Symantec Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 25, 2017
2,945 reviews

Full-time Part-time

2,945 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • The culture at Symantec encourages a strong work/life balance (in 436 reviews)

• Work life balance good but depends upon manager (in 71 reviews)

Cons

"Avoid this place like the plague"

Current Employee - Principal Technical Account Manager in Springfield, OR
    Current Employee - Principal Technical Account Manager in Springfield, OR

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best part of this job is working indoors, although the HVAC system seems to be controlled by either untrained chimps or someone who actively hates people.

Cons

Everyone is a number on a spreadsheet, with VP's unspoken opinion of "you'll take what we give you or move it to India." VPs are utterly out of touch with what happens "in the trenches" and don't care about anything other than the stock price.

Advice to Management

Treat the employees like former CEO Steve Bennett did. Stop thinking of us last, and treating us like "fungible assets".

2. "Product Owner/Release Coordinator"

Current Employee - Product Owner/Release Coordinator in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Product Owner/Release Coordinator in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice place for people who are looking for work/balance environment

Cons

Benefits are great but salary not so much

Advice to Management

It takes forever to deliver new idea or adopt to new technology. Too much control and 'road blocks'

"Every single day I would receive a goodbye email from an FTE"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I worked in the SF office and it was a great location. Plus the people I worked with were great, with the exception of my direct supervisor, but she's no longer there anymore and so that would have made it much better for me personally.

I loved the benefits, my offer was great, I thought the hiring process was very smart (feedback was instant vs. long drawn out processes at other previous employers) and the employees really really seemed to care about doing the right (right) thing for the customer - this was awesome to be a part of
    HR was great, they were there when I needed assistance after having my baby
    It may have been my group but compared to my earlier company the workforce seemed to be a little more on teh SR side, which was awesome because they were more mature, less immature competitive office politics and more focus on actual work.

Cons

My direct manager was incredibly un-supportive and my skip level supported her (which I understood was his job) but in my defense she really wrote some nasty emails about him, the company, the job, the people, and set me up badly. The worst part was I felt like reading through the lines he could see what was happening but just didn't have the guts to say 'hey I know she's wrong i'm going to take care of it' - or maybe he couldn't, I don't know... but she did a 360 on me and all my feedback (her words) was positive, the only thing she could come uip with for me to work on was to take less notes and 'maybe take notes on paper'.... UhhhhhM as a Sr. Project Manager i'm not going to do this and waste time copying them back onto my PC for my meeting note emails, sorry bad feedback :-|.

Advice to Management

If you hire an employee who was honest enough to tell you in the interview process she's pregnant please give her the standard time off that you give all employees (i.e. 4 - 5 months which is what was given to a colleague who went on maternity leave a month after I joined the company.

"Know the landscape are you will be on the outside looking in"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Symantec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People - I can't say enough about the non-management personnel at Symantec. Everyone worked hard to deliver within the many constraints and few expansions during my time I was employed there. I felt it was a total team effort with no egos overtaking the goal of working for delivery for customers.
    Management - There are some really good managers and leaders at Symantec. Some that truly care about delivering a product, contributing to the bottom line and motivating their personnel to expand beyond their given role and help cultivate them to become leaders in the company.
    Compensation - The pay was exceptional as were the benefits. Compensation was more than fair and the potential to receive company stock enhances the overall earning potential with the company.

Cons

Delays in innovation or lack of innovation - It was really hard to have request changes or implement new changes when enhancements were fully vetted or requests for innovation couldn't happen because the infrastructure doesn't support it or managers didn't see the value in it.
    Management - Managers who openly play favorites, focus only on the one or two people that can make them look good and take little to no time to mentor/praise the rest of their teams unless their hands are forced by senior management. Nepotism seems to be the big open secret that no one ever wants to address but secretly question given some of the promotions that took place.
    Workload - Never a chance to "turn if off" when I left the office. 50-60 hour work weeks were common as were weekend issues with unsatisfactory customers.

Advice to Management

Time for some changes in product expansion, service delivery and sales. A lot of complacency in those areas and the wheels just keep spinning in the mud.

"top heavy. Driven by incompetent PMOs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of free time.
    Attractive campus.
    New executive team. They've done nothing of value yet, but one can try and be optimistic that they will help over time.

Cons

Projects are PMO driven which wouldn't be so bad if the ones hired were not all incompetent, egotistical, and just plain unpleasant people.
    Company is hugely top heavy, and if you are an individual contributor even a top one you are spat upon on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone management (including product and project management) and start fresh. Atmosphere is poisonous and anti-work. Very silo driven, where everyone senior in R&D hates, for example, IT and GSO and mandates are ignored (with lies being told that we are listening to them).

"Huge Let Down"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Symantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Symantec has nice employees, and has lots of perks for employees - cafeteria, free phone and laptop, and company card for travel. Also, they are a huge operation which means lots of resources and budget for all departments.

Cons

Symantec has these lifer employees that are entrenched and not going anywhere. In order to get anything done you have to get past them because there are no leaders to help you. That means unless you love networking, constantly selling, and presentations you'll fail as an employee. Also, productivity is not measured by accomplishments, revenue, or innovation. Popularity and presentation skills are everything. This lack of leadership creates an environment with huge turnover - top talent leaves constantly and reductions in force (layoffs) are frequent. Overall, their marketing and sales are stuck in the last century - to them innovation is a four-letter word. Engineering is comprised of teams of puppies on a leash.

Advice to Management

Symantec needs real leaders. Learn the market, make decisions. Hire innovators rather than spreadsheet jockeys and folks who know nothing about digital marketing. Create an actual opportunities for advancement based on productivity.

8. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

I worked at Symantec (More than a year)

Pros

Good People, Good Benefits and Good Flexibility

Cons

Mind boggling Bureaucracy
    Lack of Diversity among People of color

Advice to Management

Look for great decision makers outside of IT.

"should encourage innovation not regressing"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Symantec (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a decent company in a red-hot sector

Cons

Too conservation to protect its own shrinking sectors, and do not take risk to go into high-growth sectors. Inside the company, has a culture to suppress its own employees' innovation ideas, and kept the status quo who knows things in the past, not things up coming.

"Good people, challenging product set"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Symantec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Symantec had a lot of collaborative people, so it was great to work across product lines and business units.

Cons

Due to the large infrastructure, it was challenging to get new products launched. "Too many cooks in the kitchen" led to a passed blame when things were running behind schedule.

11. "Sales at Symantec"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Symantec (More than 3 years)

Pros

reasonable quotas, great training, independence in running your own territory to achieve you r ojectives

Cons

For a big company, the company did very little to help reps market and promote Symantec products. Also sometimes slow to respond to industry trends and need

Advice to Management

Be more aggressive in acquiring and integrating cutting edge technoogies, especially cloud based computing and software as a service

Showing 2,945 of 3,063 reviews