Symetra Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Symetra President, CEO, and Director Thomas M. (Tom) Marra
Thomas M. (Tom) Marra

Pros
  • The work-life balance is great and you feel that everyone around you truly cares (in 27 reviews)

• The company offers good Benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a poor Work-life balance, lack of priority (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management out of touch with the realities of front line employees (in 10 reviews)

1. "Case Manager"

I worked at Symetra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location is nice. Walking distance to the mall. Bellevue is beautiful. View is wonderful. Some people are good-looking and fun to work with. Some hot guys are nice to work with.

Cons

The biggest downside for me is super low pay!!! It is unbelievable that such a successful company pays very little to its managers. They just give people managers' titles but pay like you work in a call center. Also they have late policy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really????????!!!!!!!!! If you are late more than 7 times a year, they will let you go. Really? what a sick person came up with this policy?!!! And they do count how many times you call in sick. But the best part of the job is being constantly monitored by quality assurance team. They listen to the phone calls, monitor data entry etc. On top of all of that craziness, parking is $170 a month. They just basically steal money from my check. I am glad i found a better job with less stress and more money. Don't work at Symetra!!! Extremely cheap company!!!!

Advice to Management

My advice for them is to go to hell with this low pay, very poor benefits and stupid late policy. I will never have any business with Symetra. Treating your employees that bad just shows how you treat your clients. Bad, bad, bad!

"Sweat Shop"

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It has heat and air conditioning.

Cons

It was a nice place to work until the company was taken over by new management a few years ago.

The place is driven by fear, tacit threats and overt intimidation. Deadlines are unrealistic, with many overtime hours without compensation or recognition.

Middle management is a collage of odious buffoons, imbeciles, and bullies. Cubicles are tiny, and they pack us in like sardines. They took away telecommuting, gradually making it suck more and more to work there, as if they are testing our breaking point.

Most of the managers in my department had no insurance or financial background; I believe they were hired based upon their ability to bully and intimidate. They would shout at us and drop f-bombs, in meetings and on the floor. I have seen women driven to tears by tirades over minor oversights. I am sure the managers never read the HR policy on Civil Treatment.

I was in the business for over thirty years, and I never worked at a place worse than this. A back-stabbing environment where there is zero trust among employees and everyone fears the managers. And if you make a mistake, you will be treated at best to a public chewing-out. Keel-hauling is the preferred method of discipline. Avoid this toxic place at all costs.

Advice to Management

You are beyond all hope and redemption.

"Senior Leadership is bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Symetra full-time

Pros

Good people below the senior level, benefits were OK, time off was average.

Cons

Leadership doesn't care about staff. They don't provide real opportunities for growth and have cut themselves off from the home office. HR rep is a crony to senior leadership.

Advice to Management

Having worked in both offices, I can say this remote office has good potential but poor leadership at the top.

"Very Poor Experience"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary was decent but business processes archaic

Cons

This company has eliminated so many long standing employees and replaced them with recent community college graduates. Management is unethical.

Advice to Management

Have Mr Marra do something for his 4 mill a year besides golf the world.

"Business Analyst III"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are friendly and work together to get the job done.

Cons

Management is clueless about everything! They have no idea how to run a project and assume people will work late nights and weekends to finish a project that they gave unrealistic deadlines too. Not enough people to get the job done. They would rather meet a date with a project than have a better quality project a few weeks later.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees fair. Give them a life outside of work! Only promote their favorites.

"Nope nope nope"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location is decent. There are some decent people there.

Cons

No on-boarding, barely any feedback on how you're doing.
    People keep getting promoted into management positions and have zero leadership skills.
    Bullying!
    Cannot trust HR to have your back.
    Working you with un-communicated expectations. If you ask questions, you're looked down upon and they think you don't know your job.
    Turn over is ridiculous in the Retirement Division yet everyone is afraid to voice their concerns for fear of being the next to go.
    Do as I say, not as I do mentality.
    If you're not IN, you're out of there if they don't like you.
    It's high school all over again. The good, the bad, the cliques, everything.
    Pay was not competitive.

Advice to Management

Lead your employees. Communicate expectations and don't expect the world of them unless you build them up. Upper leadership should look at the turn over rates and employees leaving the company and why.

"Terrible Company. Treat Employees like Slaves"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Bellevue Location. Nothing having to do with whats inside the building.

Cons

Stay away from this place especially the retirement New Business department. They will use you for all you got and make you feel terrible about it. Not worth it and keep looking for jobs. I was treated the worst here out of all the places I worked and I was always performing well. They care about growing the company and nothing else. They cut salaries and other costs so they can grow but it takes a toll on the employees. Expect hard unrewarded work and low pay. Not for talent. Management team were just slave drivers that will make you feel like herded sheep competing for low compensation. Also wasn't allowed to bargain during the hiring process. I got a new job after just a short time because I couldn't handle it (Depression) and I am extremely friendly happy and outgoing. My new job pays a lot more, I'm treated better and i am sooooo much happier. Management deserves to all be replaced.

Advice to Management

You're all terrible and have bad karma. Theres no advice I owe you read above. You should all be replaced for how bad and incompetent you are. Maybe stop being selfish and thinking you are special, in the meantime people are going to keep bailing out. Wake up.

"Keep Looking"

Former Employee - Training Specialist in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Training Specialist in Waltham, MA

I worked at Symetra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable benefits, health, dental, life, 401K, Employee Stock Purchase, decent salary

Cons

Lack of integrity among management and HR. If you are not part of the inner management circle, you're opinions will be held against you regardless of the truth. If you are part of the inner circle, you can lie and still be held in high regard.

Advice to Management

Replace the current management with those who are qualified and do not make their decisions based on favoritism.

"Going Through lots of Negative Changes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some nice people who work here. This used to be a good company and hopefully it will be, someday in the distant future.

Cons

Many changes in personnel have led to many changes elsewhere: lots of long time employees were let go or moved on. Employees are being asked to do more, and it's not uncommon to be doing the work of two or three employees. The culture is not good, primarily because the CEO hired people from the east coast who seem convinced the long time employees didn't know what they were doing. It was tough seeing thoroughly competent employees walk out the door simply because senior management didn't want them there. Computer systems are antiquated - lots of overlapping administration systems that don't talk to each other and make it hard to provide quality customer service. Now is not the time to be considering employment at Symetra.

Advice to Management

In my opinion the damage has been done: too many quality employees have abandoned ship. You should be trying to build a quality company where employees want to work, not a hell hole where employees hate going to work.

"Revolving Door for career in Finance"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Bellevue, WA

Pros

- downtown Bellevue location (ideal for shopping)
    - office is nice
    - 401K matching

Cons

Turnover in Finance is ridiculously high, and it seemed to have gotten worse in recent years. At least 70% of people in Finance were hired within the last two years. Hard work & being loyal team player won’t get you far. Pay is low and expectations are unreasonable. Management will do what it takes to protect their friends and promote them even if they are not qualified for jobs. Once you become a target of management, they will make your work life miserable. Finance department is a revolving door – smart employees leave within a year once they figure out quickly that this place is where you end your career.

Advice to Management

Be fair and objective to your employees. Reward based on job performance, not based on personal preferences or friendships