Synapse Product Development Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Synapse Product Development President Redwood Stephens
Redwood Stephens

Pros
  • Synapse is full of wonderful people, and can be a great place to work if you consider the location, work-life balance, and the company community (in 5 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn something new everyday (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle/senior management is not particularly inspiring (in 2 reviews)

• There isn't a clear path for career growth (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The clearly stated goal is 'best job ever'"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Synapse Product Development (More than a year)

Pros

This is -the- best job I've ever had, hands down.
    - My colleagues are smarter and more experienced than me and I am always absorbing as much as possible, yet no one ever acts superior or smug. It is a super supportive group that builds each other up.
    - Management is responsive to issues raised, actually listening to and acting on what I have to say.
    - Engineers have a voice in what projects they work on.
    - The variety of projects is wide, leaving great options for what sort of designs to dive into.
    - It's in SF, near CalTrain, AT&T park, walkable to transit, etc.
    - We do fun stuff together as an organized office event at least once a month.
    - I enjoy coming to work.
    - My contributions are valued, and I get feedback.
    - I feel fairly compensated.
    - We work with Fortune 100 companies and startups, making things that are sure bets to come to market as well as pie in the sky hopefuls.

Cons

- No dogs allowed in office.
    - For some engineers, the amount of client interaction might be difficult.

Advice to Management

Try to minimize the changes surrounding the acquisition by Cambridge Consultants!

2. "Love working here - Best place to work!"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Synapse is filled with the smartest and most humble people I know. The work is interesting, dynamic and fast paced. It's a perfect environment for product geeks and those who want a lot of variety in their work.

Cons

Compensation could be better. Organization is quite flat.

3. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very nice people, management that listens and acts. Cool tech, reaching for more, cautiously.

Cons

Some clients cause less than ideal projects

Advice to Management

Increase funding and support for technical growth.

5. "Learn it all!"

Current Intern - Electrical Engineering Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Intern - Electrical Engineering Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Synapse Product Development as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Synapse has a very open culture with a truly flat-feeling structure. Interns are treated just the same as any employee and get to do very exciting work. Also, since Synapse develops products from start to finish, there are many opportunities to learn--from design to manufacturing, failure analysis to RF...! Everyone is happy to help you find a solution to your problem, wanting you to succeed.

Cons

The work flow varies drastically depending on the stage of your particular project. Other than that, Synapse is great.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! I love the clarity and the openness to the rest of the employees. It has been a great experience so far.

"Great place to work"

Pros

Always changing job function, it never gets old

Cons

Consulting has its ups and downs and they've had a hard time figuring out a good company size where they have enough to staff the up times, but don't have to think about layoffs during the down times.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Synapse Product Development (More than 3 years)

Pros

Constant supply of new and unique projects. One month you may be designing small electronics and the next you may be designing much larger mechanisms.

Cons

It can be challenging to work with new customers on a regular basis, but it also keeps things new and interesting.

"Great Place to Work and Learn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Synapse Product Development (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people and the family-like community at Synapse keep me coming back day after day. We attract quite a range of interesting clients and projects, and if I don't learn something here on any given day it's my own fault. People are always willing to share their knowledge and expertise, whether conversationally or in the form of documented design guides and best practices to help in future projects. Leadership is committed to hearing the good, bad, and ugly feedback about how things are going, and mostly address those elements head-on.

Cons

- The culture needs a shift so that people provide one another with constructive feedback in real-time. It's a very conflict-averse culture, to its own detriment at times, particularly where people have to perform well in front of clients and partners.
    - It's great to have a stable sales pipeline and business coming in, so I can't knock that. However, the business development strategy is unclear when it comes to attracting and securing a diversity of projects - industries, capabilities, etc. This is a large team of generalists, with specialists in particular areas of common need. Generalists tend to like to see variety, so this lack of business development strategy is generating a feedback loop into employee satisfaction.

Advice to Management

- Give your people the tools they need to provide one another with real-time feedback, and help shepherd that cultural transition - it will take some time, but it needs a boost.
    - Develop, present, and execute a cohesive business development strategy that shows you're looking for the kind of work your people are interested in, and not the same kinds of projects over and over again.
    - Find a way to make your administrative folks a real part of the family. They are sometimes second-class citizens within the organization, yet they keep the business running in a very tangible and important way. All those who have a part in Synapse's success should be valued members of the family.

"Great learning opportunity"

Pros

- Full time engineers treat able interns like engineers, and really strive to include them in on all the details.
    - Upbeat attitude throughout the office makes for a great, productive workplace.

Cons

- Upper management at the time was going through rough changes.
    - Interns don't get hired after they successfully complete their internship, unlike other companies.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to get back to the root of the engineering house you once were.

10. "Best job you'll ever have!"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Synapse Product Development as an intern

Pros

My first internship was at Synapse Product Development. In the three months I spent there, I learned many invaluable skills that have made me more confident in starting my career as an engineer. The company culture is thriving, and the projects are always challenging and interesting.

Cons

There were times where I felt like there was not much for me to do as an intern. During these times, work expectations were not always clearly expressed.

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing! Management has truly built something special at Synapse. Synapsters are always excited to be at work, and this is reflected in the company morale.

"Best Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Community of smart, competent, and fun people
    Variety of challenging and interesting projects
    Opportunity to learn something new everyday
    Now acquired by Cambridge Consulting which opens the opportunities for even more projects and collaboration with a larger community

Cons

Sometimes the project schedules are tight and require additional hours of hectic work to catch up

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!