Synagro Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Synagro President and CEO Steve Cole
Steve Cole

Pros
  • There are no pros at this company - none (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Positive Transformation"

Pros

Transformation - a process of profound and radical change that orients an organization in a new direction and takes it to an entirely different level of effectiveness. This describes what is going on at Synagro. It is a thrilling time to be part of something great!

Cons

As we all know, change can be hard and it is challenging some days. However, the results will be worth it.

Advice to Management

Focus on communication, leadership, and helping employees at all levels of the organization understand where we are headed and how we are going to get there. Information/communication will provide the clarity that is needed.

Oct 17, 2016 – Director of HR Operations

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Synagro is going through change and it can be challenging but we are excited about what our future will be once the transformation is complete ... More

2. "Disconnected, Getting Better!!"

Current Employee - Peon in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Peon in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Synagro full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the disconnect has been resolved and things are moving in the right direction. Pay raises 2 years in a row! Maybe we are turning the corner to success!

Cons

Still a few roadblocks out there making it difficult to do our jobs.

Advice to Management

People! We are a service industry! Without good people, good employees, dedicated individuals we will fail! Make employees one of our company values and we will be successful.

"Person"

Pros

General nice people and company

Cons

Values stated are good and needed. President needs to follow them, very politiical

"Horrible Place"

Pros

There are no pros at this company - none!

Cons

Synagro is the worst place I have ever worked! When you come on board they make you feel like the organization cares about you and that they really believe in their Permission to Play Values. However, you quickly learn that the company does not live by them and that they are merely there to make them look good and attract new employees. The turn over rate is the worst I have ever seen. If you have a concern don't bring it to HR. They will make you feel that you are the one with an issue and that you better watch your back. Horrible place to work!

Advice to Management

Show respect for others!

"Good Intentions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Marsh, MD

I have been working at Synagro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's obvious that the company wants to change its internal image and perception and are working towards making their employees happy. From town hall meetings to surveys the intent to be transparent is evident.

Cons

Transitions are understandable and can be difficult for employees. The way these "transitions" are happening is not a good feeling for new or old employees. These firings are blindsiding employees and coworkers. Firing someone and having a new person in their position the next day is sneaky and increases the lack of trust employees have for upper management.
    It also creates an environment where employees aren't taking the time to acquaint themselves with new hires because turnover frequency creates a "why bother" attitude. "Why bother getting to know Mr. Green, if he's only going to last a few months?" Companies aren't successful by simply turning cogs, it takes a friendly work environment to keep employees happy and engaged, especially in a non-glamorous industry!

Advice to Management

Have a transition plan where you're getting rid of employees that are detrimental to the company at one time. JUST PULL THE BAND AID! Make getting fired more difficult by making employees aware of their shortcomings and giving them the opportunity to improve. Have management participate in retention training. Study the practices of other companies such as Zappos or Google. Their non-traditional methods are working! Set a company goal to be listed as a Baltimore Best Place to Work. Add department retention to executives reviews.

Nov 4, 2016 – Director of HR Operations

Thank you for your feedback. Synagro is dedicated to becoming a top workplace and are taking steps towards doing so. If you have any suggestions we would love to hear them. When looking at employee ... More

"Wow....More Incompetence in so called LEADERSHIP!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Synagro full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

NOTHING....they've even taken away our paper cup and plastic utensils!

Cons

For the second time within a month we've had a meeting with Leadership who could not answer questions about a policy from there department. Synagro has a new PTO policy which takes away your accrued sick time which you can only use in 2017 if you go out on STD. So basically unless you get deathly ill or need surgery your screwed.....WOW....thanks! But to add insult to injury when asked about roll over from one year to the next the response was "a decision had not been made but they will get back with us". You'd think this would be confirmed before presenting a new policy to your population. Just a example of our Leadership and there lack of knowledge

Advice to Management

Please....hire more competent leadership....we are begging you!

Nov 18, 2016 – Director of HR Operations

We are an environmental services company and should practice what we all do for our customers, consistent with our vision to become “a cleaner greener world.” Regarding your complaint about the new ... More

8. "Challenging and exciting to watch this company transform."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Marsh, MD

I have been working at Synagro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are friendly. Never a dull moment. The atmosphere is casual and the location in Baltimoe Co. is convenient. Managemaent is willing to hear new ideas for growth and improvement.

Cons

Not the greatest of health plans, it's expensive. Not too many negatives to comment on, we know there is change coming.

Advice to Management

Keep your eye on the little guy.

Oct 17, 2016 – Director of HR Operations

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoy working with your co-workers and like the office atmosphere. Thank you for the advice to management. We are working on our ... More

"Don't waste your time!"

Pros

The commute to and from work was the best thing.

Cons

The turn over rate is unbelievable. The people in HR are rude and very unfriendly starting from the top to the bottom.

Advice to Management

Instead of always talking about core values and morals, actually practice those things.

"Plant Manager"

Former Employee - Plant Manager in Woonsocket, RI
    Former Employee - Plant Manager in Woonsocket, RI

I worked at Synagro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great plant people with good work ethic. Huge amount of low hanging fruit as opportunity for positive change. Great potential to expand market just don't continue to low ball yourself.

Cons

Zero upper management support or communications. They have no idea what it takes financially or technically to improve operations. The sad thing is they only look to save there own job and don't understand what subordinates go through or desire to make the company better. Listen to real engineers not yes man non contributors.

Advice to Management

Look for a new job if you can't ethically be of service to the rest of the organization Treat others as you would like to be treated.

"run - run like hell"

I worked at Synagro full-time

Pros

good hourly people to work with, started out with good benefits too

Cons

CEO changes (3) took away all the good, became a money grubbing, bottom of the line company

Advice to Management

can't fit a square peg in a round hole

Oct 13, 2016 – Director of HR Operations

Thank you for sharing your feedback.