Symmetry Financial Group Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Symmetry Financial Group Owners Casey Watkins, Brandon Ellison, and Brian Pope
Casey Watkins, Brandon Ellison, and Brian Pope

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I've been a life insurance underwriter here in symmetry Financial group for the last 2 years and I can admit it that I don't regret working here" (in 20 reviews)

• "Work/life balance back once I learned the system" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "You have to be patient and just follow the system when it gets hard" (in 8 reviews)

• "I can truly say there are no CONS about working at Symmetry Financial Group" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Agent"

Current Employee - Agent in Crosby, TX
    Current Employee - Agent in Crosby, TX

I have been working at Symmetry Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to have your own company in 3 to 5 years
    Ability to expand and hire as many employees as you desire
    Lead Program is outstanding
    Compensation is outstanding

Cons

Recruiting and transitioning out of the field can be a little challenging at times

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Appreciate all that you do!!

"At home appointment setter"

I worked at Symmetry Financial Group part-time

Pros

At home! Yes I didn't have to leave my house which was pretty good.
    They care about your family time! I had a death in the family and no one to watch my daughter and it was no problem have me two days off to get everything's settled.
    Money wasn't too bad either

Cons

Oh gosh where do I start here!
    LEADS! Get some new leads for God sales. Talking about how many letters you send out then when I received leads to set appointment for they were basically mostly over a year sometimes 2 year old.
    Get Spanish speaking people! I'm sorry but every business should have someone to talk to Spanish speaking customer especially in Arizona. I would speak to about 4 a day and have no way of booking them when they coul dnt understand me but still had to list them as contacted. Brought both the old leads up and Spanish speaking thing up to management and they still have me crap for not making appointments. Not really given the right tools to be successful. Some one in the company showed up to people's houses and was rude. I heard it from multiple customers and it prevented people who had already been spoke to from wanting to give us another shot.
    There is no computer system! I had a customer ask me doesn't she already have mortgage insurance through us and when I asked my boss if it was possible to check they said no. So we can't even check whether we have helped these people in the past no records kept.
    They want you to use an app to talk to people you dont even really know! They will push and push for you to post your numbers on an app and talk to other workers to "help each other boost moral through the day" me being one who likes to focus on my work I was not exactly thrilled to be talking through my work day and the second I posted having a bad day number wise I had problems. Some guy asked for my number to talk and I have it to him cause he was an employee and he told me he was successful and if I didn't start making appointments my boss probably wouldn't keep me. Ironically, this is the same thing I kept hearing from my boss how much I was costing him and how the guy I'm making appointment for isn't making money either. So far from moral boosting and honestly unprofessional of an employer.
    Long script makes people uninterested. Boss will tell you they need you to read it verbatim but then when your not making appointment set you up to practice with apparently successful people who tell you they do not read the script verbatim so conflicting things all the time. They will just recycle old leads and call them over and over you probably will start receiving threatening voicemails and texts but I'm the words of my boss you just need to be a robot and keep dialing so basically not care about anything whether your giving someone the greatest service or answering all their questions doesn't matter as long as you keep being a robot and dialing. But if you don't make appointment they will chew you out and also if your appointment don't show up even though they don't want you to remind them it will be your fault.
    Overall people too much grief. The job was nothing like advertised you are basically a telemarketer harassing people of your are calling them over and over even after 2 year have gone by since they requested their info. I wish someone would have told me what being an appointment setter was like so for the next person there you go!

Advice to Management

Ha! Don't constantly talk to your employees about jow much they are costing you it's a downer. Get everyone together to decide how you want to do things so one person isn't saying to do one thing this way and another another way. Get a freaking computer system so I can answer customer questions about whether they've gotten insurance through us and for God sake get some new leads. No one wants to re shop for mortgage insurance after they just did it. I literally called someone I called a week before that told me no and they still put them in my like to call. There was one person I spoke to who was uplifting one person that made me feel like he cared and that I wasn't a burden on the company. After I spoke to him I felt confident I felt I was doing better but it was too late the company amd I were both unhappy by this point. If everyone was that uplifting and helpful rather than talking about how much they pay you and being a robot your employees might be happier. Get rid of the stupid app from the cursing and unnecessary conversation it's distracting your employees from doing their job and you've even had to go in there and say that. People are not robots I can't just forget people i think didn't get answers to their question for some nonsense reason or telling a Spanish person o her we just cant help you. Sorry I'm a people person not a robot and no it's not right. Get it togethee. Maybe take my advice ask around about who this ride employee was and maybe start doing some fixing of the damage cause it's affecting you.

