Symantec Senior Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Symantec CEO Greg Clark
Greg Clark

Pros
  • The culture at Symantec encourages a strong work/life balance (in 429 reviews)

• Work life balance good but depends upon manager (in 70 reviews)

1. "Stabilizing"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Symantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large company with lots of opportunities.

Cons

Went through a series of reductions in force. Will need to integrate BlueCoat and Lifelock

Advice to Management

Take a break from M&A and build out what you have today.

"Every single day I would receive a goodbye email from an FTE"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I worked in the SF office and it was a great location. Plus the people I worked with were great, with the exception of my direct supervisor, but she's no longer there anymore and so that would have made it much better for me personally.

I loved the benefits, my offer was great, I thought the hiring process was very smart (feedback was instant vs. long drawn out processes at other previous employers) and the employees really really seemed to care about doing the right (right) thing for the customer - this was awesome to be a part of
    HR was great, they were there when I needed assistance after having my baby
    It may have been my group but compared to my earlier company the workforce seemed to be a little more on teh SR side, which was awesome because they were more mature, less immature competitive office politics and more focus on actual work.

Cons

My direct manager was incredibly un-supportive and my skip level supported her (which I understood was his job) but in my defense she really wrote some nasty emails about him, the company, the job, the people, and set me up badly. The worst part was I felt like reading through the lines he could see what was happening but just didn't have the guts to say 'hey I know she's wrong i'm going to take care of it' - or maybe he couldn't, I don't know... but she did a 360 on me and all my feedback (her words) was positive, the only thing she could come uip with for me to work on was to take less notes and 'maybe take notes on paper'.... UhhhhhM as a Sr. Project Manager i'm not going to do this and waste time copying them back onto my PC for my meeting note emails, sorry bad feedback :-|.

Advice to Management

If you hire an employee who was honest enough to tell you in the interview process she's pregnant please give her the standard time off that you give all employees (i.e. 4 - 5 months which is what was given to a colleague who went on maternity leave a month after I joined the company.

3. "Sales at Symantec"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Symantec (More than 3 years)

Pros

reasonable quotas, great training, independence in running your own territory to achieve you r ojectives

Cons

For a big company, the company did very little to help reps market and promote Symantec products. Also sometimes slow to respond to industry trends and need

Advice to Management

Be more aggressive in acquiring and integrating cutting edge technoogies, especially cloud based computing and software as a service

"A potentially great company, once it knows who to be when it grows up."

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Springfield, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Springfield, OR

I have been working at Symantec (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly talented people employed by Symantec, committed to delighting our customers and channel partners globally. Tremendous upside is present. No other company can compete in an end to end solution offering.

Cons

5 CEO's in the past decade. Get the VC money out of the equation, and get to work. Too many carpet baggers looting the company.

Advice to Management

Treat the employees as an asset. Not as an expendable line item.

6. "Senior Program Manager"

Former Employee - Senior IT Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Symantec (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Company for career growth and stability.

Cons

Need to put in lot of efforts and maintain relationships with the peers, for the vertical growth

"If you get in the right group, it's great"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager

I worked at Symantec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked with smart fun people on interesting projects.

Cons

Lack of direction, focus, constant reorgs meant it was hard to get things done effectively. Much wasted time.

Advice to Management

Pull the company forward, not backward. Build a dynamic tech culture.

"What can be said?... 4th CEO in 4 years..."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Work flexibility
    - Nice amenities

Cons

- Constant change in direction due to recurring leadership change
    - Does not feel like you can ever get anything done through completion because of the above
    - Often the head does not talk to the hand and vice-versa, leading to an on-going pretty messy environment, especially around programs/projects.

Advice to Management

To the new management: keep in mind you are about the 4th leadership team coming in within the last 4 years, with its management re-shuffling and with the same message (whatever was done before was not great/wrong/bad, we know what to do, we have a clear and better vision, we are building for the long-term, stay focused on what you are doing, etc.). So do not expect people to jump at every “Aha moment” you may experience or at anything you may feel very excited about. Every employee is waiting to see if you are going to pass the 12-18 month mark anyway, before potentially buying into or committing to whatever you have to say. So in the meantime, try to stay humble, don’t think you know it all, keep an open attitude and engage with your employees.

"Change is constant"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Heathrow, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Heathrow, FL

I worked at Symantec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Product Strategy and vision for the future

Cons

Stress and constant leadership change! Site strategy was more important than the skills the employee brought to the table

Advice to Management

look at your employees for what they bring to the table rather than the college they graduated or did not graduate from or if they are located at a site.

"No vision, and Bluecoat runs things now"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Symantec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good compensation and bonus program. Flexible work environment.

Cons

13 years there and almost literally every year there was a layoff. Now it is cut to the bone. No money for proper headcount. No vision. No strategy. It's cut, cut, cut. To top it off the Bluecoat acquisition was a reverse acquisition and BC is now calling the shots. All leadership is now BC.

Advice to Management

Invest in people and programs. Stop the incessant cutting of costs. Morale is abysmal.

11. "Lots of opportunity, some politics"

Former Employee - Senior Manager Customer Support in Heathrow, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager Customer Support in Heathrow, FL

I worked at Symantec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Huge company with global reach. Working with colleagues across the world. Opportunities in Enterprise Software or Consumer products. Very good benefits and competitive pay.

Cons

Politics can be challenging, periodic layoffs, which aren't too bad if you've been there a while you get a generous separation.

Advice to Management

Hard to tell after the split with Veritas...focus on employment levels through targeted attrition vs. layoffs.