Symantec Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Great Employer"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Springfield, OR
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Springfield, OR

I worked at Symantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best place I've worked, if you can live with unpredictable nature of the tech industry. Great benefits, great working environment, excellent diversity, volunteerism and matching funds. I learned a great deal and loved every moment.

Cons

Volatile nature of tech industry as a whole means shifting resource needs.

2. "We protect more people from more online threats than anyone in the world"

Current Employee - ECommerce Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - ECommerce Manager in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Work that matters. It's what we do at Symantec. Symantec is the world leader in providing solutions to help individuals and enterprises assure the security, availability, and integrity of their information. In essence, we protect the free flow of information in a connected world. As the fourth largest independent software company in the world, Symantec has operations in more than 40 countries with 475 out of Fortune's global 500 companies using our solutions.

People look to us to safeguard the integrity of their information, ensuring it is secure and available. Achieving this ambitious goal is only possible through the combined efforts of the innovators and visionaries that Symantec continuously attracts. Symantec draws the very best people with a variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and provides them with a work environment where uniqueness is valued and empowered. The creative people we attract help define the spirit of innovation at Symantec.

Cons

Competitive atmosphere will either make or break you. Symantec has grown to twice in size in less than 3 years after the merge with Veritas so there is now a mixed culture of both old and new culture which is both good and bad. The stock is no longer as fast as it was a couple of years ago when there was a Virus Outbreak almost every month. There is also a misperception of secured PCs becuase of the new OS features of Microsoft which gives ordinary folks a false impression of being secured. IN short, we are not as "hot" as we were before.

Advice to Management

I know the consumer business is making all the right moves with our "new" strategy. Let's bring back the fun, bring back our power with the Norton brand, and kick butt again!!!

"It sometimes takes years to understand the wisdom and innovation of true visionaries."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

Symantec is a great place to work for a lot of reasons. In my 13+ years at the company, I have been able shape my responsibilities around the areas that I am most interested in, but it was up to me to do the shaping. I have had several job changes within the company, all because I chose them, which makes it seems like the time has flown by. Another great thing about working at Symantec is the flexibility the company allows employees, especially employees who are top performers. I feel valued and trusted, and have been given flexibility to work from home, have flexible scheduling, and so on. Our leadership team is not afraid of making changes when things are not working. People who do not react well to change may see that as a negative, but I see it as an organic company that responds to the needs of its shareholders and customers. I am particularly happy about the appointment of Enrique Salem as Chief Operating Officer. He is a great asset to the executive team in this expanded role.

Cons

About the only downside I can reference is that some of our communications vehicles are not as high tech as they could be. It is sometimes difficult to communicate to such a diverse workforce spread across 40+ locations worldwide.

Advice to Management

Just continue to be open and honest with employees. We can take the hard messages along with the celebrations. We are all on the bus together.

"Symantec knows how to take care of it's employees."

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Lindon, UT
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Lindon, UT

Pros

They realize that programmers are often over ambitious in their time schedule and compensate for it. They have a great atmosphere and are very helpful. If ever you get stuck there isn't a person who wouldn't drop what they are doing to help you get your problem resolved. Innovation is clearly something they are working for.

Cons

It's a large company so some of the way the process moves isn't as flexible as it could be it's almost a waterfall type of development and software engineer approach.

Advice to Management

So far things have been really smooth. It would be helpful if we were allowed time to find way's in which we can grow Symantec's product line, or a place in which people, who might know all the ins and outs of the software stack, can post ideas for people who might be more knowledgeable, and help mature promising ideas.

5. "My Symantec: The world is a safer place because of my employer."

Current Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Opportunity to be part of an innovative company. Part of one of the largest technology companies in the world. Symantec embraces a flat organizational chart that allows for easier access to senior officers. Symatec senior management has regular meetings to discuss the health of the company and how each employee is important to the overall success of the company.

Open door policies.

Cons

There are really not many downsides of working at Symantec. I would think that since Symantec is doing well that other companies may want the opportunity to acquire Symantec in a multi-billion dollar deal that would leave some of the employees to deal with yet another merger. But, the downsides are only a sign of better times on the horizon.

Advice to Management

That we strive to provide more open doors in Latin America and the Carribean. With my roots in the latino culture, I have a genuine hunger for seeing Latin America excel in all aspects of life. I believe that Symantec can be part of satiating the hunger that I share with millions of Latino professionals.

6. "Symantec Corporation"

Current Employee - IT Principal Business Analyst in Springfield, OR
    Current Employee - IT Principal Business Analyst in Springfield, OR

Pros

People & Pay. Flexible with PTO

Cons

Very fast paced. If you do not like change then this is not the company for you. Also if you are in IT - not a very safe place to move... it appears this company may be outsourcing soon.

Advice to Management

No feedback

7. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Eugene, OR

Pros

Fast growing company. Provides opportunity for career growth. Good training opportunities if you have the time. Benefits are very good and comparable to other Tech companies. There are good opportunities to recognize co-workers that was introducted recently. This is in addition to the quarterly team and individual recognization programmes. Bonus plan is good. There are good network for women and diversity programs. Also offers flexible timing and work from home options which is good.

Cons

People have to put in long hours as in any Tech Global company. Lot of time is spent in consolidating data due to M&A

Advice to Management

Sr Mgt should focus on the company assets ie. the people working for company.

8. "A great career"

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Springfield, OR
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Springfield, OR

Pros

Symantec trains and keeps employees up to date on the latest tehnologies. Their beneftit package is the best in the area. The cooperation between departments is an example that most other companies should take a good look at. Being a global company and since the recent merger with Veritas, new standards had to be estalished acodd both companies and the consistancy of delivery to legacy customers had to be maintained. I think management has done a great job n moving forward wih this difficult task and the cooperation of all departments was commendable. Processes still need work to smoth them out, even after a couple of years, but overall it is one of the best places to work in my career.

Cons

They base their pay on the surrounding city labor market and the difference in pay for the same position varies as much as 45% between locations. It's a great theory, but it doesn't cost 45% more to live in the portland area as it does in the Eugene area.

Advice to Management

Simplify the processes.

"Join Symantec"

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

Pros

Symantec people are absolutely fantastic - friendly, energetic and driven. They are very encouraging and supportive and provide their employees opportunities to succeed and learn. Great environment.

Cons

Sometimes I feel its toooo big .. I just hope we dont have any more buying.

Advice to Management

Please don't buy any more companies

10. "Keepin It Real"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Some of the health benefits offered have been claimed by dr.s themselves as "the best they have seen in their office." Management is extremely flexible with the employee. THey also have a gym at this location that is decent enough to get a healthy workout. The food court has an excellent Tikka Masala.

Cons

Merit raises have been halted. Could be due to economy. I don't think they are directly competitive with the market in terms of salary.

Advice to Management

If you notice issues with employees that are evident to the whole team, YOU and only you have the ability to make a difference and see that the employee takes steps steps toward improving performance. It is up to YOU to speak to the employee and lay out a plan of improvement and deadlines for results. Please take this part of your job seriously. Thank you.

Showing 3,134 of 3,267 reviews