3. "Insurance Agent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Symmetry Financial Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible a great place to start selling life insurance

Cons

Price of leads to start

Advice to Management

Work something for leads

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Symmetry Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working for Symmetry in their local office for the past 3 years and my experience has been awesome .They have a good working environment and the staff members are so cooperative ,helpful and friendly

Cons

Nothing to complain about, maybe the best job I've ever had !

Advice to Management

Continue hiring good people and maintain the same team work

Sep 12, 2018 – Chief Operations Officer

Great review, thank you for sharing!

"Pyramid Scheme"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent

I have been working at Symmetry Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to create your own schedule, you are your own boss

Cons

You have to buy all of your leads in order to find clients to sell to, which typically amounts to anywhere from $200-$300 per week just to get contact info from people. You're pretty much on your own in terms of having to go into strangers homes by yourself and sell them very expensive policies for not the greatest coverage.
    Clients can cancel their policies in the first 30 days, meaning whatever commission you got paid for the policy initially, goes back as a "debt" to the carrier. This is a huge problem because then when you go sell another policy, you don't get paid until that balance is paid off. VERY frustrating.
    They market the job as being "part time work for full time pay" but once you're in, you realize that it could take years of working 50+ hours/week before that's true.

6. "Total Impact"

Current Employee - Field Underwriter/Team Builder
    Current Employee - Field Underwriter/Team Builder

I have been working at Symmetry Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customer Dedication, Clear guidelines and expectations, Forward thinking, High expectations, Amazing Culture, Dedication to all levels of business, Transparency, Self-development focused, Challenging, Growth oriented, Real people focused on their people.

Cons

No cons about the company. It is not for the person who expects others to carry the load. Takes hard work and resilience.

Advice to Management

Keep going.

Sep 12, 2018 – Chief Operations Officer

Great review, you summed it so well! Hard work and resilience are the keys to success in every aspect of life, Symmetry is no different. Thank you for be a part of the Symmetry family!

7. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Symmetry Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unbelievable culture and have total freedom of when you'd like to work. Don't be fooled guys, this business (in general) is not easy. However Symmetry gives us the tools, ties, and ability to succeed. If you are willing to work hard and plug in and dedicate yourself.... your life will change forever!

Cons

I was going to say software and ways to build referrals... but they just invested over seven figures to get this new stuff rolled out by January!! So NO cons here.

Advice to Management

Keep building and reinvesting into the business. Excellent.

Sep 12, 2018 – Chief Operations Officer

You review does a great job of acknowledging both the challenges and opportunities at Symmetry. We will continue to invest in our systems as we are dedicated to supporting the continued growth and... More

"GREAT Culture, Top Carrier Options - Very Poor Compensation -- TOO Much For Top Managers At Agents’ Expense!"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Symmetry Financial Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at SFG part-time, primarily supporting agents/field underwriters, by assisting them in contacting multiple carriers regarding statuses of electronic apps and fewer written ones; ordering initial and replacement supplies; and fulfilling any other general agent support needs. I enjoyed this introduction to the highly lucrative and profitable insurance industry and rose quickly to a more trusted position with added responsibility; and gladly accepted an invitation from one of the office's agents to attend SFG's recent Annual Conference -- August 29th to 31st -- at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center at National Harbor MD, since it was nearby and I wouldn't incur any major travel expenses. Initially I was impressed with the venue, to say the least. I attended the Wednesday afternoon Corporate Overview that was very informative, lighthearted and, honestly, delivered the absolute right content for someone considering joining this commission, only, based opportunity -- presenting carrier solutions, consulting and taking important applications for a variety of insurance-based financial solutions, alongside broad individual and family protection solutions; and was equally as impressed. The presenters were engaging, focused, humorous, yet very professional and well prepared; and they outlined the graduated commission structure fairly smoothly, that starts off for everyone at 60% and can go as high as 110%, so for me, it answered that very important question. More of that presentation focused on the 110% 'goal' for all SFG agents and managers; and they clearly showed how it could be attained realistically, with a commitment to dedication to learn a new skill set, hard work and incorporation of all of the voluminous training -- audio mainly with some video -- that SFG provides in its training library. So for that Wednesday almost 1 1/2 hour session, I gladly give that husband and wife team 5 Stars for that important and initial introduction to SFG. The next 2 days though were a little less impressive, where I saw more clearly how the company is structured, the leadership -- owners and managers, the extremely high earners at the top, mostly, and the real challenges a new agent would encounter, likely struggling for a lengthy period especially with the compensation so low and the standard recommendation to purchase leads to buy production. By comparison with other notable IMO competitors, SFG agents or field underwriters basically generate the majority of total compensation, not as much for themselves to benefit, but more so for their coaches, mentors, trainers, etc. -- their up-lines -- who benefit by receiving the lion's share totals of sales force or team compensation from what was referred to as "spread" on their down-line agents or team members. The most positive message conveyed both days though, by comparison, was the emphasis SFG places on its recognized top corporate culture and how they, as I was already somewhat aware, focus as much or more on leadership and personal development -- as on insurance and annuity sales -- which was clearly conveyed and demonstrated on stage, by so many of their leaders, managers and owners speaking to the attendees; and many who have risen from being broke or broken, as they would say, to being very successful with SFG in relatively short periods of time -- 3 to 6 years for many -- which is exceptional given the company is relatively young at just 9 years in business.

