Symplicity Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Matthew Small

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work/life balance is also a big plus" (in 5 reviews)

• "Catered lunches, casual work environment" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Transitioning leadership so currently lots of change, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing" (in 2 reviews)

• "New management is obsessed with the bottom line, and as a result, the staff suffer" (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Company I've Ever Worked For!"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At Symplicity, it really feels like a family. From my first day, people have been really welcoming and eager to help. It's a relatively small company (200 or so employees) with many young employees and it still has a bit of a start-up feel so it's very more laid-back. If you are in the Arlington office, we tend to play music all day on the speakers, get free snacks, play ping pong, and do social activities on Fridays. The company is also very big on diversity as we've been expanding our business internationally and work with folks from all types of backgrounds - probably my favorite part about working here. There aren't that many layers of management and you get exposure to C-suite execs from day one. On my first day, the CEO proactively came over to my desk to introduce himself. You also get a lot more recognition for your work since everyone has a specific function in the team and we are very big about recognizing our achievements. The work/life balance is also a big plus!

Cons

Communication across team could be improved. There is often a discrepancy between the tech and sales side of the business, which can make sticking to deadlines and getting buy-in a bit challenging. Salary could also be more competitive for the DC area.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for teams to communicate better with each other. I realize their is a love/hate relationship with email and meetings, but often it's better to ensure that employees are included in communications in order to do their jobs better.

Symplicity Corporation Response

Apr 11, 2018 – CEO

I am so glad to hear you are enjoying your time at Symplicity and our office vibe! Diversity is integral to our success. It is important to us that we recognize our employees for their successes and... More

"Great people and a great place to learn"

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time

Pros

Great people make Symplicity an incredible place to work. This has always been the case at Symplicity, but I think it is true now more than ever. People who join Symplicity quickly become close friends with their teammates and get strong support from experienced mentors.

Many developers and designers join Symplicity because you learn so much more about good engineering practices at a product company than you do at an agency or as a website developer. The size of the company is also ideal- everyone makes an impact and has the opportunity to be recognized. The company sponsors visas and projects do not require security clearances.

Work/life balance and job security are great. For a company that often feels like a startup, this is not a place that will grind you down and burn you out. There's a strong respect for personal/family time.

Cons

Communication between teams could be improved.

3. "Simplicity Review !"

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time

Pros

Causal dress work environment!
    Enjoy my the team i work with.
    Like the flexible with work-life balance.

Cons

Communication across the team could be improved as well. Due to getting mixed coms on short-term goals.

Advice to Management

Would give advice on more career opportunities for growth in career.

"Growing Company with Great Culture"

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time

Pros

* We work together as team to accomplish our goals; remote and in-office. Adore working with everyone here, and their positiveness
    * Fun events in the office that our co-workers come up with
    * Great location in Clarendon with options to get your errands done and eat; 2 blocks away from Clarendon metro
    * Gym in building, Pete's coffee at the bottom of the building
    * Option to work remote if needed
    * International Expansion

Cons

It's been sad to see some people move on, but I think that's just a part of life. Nothing ever stays the same. No growth, no pain. Most come back and visit though.

"Casual and Fun Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The people are amazing. I've made most of my close friends while working here, and even after someone leaves, there's still a sense of family with them. It's not unusual to see ex-Sympers hanging out on a Friday night.

-I get to work on a variety of projects, which always keeps things interesting. It also allows for a continuous learning experience. I'm never bored and I truly love coming into work everyday.

-Although there have been some rough waters, as is always the case when a company goes through an acquisition, I feel the upper management is working on getting back to a sense of stability. The exec team is always available to talk, listen to feedback, and answer questions.

-Only a block from the metro in Clarendon, with lots of options for bars/restaurants. Office has a beautiful view of the National Mall and access to the rooftop.

-Casual atmosphere. Can't get much better than getting to wear t-shirts and jeans to work. People are always playing on the foosball and ping pong tables. Beer Friday starts about 4, where people who want to imbibe chip in a few bucks to buy beer/wine. They have also recently installed a kegerator.

-Recently the company has been increasing employee engagement by starting an employee ran social committee.

Cons

-Pay needs to be more competitive.

-Projects are often started without full understanding or proper scoping applied. This results in backtracking work and knee jerk decisions.

-As with most companies going through growth spurts, communication between departments could be better.

-The last couple years have seen a lot of attrition of some very strong employees.

Advice to Management

Keep working on employee morale and happiness.

"Fantastic company to build your career and thrive."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clarendon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clarendon, VA

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The people. I've never worked at a company with employees who are so exceptionally talented, collaborative and passionate about the work we do than my colleagues here at Symplicity. Many employees on the product and client services side are actual industry-experts who came from higher ed, as well as most of the new VP team coming from many years of experience in higher ed tech--this has made it quite easy to build credibility and reputation in our markets.

- Growing company. Because of the state of the company (solid financials and a strong growth strategy), there are opportunities to grow with the company and build your career over time if you put in the hard work and dedication.

- Market opportunity and outlook. It's rare for a company to have multiple market-leading solutions in one product suite.

- Solid work-life balance . Work hard, play hard.

- Meaningful work. While our flagship product remains the market leader in the career services space, our full product suite in higher education serves other core areas of student services like disability services and accommodations and student conduct management.

- New HQ. The company HQ moved from Rosslyn to the heart of Clarendon last year. The new HQ is right off Clarendon metro and has amazing views of D.C., a rooftop, 24-7 gym and other perks!

Cons

- Many of the employees prior to acquisition were remote staff in client services--and while this can definitely be an advantage for providing in-region support for our thousands of clients all over the world, this makes it tough to engage the many employees who are remote as you would those at HQ. However, new leadership has been intentional about increasing opportunities to keep remote employees engaged--like our regular all-hands meetings and catered lunch Team Days for those in the DMV.

Advice to Management

- Keep listening! The regular communication and positive changes are making a difference!

"Taking off!"

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Recent strategic investments in the business have made it so much easier to get things done and move quickly
    -New leadership knows the higher ed market really well
    -Solid work/life balance
    -Fun and casual office environment

Cons

-Less open to remote work these days, but it is nice to have people in the office. All the energy is great and better for collaborating. Especially on team day when we get catered lunches!

Advice to Management

-Continue to be intentional about integrating new sympers with the older times. We must continue to embrace one another.

"Growing Business"

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time

Pros

-International expansion and exposure
    -Opportunity to impact the business and make a difference
    -Access to top-line management and learning opportunities

Cons

-It's not a leave-at-5pm kind of company
    -Growing pains typical of rapid expansion

Advice to Management

Delegate more, the team is ready and willing to help!

"Overall Overview"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Every product is a leader in it’s space.
    -Your work here makes a difference. We are helping recent college graduates find jobs.
    -Catered lunches, casual work environment

Cons

-Lots of change recently with new leadership, but our leadership team has a great track record and is taking us to new levels of success that we didn’t even know were possible
    -Low structure means the environment is not for everyone

Advice to Management

-Keep up the transparency and communication- it means a lot to us!
    -Would love more Symplicity gear to sport team spirit
    -Our fun events make a difference- don’t underestimate how important they are!

"Good place to build your career"

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time

Pros

Smart, talented, and motivated people. Very relatable and worthwhile company mission in helping university students prepare for their careers and secure jobs.

Cons

Nothing out of the ordinary for a company of this age.