Symetra Reviews | Glassdoor

Symetra Reviews

Updated July 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Really good work-life balance in most parts of the company (in 28 reviews)

• The company offers good Benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a poor Work-life balance, lack of priority (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management out of touch with the realities of front line employees (in 10 reviews)

"Symetra"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company is growing rapidly. Lots of opportunity to make an impact and make a difference. Fairly flat organizational structure with access to leadership.

Cons

Bullying mentality mistaken for tough love/ leadership style. Collaboration and relationship building are not valued. More of a a command and control style.

Advice to Management

Focus as much on the how as on the what of results. You have some amazing talent at your disposal that needs to be appreciated.

2. "Great Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashland, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashland, WI

I worked at Symetra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Flexible with work/home life balance. Wonderful management.

Cons

Lacks in the training area.

"Terrible Company. Treat Employees like Slaves"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Bellevue Location. Nothing having to do with whats inside the building.

Cons

Stay away from this place especially the retirement New Business department. They will use you for all you got and make you feel terrible about it. Not worth it and keep looking for jobs. I was treated the worst here out of all the places I worked and I was always performing well. They care about growing the company and nothing else. They cut salaries and other costs so they can grow but it takes a toll on the employees. Expect hard unrewarded work and low pay. Not for talent. Management team were just slave drivers that will make you feel like herded sheep competing for low compensation. Also wasn't allowed to bargain during the hiring process. I got a new job after just a short time because I couldn't handle it (Depression) and I am extremely friendly happy and outgoing. My new job pays a lot more, I'm treated better and i am sooooo much happier. Management deserves to all be replaced.

Advice to Management

You're all terrible and have bad karma. Theres no advice I owe you read above. You should all be replaced for how bad and incompetent you are. Maybe stop being selfish and thinking you are special, in the meantime people are going to keep bailing out. Wake up.

4. "An exciting place to begin your career"

Former Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company with a lot of exciting growth in it's industry. Good jobs for people just starting out. Great benefits. Staff is fairly young - early to late twenties mostly.

Cons

The sales department doesn't do enough to prepare its associates for state exams. They spent a lot of money to purchase the books but don't invest in classes that would be helpful in giving tips on where to concentrate studying. Given those limitations, they drop you if you don't pass the test a second time - or even the first time in some cases.

Advice to Management

A lot of the management seemed inexperienced. Would be ideal to have more depth in this area. Get some more experienced people in there to help balance out the company dynamic.

"SIU Investigator"

Current Employee - Fraud Investigator in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Fraud Investigator in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team! Benefits are good for the industry and area. HR is always available, the office environment is nice. The only reason I'm leaving is to join my husband out of state.

Cons

The office is located in downtown Bellevue. If you live close, the transit system is excellent. If you have to pay to park, cheap is $180/month.

"Beware of Shady Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Creek, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Creek, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are one of the best assets of this company (primarily non-management). Great community involvement. 401k matching is decent. Some divisions/teams are great to work for.

Cons

Too many middle managers. Upper level management (SLT) is unaware of how their managers may be treating employees. If you get on the wrong team with the wrong management, watch your back. They will target you for things totally unrelated to your job performance. Managers without any experience, and who should not be managers at all due to their poor treatment of employees, are kept in management positions simply because they are friends with their manager (therefore protected). Watch managements actions vs. what they say.

Advice to Management

ELT - Talk to the employees who work for your management team. Pay attention to what's taking place vs. what your being told. The daily lives of the employees (doing all the hard work to implement things to make the company money), may be experiencing very negative things in your organization that you are unaware of. HR doesn't seem to take employees talking to them about these situations very seriously as no changes or improvements are made. HR - start listening to the employees! If you are seeing a trend on a team, pay attention.

"Great Company - Great Future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong leadership with well defined vision for the future. Company is maturing internal IT processes to improve operational efficiencies. Sales and Growth on track for National Player status.
    Solid employee development plan. Great location. Good work life balance.

Cons

2 Weeks vacation to start.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"Stable job, low range compensation, great co-workers, management not great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mr. Marra wants to grow symetra to a national player status. Easier said than done. Pros are job stability and location. Some of the senior managers are very intelligent people that I approve of. I meet many nice people at the company and symetra has helped me overall. They also do offer quite.a bit.of training but it is only available if the work load is slow.

Cons

Good talent will leave because everyone is not treated like good talent. They advertise a great work life balance but PTO requests are not approved, overtime is pretty normal in my.department and many employees experience burnout. People that are intelligent and talented begin to leave because there are much better opportunities for them. The pay is insulting for the type of work I am doing and comparable roles make at least 20percent more. The low pay makes the morale in the department low and sad. Of course people will play favorites and all that, many managers made incompetent decisions or just plain didn't care about the employees on their teams. I do not want to speak for the whole company because every department is different and I respect that. This is a completely honest review from my personal experience. I will say I am much better off now than when I began at symetra and these are some things that dissapoint me about the role.

Advice to Management

Treat good, smart employees like good, smart employees, give people days off, respect your employees

"2nd Best Company in the PNW"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only beat by Microsoft, Symetra was recently ranked the 2nd best company to work for by the Seattle Times. There is an excellent work-life balance and there are many opportunities for growth and movement within the company.

Cons

As a growing company, there can be some challenges with old systems which can be frustrating and slow down your day. They are working to make improvements as they continue to grow.

Advice to Management

I would suggest making communication processes more streamlined and seamless. There are some challenges between various departments that causes delays and confusion.

"Keep Looking"

Former Employee - Training Specialist in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Training Specialist in Waltham, MA

I worked at Symetra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable benefits, health, dental, life, 401K, Employee Stock Purchase, decent salary

Cons

Lack of integrity among management and HR. If you are not part of the inner management circle, you're opinions will be held against you regardless of the truth. If you are part of the inner circle, you can lie and still be held in high regard.

Advice to Management

Replace the current management with those who are qualified and do not make their decisions based on favoritism.