Cons

Since I attended the conference to hear more about the compensation model, I honestly was very disappointed to learn it’s only 60% to start, that over time can grow to 110%, but according to a chart I was shown, that increase to the top compensation would realistically take 2 ½ to 3 years, minimum, with graduated 5% commission increases usually every 2 or 3 months, however even that wasn't guaranteed. I was really surprised to hear more of that explanation, that if during that commission graduation period, an agent didn't achieve the targeted volume and other qualification factors, they would lose credit for the month(s) completed and start back at square one, for another 2 or 3 months -- that doesn’t seem either equitable or even close to being fair to adequately compensate someone for their efforts. At least the month or months they qualified could be carried over, like for a 2 month qualification example -- qualify in month 1, but not month 2; and then qualify in month 3 to earn the commission level increase by qualifying in 2 of the 3 months. Additionally, in the Corporate Overview it was mentioned that at the first true level of management where the agent is granted full and irrevocable ownership of their agency -- to be a family legacy or to do with as they please -- it was expected that agent manager would still be in the field with their team producing. That appears for the most part to be the exception and not the norm; and it was clear there are many who have been granted agency ownership, stopped producing on a consistent and regular basis, focus more on recruiting and hiring new people to replace so many who appear to leave regularly, and basically earn a living off of those in their down-line. This appears to be even more prevalent at the highest levels where managers mostly manage, but not train; and have a lot of free time while earning handsomely on their down-line agents’ and lower level managers’ commissions “spread” and additionally with what was described as equity bonuses -- limited to some of those in the 110% commission category. All of that better explained why the commission starts so low and agents most often have lengthy periods before they start earning decent incomes and six-figures, having to buy leads, recommended weekly, that are the source of carrier policy contracts issued and resulting commissions. Additionally, there was a lot of talk about SFG's revenue growth the past 9 years and how in 2017 it exceeded $70MM, but upon further off-line discussions and gathering of real numbers, that revenue amount apparently represents application contracts submitted to carriers, that may or may not have been approved and issued, but there was no talk of actual real revenue attained. Finally, I know from the limited time I worked in a support position the insurance industry is in the Top 5 Wealth Industries in the country, so whatever SFG is actually earning it's definitely in the millions of dollars. However, it was very hard to see and realize that, where for all of the sessions, the only refreshments made available to those of us paying over $100 to attend -- Thursday and Friday from 8:00 AM to well beyond 6:30-7:00 PM with only short breaks -- were water from top loading coolers dispensed in disposable cone paper cups. The attendance was well over 3,000 people, so also there was no way for many who maybe hadn't had breakfast to get lunch in the Gaylord complex with its limited restaurant capacity on the lower floors in the building; and then return in time to participate in the regular human stampede to get a decent unreserved seat for the many sessions -- general and breakout ones. Finally, in order for people to be attentive, focused and refreshed, it's just common sense that at an event like that conference, there maybe should have been something nutritional and/or refreshing readily available, at all times, to help people get through the rest of the day while being immersed in so much positive and valuable information from all, extremely important to be retained, including invited guests and entertainers who spoke on stage; and that was an area where SFG clearly dropped the ball and could have used some of the extra money paid to those at the top and made available even something as minimal as a box lunch for those who weren't allowed to attend or weren't invited to the SFG scheduled lunch event/meeting with the owners -- sure there could have been something arranged for all for lunch in that huge facility, similar to the finale dinner Friday night where all attendees were present.

