Symantec Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Symantec CEO Greg Clark
Greg Clark

Pros
  • The culture at Symantec encourages a strong work/life balance (in 429 reviews)

• Work life balance good but depends upon manager (in 70 reviews)

Cons

"Avoid this place like the plague"

Current Employee - Principal Technical Account Manager in Springfield, OR
    Current Employee - Principal Technical Account Manager in Springfield, OR

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best part of this job is working indoors, although the HVAC system seems to be controlled by either untrained chimps or someone who actively hates people.

Cons

Everyone is a number on a spreadsheet, with VP's unspoken opinion of "you'll take what we give you or move it to India." VPs are utterly out of touch with what happens "in the trenches" and don't care about anything other than the stock price.

Advice to Management

Treat the employees like former CEO Steve Bennett did. Stop thinking of us last, and treating us like "fungible assets".

"top heavy. Driven by incompetent PMOs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of free time.
    Attractive campus.
    New executive team. They've done nothing of value yet, but one can try and be optimistic that they will help over time.

Cons

Projects are PMO driven which wouldn't be so bad if the ones hired were not all incompetent, egotistical, and just plain unpleasant people.
    Company is hugely top heavy, and if you are an individual contributor even a top one you are spat upon on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone management (including product and project management) and start fresh. Atmosphere is poisonous and anti-work. Very silo driven, where everyone senior in R&D hates, for example, IT and GSO and mandates are ignored (with lies being told that we are listening to them).

"Huge Let Down"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Symantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Symantec has nice employees, and has lots of perks for employees - cafeteria, free phone and laptop, and company card for travel. Also, they are a huge operation which means lots of resources and budget for all departments.

Cons

Symantec has these lifer employees that are entrenched and not going anywhere. In order to get anything done you have to get past them because there are no leaders to help you. That means unless you love networking, constantly selling, and presentations you'll fail as an employee. Also, productivity is not measured by accomplishments, revenue, or innovation. Popularity and presentation skills are everything. This lack of leadership creates an environment with huge turnover - top talent leaves constantly and reductions in force (layoffs) are frequent. Overall, their marketing and sales are stuck in the last century - to them innovation is a four-letter word. Engineering is comprised of teams of puppies on a leash.

Advice to Management

Symantec needs real leaders. Learn the market, make decisions. Hire innovators rather than spreadsheet jockeys and folks who know nothing about digital marketing. Create an actual opportunities for advancement based on productivity.

"Beware false advertisement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR

I have been working at Symantec full-time

Pros

All the benefits that made this job worthwhile have been taken away in contradiction to the company policies.

Cons

Management is not up to the task of doing what needs to be done and they are dragging the company down with them. They are disconnected from the employees doing the work and are just going through the motions collecting paychecks. A bunch of liars who only care about themselves and allow dishonest employees to thrive. Managers show up a few hours late most days take a 2-3 hour lunch then leave way early. Unless you are up the managers butts they pick on you and force extra work on you because of the employees who abuse the system.

Employees complain to managers about others to get focus off themselves for doing worse. Employees show up late every day and leave early take 2+ hour lunches and multiple hour long breaks. They set status to reflect work to disguise away from desk times. They also cheat by closing cases before they are fixed to make numbers look good. The good employees have to pick up the slack by getting the reopened and abandoned difficult cases. Either management does not know or does not care about this behavior. It is like working with a bunch of kids, it is ridiculous.

If you want to work at a place where things are do as I say but not as I do then this is the place.

"Going nowhere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Symantec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comparable salary and benefits. All benefits access is 3rd party. Some new technology. Commuting expense assistance.

Cons

In the dark ages. Unable to move their cash-cow products into the 21st century. Poor management. No direction. Too many restarts. Incompetency overwhelms. Incomplete new technology deployments impacts end users making daily work tasks virtually impossible.

Advice to Management

Dump incompetent and useless management in Cambridge. Hold technology teams responsible for correctly deploying new services. Try listening to users requirements before implementing some new service and forcing people to change their processes.

"Hostile Working Environment for Software Engineers"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Culver City, CA

I worked at Symantec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Has office in a nice location in LA.
    Above average dental and medical plans.

Cons

One scrum master in the team has little engineering knowledge but has bad tantrum.
    One product owner is obsessed playing politics.
    Very little career opportunities because company is cutting the bones.
    Layoff each year.
    Old and slow devices for development
    Managers create a lot of stress on engineers for no reason.
    Not much innovation.
    Managers are running out of ideas and they keep asking engineers to provide ideas or they lay you off. But how can engineers give you more when they are loaded with unreasonable scrum and planning meetings!
    Managers don't have any innovation ideas and even no coding skills but keep engineering engineers.

Advice to Management

None. Two friends left for better employment and I got hired by a company that offered free lunch, free dinner, unlimited PTOs, a quarter million equities.

"Worst 401k and MTO ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Symantec full-time

Pros

Nothing seems to be pros

Cons

1. max 401K is 3000 or 5% of salary which one is lower, that's not the worst, worst part is you need 4 years to get this pathetic match. 4 years ....
    2. Symantec acquired Bluecoat system, but they wouldn't pay out any PTO until 6.30.2018!!! If you leave after 3.31.2017, you need another year to get full pay out. Cheap!
    3. Ridiculous org structure, so many vps and managers has no one under them,

Advice to Management

Bring jobs back from abroad.

"Tired"

Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Symantec full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great people, used to be good technology

Cons

Layoffs, lack of strategy... they said the restructuring in 4.0 would only effect management - inaccurate, as individual contributors were continuously laid off until the Veritas divestiture

Advice to Management

Get a strategy, don't say something unless you mean it

"Manager"

Pros

The troops on the ground doing the work are the best in the world.

Cons

VP's and above have no idea what's going on below them. Some VP's don't report up how bad moral is.

Advice to Management

Get out of your ivory towers and go visit your sites and listen to the people doing the work not the VP over them. You might get to hear some truth as to what's really going on and how your employees feel.

"Poor Work Atmosphere"

Former Contractor - Principal SQA Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - Principal SQA Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Symantec as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They offered me a Job.I learnt different concepts in a short period of time.Every day there will be challenges in that company.You will get to be experienced with differnt kinds of people who will play politics and pull us down even though they dont have the skills and caliber they will distract us.

Cons

Worst Manager who does Micro Mangement and treat the employees and the consultant differently.They dont let the employess to work for more time they let the consultants to work for more time and does not even pay for our extra work.They pay very less for the consultants and demand more job...They wiill hire as a manual trester and demand us to do automation so that when they offfer they will offfer less not even the minimum salary and ask us to do more work once we are inside the company.Once we are done with the work without the contract ends they will throw us outside the company even though we are the deserved candidate...

Advice to Management

Dont do Micro Management

Showing 215 of 2,982 reviews