Syn-Tech Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Syn-Tech Systems President Douglas R. Dunlap
Douglas R. Dunlap

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work"

Pros

Excellent benefits package
    Upper Management actively engaged in day to day operation, and attentive to employee needs
    Strong commitment to new and necessary technological advances
    Flexible work schedule, and no problems taking needed time off
    Areas for advancement with hard work and continued education

Cons

Some employees resent those that are promoted. Negative attitudes are often overlooked as long as the employees work is sufficient.

Advice to Management

Great place to work, a few negative employees do become taxing over time.

"Good for many but needs improvement to be good for all"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Syn-Tech Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Above average salary and excellent benefits for Tallahassee.
    * Flexible time to accommodate personal and family responsibilities.
    * Below average stress environment.
    * Many employees with long tenure bring a high degree of stability and professionalism.
    * Executive leadership team is solid. Doug Dunlap is an excellent leader and all-around nice guy. New executive leadership in engineering has put product development back on track.
    * Most managers are excellent and balance the interests of the company and their employees.
    * HR sponsors several events per year in and out of the office to improve employee morale.

Cons

* Former executive leadership in engineering had a philosophy of "cheaper is better" when it came to hiring. Unfortunately this is the gift that keeps on giving in terms of product quality.
    * Very relaxed atmosphere leads to lack of urgency to get things done in many cases. Parking lot is pretty empty by 5:15p. Some employees always seem to be surfing when you go to their desk.
    * Cronyism in some teams encouraged by their managers.
    * Too many meetings. Usually called by employees who never seem to do any actual work.
    * Above average turnover during the past 5 years for various reasons.
    * Owner is getting older and is grooming his children to take over. Lots of anxiety in terms of how they will run the company or even possibly sell.
    * Facility is sort of run down. Temperature never seems to get below 78 degrees in some areas.
    * Facility is in high crime area. Several employee vehicles have been burglarized during work hours in recent years.
    * IT department works hard but is understaffed leading to inefficiencies especially in engineering.
    * Some employees promoted simply to get them out of the trenches and prevent them from further damaging the product (see 12/15/2016 review).

Advice to Management

* Need to crack down on the cronyism where it exists. Don't be afraid to terminate problem employees. Unethical behavior should not be ignored or rewarded.

"Company culture changing for the worse"

Pros

Great benefits, challenging work and mostly pleasant co-workers

Cons

Reprimanded and scrutinized for taking time off. Management is severely out of touch with requirements for job. Not much training provided, little room for growth. Annual raises and bonuses have diminished over recent years with little communication about why.

Advice to Management

More cross training and allow employees to use the benefits given without fear of retaliation. Communicate more effectively with employees and have transparency.

4. "A Great Job!"

I have been working at Syn-Tech Systems full-time

Pros

There is plenty of work to do and different technology for me to work on.

The owner and management are great to work for. They are personable, respectful, provide clear directives, strive for transparency, and understanding with personal obligations.

My salary is good for Tallahassee. I appreciate the recognition of my talent and experience.

Bonuses and raises are generous. The contribution that Syn-Tech provides to the retirement plan is further evidence that they like to invest in the employees.

A great work environment is important to me and Syn-Tech provides it. My coworkers seem to be as happy as I am, so we have a great time working together. A lot of laughs and helpfulness when needed.

It’s a relaxed environment where people are not afraid to joke, share stories, and even put up cartoon or joke posters. Management recognizes that we are still working hard when we are having a good time.

They have employee wellness programs, employee moral is a priority, and the annual Christmas party is great!

I really enjoy working here and look forward to many more years at Syn-Tech. Hopefully to retirement!

Cons

I do not like the location or the building. The location is on the not-so-good part of town. The building is dated and the alterations for expansion give a mash-up feel.

5. "Best company I've ever worked for. You won't find another business in Tallahassee like Syn-tech."

I have been working at Syn-Tech Systems full-time

Pros

-Upper level management is very humble. There's a sense of equality and mutual respect between all employee levels.
    -The pay and bonus/raises is better than most places in Tallahassee.
    -Employees here are quick to offer help and encouragement to each other.
    -The work atmosphere is very laid back. Management does a good job of allowing employees the freedom to approach their work in a way that works for them, as long as they're being productive.
    -Syn-tech is a very financially stable company with a bright future.
    -Many companies claim that they care a lot about their employees. Syn-tech proves that they do.

Cons

-The building where we work could use a few more windows.
    -Internal communication and documentation storage could be improved.

6. "An enduring brand starts at the core and advances with a great work culture.."

Current Employee - Vice President of Sales and Marketing in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Vice President of Sales and Marketing in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Syn-Tech Systems full-time

Pros

Technology driven company committed to leading their industry with both innovation and customer service. Never satisfied with the status-quo. Whether it's development of products, or process improvement, the broad exceptional talent at Syntech Systems come together with team spirit and collaboration to resolve the issue. The environment is electric and provides the ultimate platform for great results!

Cons

As solution providers Syntech is often saturated with new product opportunities. .

7. "A company with a big heart!"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Syn-Tech Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

After working for a corporation for 27 years, I made the move to join Syntech Systems 8 years ago. The differences between the two companies that have impressed me the most throughout the years is how much the owners of Syntech have given back to the employees in benefits and their continued investment back into the company and products.

Cons

The company has grown a great deal in the years I have worked here and I would like to see more continuing education for all employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to be customer driven and continue to invest back into the company and employees!

8. "Syn-Tech really cares about their employees, provides great benefits and has a stable customer base."

I have been working at Syn-Tech Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits (medical, dental, education reimbursement, etc.)
    Annual bonuses
    Huge demand in their industry
    Management and executives will listen to concerns
    Excellent work-life balance

Cons

Salary below industry standards
    Slow development cycles and outdated technology
    Limited growth opportunities
    Dated facilities

Advice to Management

Keep up the personal connection with the employees.
    Consider increasing pay to match industry standards and improving the office building.

9. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Syn-Tech Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are awesome - very family like atmosphere. The owner Doug Dunlap treats everyone with respect and is very generous. We receive a yearly bonus and raise. The better the company does - the better the raise! The company is growing and hiring new positions!

Cons

I wish I had and more vacation time.

"Great company, but some drawbacks."

Pros

Great benefits, good salary, great coworkers. The company is starting to look more forward toward more current technology.

Cons

At least one manager is a severe micromanager. Same manager is inflexible and can come off harsh and unfeeling.

Advice to Management

Make sure internal technologies are solid before unleashing them on employees. Let the employees be more independent in their jobs. Shouldn't feel like a burden is lifted when the boss is gone.