Advice to Management

SFG Management needs to take a close and hard look at their outdated compensation model for independent agents/contractors. After that conference, I did a thorough vetting -- far beyond basic due diligence -- of SFG's major IMO competition both nearby and close to metro NY/New England; and it's clear those IMOs are more focused on the agents, compared to SFG’s focus on Top Level Managers who clearly make their livings off of their down-lines since the majority of those earning the most are not even in the field helping protect families, which I understood to be key to SFG's mission. Maybe SFG can adapt and modify that commission model to a more competitive and fair one for 2020 -- their 10th Anniversary -- and beyond, into this extremely bright forecast and future period of exponential growth in the insurance industry. The existing one basically locks in an agent indefinitely at comparatively low compensation; and even below industry-level average compensation, unless they recruit hundreds of new people to get a couple of handfuls to stay and produce, so they, too, can realize a "spread" to earn above the average income of the typical insurance agent. Why not focus more on everyone producing, redistributing the commission wealth to appropriately compensate those doing the daily, weekly, monthly carrier policy contracts, while still enabling 110% high-level managers to get a larger market share and piece of the pie based on the size of their total down-line organization? That way, those who perform extremely well will be compensated accordingly, while those who leave the field to mostly rely on simply recruiting others to perform at high levels for the recruiter’s benefit, that may not be the way of the future for SFG if it wants to hire and retain talented agents. That change, too, will enable those leaders who previously relied solely on others for their continuing income, to quickly get the message that if they're leading a team, the team will and should expect them to, as I heard often during those 3 days, lead from the front! Finally regarding general conference coordination, logistics, planning and genuine consideration for and support of those who attend at their own expense -- travel, accommodations, food and beverages for all days, except the finale dinner and entertainment -- SFG may want to consider either having the Gaylord also provide, at a minimum that I’m sure attendees would be glad to pay for -- a box lunch, including sandwich or vegan option, energy or fruit snack and choice of beverage; or with the Gaylord's approval, arrange to have a contract caterer (there are plenty affordable, decent priced and excellent ones in metro Washington DC, even quality restaurant establishments nearby as well at National Harbor) sell attendees light meals, also vegan, sandwiches and drinks at stations conveniently located in the areas of the sessions, so people will have the opportunity to grab a quick bite to eat and then return to the sessions. SFG can't be that CHEAP, earning millions, and only providing cone paper cups and water -- at least I truly hope not for their stake so they can keep pace with the competition, especially continuing to be recognized as an industry leader and keep many of their better agents from leaving to work with other IMOs offering considerably better compensation with extremely fair commission level increase requirements. Based on all of the Cons and Advice to Management, I unfortunately have to honestly and objectively give an overall average of 2 Stars, since the few Pros didn't outweigh the stated company and conference deficiencies and general low end compensation, especially when compared to other IMOs representing all or most of the same top insurance carriers. SFG is still young and if you continue to be green, you'll grow; and, hopefully, in the not too distant future, to the level of your strongest competition currently, which I'll be joining soon!

9. "Impressed"

Current Employee - Life Insurance Underwriter in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Life Insurance Underwriter in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Symmetry Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been a life insurance underwriter here in symmetry Financial group for the last 2 years and I can admit it that I don't regret working here. There is a good working conditions and I'm proud to be here .

Cons

Its all good. There is nothing to complain about

Advice to Management

Continue being good and supportive to all your workers.

Sep 12, 2018 – Chief Operations Officer

Thank you for the great review! Core value number one is relationships matter, people come first. Our top priority will always be taking care of people!

"Awesome company, awesome culture"

Current Employee - Key Leader in Winchester, KY
    Current Employee - Key Leader in Winchester, KY

I have been working at Symmetry Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture
    Mentorship
    Freedom
    Ability to earn a great income

Cons

Freedom-Yes also in pros. Can easily go off track if you're not used to working for yourself

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Sep 12, 2018 – Chief Operations Officer

Awesome review, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. You make some great points about the benefits of joining Symmetry. You keep it up as well!