products to ever get them to work.

Engineering is a black hole that you cannot believe a single date from and when they regularly miss their targets, others (E.G. PM's, TPM's, Mktg. etc) get zapped instead of fixing the problem.

Management team is related to dinosaurs named Jekyll & Hyde -- you would be well advised to record 1x1's and confirm all meetings with a email notes to CYA.

The company is so ill from layoff after layoff after layoff the deadwood left behind is part of the Old Boys Club = suck ups that don't contribute.

If you are unwilling to suck up, keep your mouth completely shut, be a yes-person, never criticise, work insane hours (they don't mention the middle of the night conference calls with India) then you'll do well. Until they decide you're superfluous to requirements and set you up to jettison you as well!

Advice to Management

You're all leaches and treat employees like chattels. Sell the company to whomever you're positioning it for a sale to and take your fat payoffs and leave as the rats are already!

"Decent company but Symantec and Veritas never really merged product lines"

Current Employee - Technical Product Manager
    Current Employee - Technical Product Manager

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, good colleagues, good office environment.

Cons

Symantec can create security products in a VMware environment, and doesn't understand that Veritas needs access to AIX/Solaris equipment and multiple types of storage devices to engineer and QA our products. As a result, our competitors often out-pace us in introducing new software and technologies, and we often end up responding rather than leading.

Advice to Management

Need to finish Symantec/Veritas split and then Veritas needs to invest in engineering/QA, both equipment and man power. If we could get more of our features in each release, and ship with less bugs, we should be able to get back to leading again.

"It was a good run"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation
    Location
    Working with brilliant engineers
    Plenty of food
    A good place to learn PM fundamentals
    Opportunities to grow if you're smart and aggressive

Cons

Slow to innovate
    Development cycles too long
    Big company pace and thinking
    Cost cutting taking the fun out of the place (no end of quarter drinks, home internet no longer expendable, no more Xmas party, travel cutbacks, hiring reductions, being asked to do more with smaller budgets every year)