Symantec Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Symantec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the teams had great people to work with, most notably the former VeriSign employees. Decent pay and benefits. Work/Life balance on some teams very flexible.

Cons

Terrible culture. Poor management with NO direction. Low morale.

"Hire and Fire"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Eugene, OR

I worked at Symantec (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good place while you're there, assuming you're willing to work hard. Better than average benefits, pay is at or above market, good camaraderie. The work I was assigned was important and interesting, and kudos for good work were free-flowing. Management bent over backward to make sure I had all the tools and help I needed.

Cons

Constant upheaval. Overall business strategies last about a year, then it's out with the old boss, in with the new, and "here's our new strategy going forward." This results in projects that are obsolete before they're finished, "workforce reductions" executed due solely to executive cost-cutting pressure even when the company is swimming in cash, and constant under-staffing leading to overworked employees. I was consistently told I was doing good work, but was there for less than a year when the axe fell -- meaning that all those great stock and 401k benefits I was promised never vested.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees, your most valuable resources, as resource numbers on a page. In particular, stop firing people just because you won't need them until next quarter. And while they're there, move beyond your assumption that each worker is capable of doing the work of three in order to meet your arbitrary deadlines.

"Technology departments not aligned"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I worked at Symantec (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary and benefits. fun technology

Cons

Removed work from home benefit. Tech teams don;t play nicely together and seem to conflict in direction Its a mess over there within technology.

Advice to Management

Get your acts together and start working together for a better Symantec.

"HR"

Former Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Symantec (Less than a year)

Pros

Good workplace flexibility and benefits.

Cons

Not a very strategic organization. Highly decentralized and difficult to reach goals with constantly changing leadership.

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Marketing in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager, Marketing in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Symantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Above market salary and benefits
    -Working with some talented people
    -work/life balance

Cons

-Constant layoffs create competitive environment
    -Very political culture, rewarded for who you know not results
    -Unstable managment, constant turnover in attrition and firing at the top makes for disorder
    -Re-org every 6 months, 5 CEO changes in the last 4 years equals unproductive work environment
    -Overly conservative management (afraid to get fired) leads to status quo and slow change

Advice to Management

The organization needs to be more agile and competitive in the market. Create a stable environment that retains talent and rewards results, not vanity numbers.

"would not recommend now"

Former Employee - Senior IT Infrastructure Specialist in Springfield, OR
    Former Employee - Senior IT Infrastructure Specialist in Springfield, OR

I worked at Symantec (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you find the right team with symantec- the job is rewarding. There are always new challenges if you are the kind of person that likes this

Cons

I have worked for this company for approximately 26 years, and it seems to me, most of the time, executives and the board of directors have a "short-term" view of the direction of the company. I have been through many periods whereby Symantec has spent money on "visions" (i.e. acquisitions) that don't work ending up in cutting back and losing great talent... Symantec needs to learn to balance short-term vision (to please investors) and at the same time have a long-term vision especially when it comes to preserving good talent.. in this industry, employess are essential assets to produce a great and revolutionary product..Hopefully Symantec will head in this

Advice to Management

For at least the next 6 months, I would not recommend employment for this company. They are downsizing (again). When Symantec does these resource reductions, they lose a lot good talent. During these times they don't look at employee performance. They just cut across the board... to me this is very short-term focused as I mentioned above. Hope the Venture Capitalist that have board positions will see this but I seriously doubt since they want quick return on their investment.. in this industry, employees are the essential assets to producing a great and revolutionary product.... Currently Management does not really see this. Hopefully Symantec will head in this direction.. I sincerely hope it succeeds..

"A Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Symantec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and good benefits, nice work environment with flexible schedules and work location, strong company culture that's dedicated to diversity, inclusion, and developing personnel. Most employees are very nice and collaborative.

Cons

No work-life balance, inconsistent/ever-changing leadership, no strategy endures for more than a year, stack ranking of employees discourages collaboration and encourages back stabbing.

Advice to Management

Choose a committed leadership team, choose a strategy, and stick with it for a few years

"Limited work/life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Symantec (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, thoughtful and dedicated employees for the most part. Good brand and technology in security space. Nice offices and frequent informal parties.

Cons

Frequent leadership changes. Old school processes and systems. Work in-office requirements make work/life balance very limited. Low salaries and bonuses comparatively.

Advice to Management

Invest in new system and latest industry practices. Trust people to manage work/life balance. Make an effort to retain and grow good employees.

"Architect"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Symantec full-time

Pros

The work hours are flexible and many of the projects are interesting. The work environment is also quite good with co-workers fun and polite

Cons

Too many bureaucratic processes at each step. The goal to upward movement in career is also not clear.

Advice to Management

Cut down the layers in the processes to use new technology and provide a clear goal in the career path.

"A high risk choice"

Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec (More than a year)

Pros

Standard large corporate campus, pay and benefits
    No pressure, low expectations
    Some pretty brilliant people are still here

Cons

This is a very sales-oriented short-term thinking company. Managers focus on winning the next deal rather than building a well-functioning organization or developing employees. Frequent changes of direction and poor communication mean that you're never sure where you stand. Internal systems are a total bureaucratic mess. Layoffs are frequent and continuing.

The dominant culture (if there is a culture) is engineering-driven, South Asian, and overwhelmingly male. If that's you, and you thrive on chaos, Symantec could be a good place for you.

Advice to Management

Respect and value your employees. Provide clear and consistent direction so they don't waste their time (and your money) doing unnecessary work. Show up for meetings with them, preferably on time. Evaluate people managers on their ability to help employees succeed.

Showing 434 of 3,167 reviews