Symetra Reviews | Glassdoor

Symetra Reviews

Updated April 12, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • The work-life balance is great and you feel that everyone around you truly cares (in 25 reviews)

• The company offers good Benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a poor Work-life balance, lack of priority (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management out of touch with the realities of front line employees (in 10 reviews)

1. "Great service oriented community"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Community and service oriented, lots of advancement/development opportunities

Cons

Management in some areas tends to be cliquey

2. "Symetra is a good company with some good employees. It is a medium size insurance company with over 1000 employees."

Former Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company with great products, good employees. Some policies can be pretty flexible depends on your managers. It is a growing company,

Cons

It is a growing company. Sometimes you don't have work life balance. Department hired a new manager recently. Micro manager.

"Revolving Door for career in Finance"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Bellevue, WA

Pros

- downtown Bellevue location (ideal for shopping)
    - office is nice
    - 401K matching

Cons

Turnover in Finance is ridiculously high, and it seemed to have gotten worse in recent years. At least 70% of people in Finance were hired within the last two years. Hard work & being loyal team player won’t get you far. Pay is low and expectations are unreasonable. Management will do what it takes to protect their friends and promote them even if they are not qualified for jobs. Once you become a target of management, they will make your work life miserable. Finance department is a revolving door – smart employees leave within a year once they figure out quickly that this place is where you end your career.

Advice to Management

Be fair and objective to your employees. Reward based on job performance, not based on personal preferences or friendships

"Not a good experience at all"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close to downtown Bellevue, lots of places to work too, free parking when need to be in Bellevue for any reason

Cons

Lay-offs do occur, benefits are average, very politically structured organization -- based on relationships and friends, not on performance and clear objectives. NO IT department management that has a roadmap strategy so people are not set up for success. Have difficulty hiring qualified people.

Advice to Management

Hire people that are capable in management positions and understand how to make culture shifts happen. Don't just promote people from within that have minimal experience. Objectively assess current managers -- many know how to manage the top but not below them.

"Great company!"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Symetra is a great company to work at!
    1) Professional and nice people
    2) Friendly and collaborative environment
    3) Challenging projects to keep you interested and motivated
    4) Good work-life balance
    5) Nice location for lunch walks :)

Cons

I am satisfied with everything so far, do not see any downsides yet.

Advice to Management

Keep up a good work in improving the excellence and having great people on-board!

"Can be good or terrible experience, and nowhere in between"

Former Employee - New Business Representative in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - New Business Representative in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Greta atmosphere outside of the daily grind. Company is committed to community service. Great medical benefits.

Cons

No training program; expects employees to learn on the fly while tying their bonus directly to output/accuracy. Departments don't work well together and blame other departments for overseights/screw ups. Upper management quick to hire friends as mid-level management without proper qualifications or knowledge of employee's jobs/duties. Seems like company is planning headquarter move to Iowa from their WA location

Advice to Management

Develop a training program for all employees. Promote from within department to mid-level rather than hire friends

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Unit Manager in Enfield, CT
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in Enfield, CT

I have been working at Symetra full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What a way to make a difference!! Being hired by this start up has been great for my career. I'm excited by all the new challenges and truly making a difference. The growth opportunities are amazing, and we are pulling in some very good talent.

Cons

No work from home and it seems we're running out of space, but a new design that will be coming next year will be great!

Advice to Management

I appreciate the time they give to listen to ideas from the staff. People are very helpful as well.

"Customer Service Rep - Don't do it"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits aren't bad, and you can get decent medical coverage for a reasonable amount of our of pocket expenses, but you have to be willing to share your health status in some detail with the health insurance company.

Cons

The training program they promise doesn't exist. I'd say it is the worst on the job training I've ever experienced. With that said, once they think you are 'ready' or at least good enough, you are going to get scored as if you've been trained. The scoring system is a interesting(?), and you are scored by the same team that 'trained' you.

Advice to Management

Put together a structured training program, with a schedule and stick to it. Bring in people with experience training. Keep your word. It's hard enough to keep people in a call center like this but when management keeps making promises they don't keep, it's hard to get employees to remain loyal.

"This is a great time to work for Symetra."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity, culture, work/life balance. I've worked hard and been promoted 3 times in 3 years. My salary and responsibilities have grown commesurate with my desire to contribute and make a difference. I have a great boss and a team that cares about being a part of something more than just working for a paycheck.

Cons

Negativity can be a con but this is more about those that have been impacted by necessary changes and tough decisions that need to be made in areas that weren't working, like IT. Company is moving in the right direction in terms of values and culture. Takes time to do things right and a few mistakes will happen along the way. Symetra is definitely learning from their mistakes and moving forward with optimism and a solid vision for where we want to be in 6 years.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the culture and the advancing the message that your people are your #1 asset.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was hired as a contractor in April, after two months of hard work, I was converted as a Business Analyst. My management and VP recognize my talent, which is very important to me in a company. I also see a lot of opportunities to learn and grow, my manger always encourage me to give out new ideas for improvement, and I have the freedom to execute them as well. I love working here.

Cons

no free coffee, but I'll live.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!