Symphony Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Symphony Engineer Reviews

Updated Dec 10, 2019

3.5
Symphony CEO David Gurle (no image)
David Gurle

"Great growth track"

I have been working at Symphony full-time for less than a year

Pros

Strong teams committed to each other and the company Great health benefit plan A sense of fun with many events Good understanding of what is expected of people

Cons

Multiple deadlines can get hectic Some teams need more help with things over the line than others Some locations may feel left out sometimes vs core locations

Advice to Management

Appreciate that you are keeping a strong focus on what we need to do for our customers. Always be looking for ways to boost employee motivation and be swift to act with those that may not be as accountable or engaged as they should be.

Symphony2018-06-25

"Lots of lies...clueless ceo"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Symphony full-time for more than a year

Pros

some great colleagues lunch is offered free

Cons

too many lies about direction of the company. CEO is living in Asia and keeps setting up calls late at night. and everyone is running around trying to answer his questions. no clear direction on product and roadmaps. new idea everyday.

Advice to Management

Change CEO and get focus back on the business. stop changing your minds so often. poor planning. everyone is burnt out... board is clueless about what is happening...

Symphony2019-09-11

"Disappointing experience"

I have been working at Symphony full-time for less than a year

Pros

Customers are already lined up and that's a good thing.

Cons

I am a recent hire. Discovered that stock options is pretty much a sham. I suggest stay away from this company. They can take away vested options at the blink of an eye and you would have worked very hard for them for years for nothing. I've never seen a company who is so unfair and uncaring of their employees who are putting their life on hold and in the get nothing in return.

Advice to Management

A word of advice: Please conduct your business with some integrity. Please don't disappoint hard working employees.

Symphony2019-02-10

"Some of the best people you will come across in the valley"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Symphony full-time for more than a year

Pros

-> ES and Systems Architects is led by some very talented, experienced people. -> Get to work with senior management, talented team and make an impact. -> New Technology adoption. -> Hands-off management. -> Good benefits, salary and perks.

Cons

-> Work life balance can be hard sometimes, but depends on how much work you signup for. -> Changing priorities often.

Advice to Management

-> Get TPM's / PM's to ensure the teams are on right track as per the managements vision. -> Get more structure with career path for employees on how they can grow within the company.

Symphony2018-05-01

"Excellent place to work, great company culture"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Symphony full-time for more than a year

Pros

Symphony is really a great place to work! The people are smart, friendly and engaged, and the compensation and benefits very good. As well as a good medical plan and 401k, Symphony provides catered lunches each day along with a host of other activities for staff like on-site massages, fitness bootcamps and other health and fitness benefits such as a monthly challenges or table-tennis tournaments.

Cons

As a company that is growing internationally, there are some problems scaling. Working across time-zones sometimes makes it difficult to find a work-life balance. However, management is aware of the challenges the company is facing and is working to resolve them through a number of means.

Advice to Management

We have everything we need to be very successful; please keep reenforcing the strong, clear vision for the product.

Symphony2018-03-30

"Former Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Symphony full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well stocked kitchen and excellent catering. They bring lunch in everyday and the food is consistently good. Most people there are pleasant, but it is very cliquey.

Cons

Palo Alto location: lack of parking and constant construction noise were a nuisance. Too much nepotism and "Good Ol' Boy Club" resourcing. Management are shameless "yes men" who allowed bad decisions to undermine the company's success.

Advice to Management

Hire people based on their abilities, not because they are your pals.

Symphony2017-10-12

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Symphony full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Offers competitive salaries and great benefits - Good work life balance - People are very flexible, easy to talk to, and willing to take feedback. - Great engineering talent - Friendly and down-to-earth atmosphere; everyone is very approachable - Things DO seem to be getting better. Upper management is very receptive to change and moving in a positive direction. - From an engineering perspective, the product is solving very unique problems and thus as an engineer this company offers great learning opportunities.

Cons

Symphony started strong with an engineering team consisting of a few very skilled people. As the company progressed they failed to treat their employees well and it later resulted in a huge turn over rate of their most key players. The two biggest failures of the company in regards to failing to treat their key players occurred on two levels: Product development and career opportunities. Product development failures: Upper management opted for the opinion of what the best features would be to draw in more customers rather than listen to engineerings pleas to make sound technical decisions. Technical debt continuously accumulated resulting in a very buggy application. The leadership style was very reactionary and would only deal with tech debt when dealing with it became an absolute must. Once it was no longer critical, they went back to feature farming until another production level bug caused massive outages for the customers. Career Opportunities failures: Promotions are very unlikely here; I have only seen a handful of promotions across engineering in my time at Symphony. The worst part is, they continuously give you higher level responsibilities but never back it up with a title increase. The company would rather hire managers from outside than promote within. This error put a sour taste in the mouth of many of the original engineers. Cross organization communication is very poor.

Advice to Management

1) Fire someone if they are not doing a good job 2) Promote someone if they are doing a good job 3) Stop hiring managers outside and instead empower your current employee base to step-up 4) Stop feature-farming and instead focus on creating a technically sound product 5) Hire many more competent engineers. The product demands are too high for the given resources engineering has right now.

Symphony2017-02-04

"Amazing People, Fast-Growing Company, Fun Work Environment"

I have been working at Symphony full-time for less than a year

Pros

Symphony is made up of people who are genuinely passionate about their work and seeing the company and product succeed. The environment is incredibly supportive and people are very smart, qualified, and know how to have a good time. There are lots of interesting challenges as an engineer, and the benefits are great. The work schedules / policies are flexible. I will be here for awhile. Would highly recommend.

Cons

The company is expanding quickly, so there are natural and expected shifts in objectives and expectations.

Advice to Management

The communication from the top down is very open. Keep it up!

Symphony2016-01-06

"Talk to this company !!"

Current Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Symphony full-time for less than a year

Pros

Leading financial services have Invested in Symphony and are also its first customers. The company has an ambitious vision with a unique approach to communication security. Working at a startup that also has customers lined up is a dream come true for me personally. I know they'll use the systems I build and I know that others will follow. I'd work for stock .... but actually the company does it right: equity, competitive salary, health, 401K, gym and no cap on vacation.

Cons

The free food is too tempting

Advice to Management

David is a visionary leader and he knows how to get out of the way so we can get our stuff built. Trust is a rare commodity nowadays and they always say it has to be earned ... but I love that these guys know who they're hiring and just trust us to get on and delivery. I'm not necessarily looking to be a lead ... but it would be a natural evolution for how we're growing the teams - I heard we'll be getting management training, so that's cool.

Symphony2015-02-25

"New startup with ambitious vision, huge opportunity for folks getting in now"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Symphony full-time for less than a year

Pros

The roadmap for delivery is pretty clear, and if successful in execution, the product will be incredibly successful. The problem space is challenging and requires new solutions and fresh outlooks on some familiar paradigms. The office space is great and full stocked with a kitchen and game room :) Coworkers are diverse and exciting people. Huge opportunity to build out the team!

Cons

The company is still finding its feet and organizing, so there's definitely some things that need to be figured out still as it grows. Lots left to deliver, so not so much room for work/life balance today.

Symphony2014-11-19