Syniverse Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Dean Douglas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work/life balance including incredible medical and employee benefits" (in 34 reviews)

• "Great benefits and flexibility to work from home" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sweat shop environment- no work life balance" (in 40 reviews)

• "Fully agree with negative comments: no work life balance at all, very high stress, and poor management in this company" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Only Getting Better"

Pros

Syniverse is a great place to work. Although I have been here for a short amount of time, I was able to see the old Syniverse and the new. I am very excited about where Syniverse is going and we have a great team leading the way.

Cons

Nothing at the moment.

2. "Layoffs again!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Syniverse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people to work with! Great colleagues.

Cons

This company is not going to make it. A bloodbath of a layoff occurring 15% of staff gone.

Advice to Management

Time to sell this company if you can find anyone willing to buy a dead company or declare bankruptcy like Sears just did.

3. "System Engineer Operation"

I have been working at Syniverse full-time

Pros

Good, fine, awsome, free, and easy

Cons

low pay, bad management, high turover

"If you are so miserable at Syniverse, just leave!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Syniverse full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I am a current employee, not in HR and not in management and it is pathetic to hear all the negative comments from a few of you who are probably just not very happy in life in general and come to work and want to blame it on the company. One very proven advise: if you are so miserable about the job, do something about it!! Either improve it or leave but don't try to propagate your negativity into others. Serve others, get busy with a hobby, love people... When you do that, life in general is better. Try it.

Cons

There are negative people at all companies and misery loves company. There is therapy (EAP) available for those in such a state of mind (ironically offered by the company, because they care).

Advice to Management

Keep on trying to rebuild the culture that a few people have tried to destroy and continue to believe there are some here for the long run and not to bash the company. We are here to contribute and make it better. So clean up the things that are not working and let's focus on a bright future.

"Sinking ship"

Former Employee - Software Applications Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Software Applications Engineer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Syniverse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It’s close by to restaurants and retailers.

Cons

Constant lay offs throughout the year, even if you are doing an excellent job, they only look for outsourcing jobs to India and Costa Rica. They don’t allow to work remotely now. They play favorites all the time. Parking is not good, traffic is horrible.
    No perks at all. You feel like you are just a number to them. They always prefer to keep foreign employees in India and Costa Rica over Americans here.

"Changing Course for the Future"

I have been working at Syniverse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Syniverse is aggressively moving in a new direction, while aiming to retain current business. Wants to be thought of as not just a mobile company, but a technology company first and foremost. The company is in growth mode and the new executives brought in seem to all be focused on the same goal: growth. It's exciting to be part of. There are a lot of opportunities to grow and add to your existing skill sets. There is an active employee association that puts on events and trys to engage employees as much as possible. The annual bonus program is good, and, they are pretty transparent about it. Company aspires to be agile and progressive and forward-thinking. I expect the company to grow both in terms of revenue and employee headcount over the next 6 months.

Cons

The elimination of the remote policy was a shock, especially for those who do not work nearby to an office. Those who can't make it work will leave. I haven't heard about/seen any recent departures that I would attribute to it. Expectations are high, so there is a heightened sense of pressure to meet and exceed goals. Some of the longer-standing employees may feel some whiplash after learning the company's new direction, because it differs significantly from the one it was on for the past 20+ years.

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent with employees as things change in the company. Keep doing the town halls. As the company grows and needs to hire more technical people, remember to keep an eye on employee satisfaction.

"Wish I could rate 0 stars"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Syniverse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The position I'm currently in is laid back so there isn't much stress. Relaxed dress code

Cons

Work from home privileges have been taken away from the ENTIRE COMPANY! The reason was BS, supposedly they spent upgrades to the building that no one cared about or wanted and now they want everyone in the office to use them and have 'ad hoc conversations'. Management and CEO only gives recognition to sales side of the house. They don't care about the infrastructure team at all. Promotions are few, awards are even less. Recognition is a carrot, and you should be grateful for a thank you. Be leary of work from home positives they are old. The company has gone down hill since Dean Douglass has taken over, everything has been more strict without giving the employees a bone. Of course there's always the 'state of the business' meetings that recognize the 3 letter guys CFO, CIO, etc. But even the VP's only recognize people in their tier.

Lies are constantly told here, with the allure that promotions are around the corner, even if you meet objectives. You will always need more 'visibility' or its constantly 'out of budget'.

Benefits are very expensive

People are constantly abused as resources even on PTO. No respect for personal life. There are people who get relied on too much!

Advice to Management

Recognize employees other then thank you's. We aren't here to be thanked, people value the money! That's why we are employed, Keep your thanks, show your thanks with monitization and more spark awards. Stop lying to your employees and giving them things that they didn't ask for or spending huge budgets on things that arent needed like floor remodeling or new $2,000 chairs. Your constantly laying off people but spending their salaries on projects that aren't wanted or needed. Show your employees appreciation for the value they provide and stop only idolizing management.

8. "Digital Transformation"

I have been working at Syniverse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Modern upgraded office and meeting spaces
    New equipment; laptop, monitors and mobile
    Professional colleagues
    Transparency
    Learning opportunities aplenty from management-executive

Cons

Business runs extremely lean for company this size
    Telecommuting

Advice to Management

You're on the right track.

"HR tried to convince managers to write good reviews in Glassdoor"

Former Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Syniverse full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people were hard working and dedicated.

Cons

It was never enough for upper management.

Advice to Management

Instead of trying make employees write good reviews of the company in Glassdoor, make the company better. Because of the actions of the HR representatives I find it hard to believe any positive reviews, especially since I keep in touch with excolleagues still at Syniverse.

"So far so good, overall I’m impressed"

I have been working at Syniverse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary
    Benefits
    Work/Personal Life Balance
    Understanding of Personal situations
    Recognition of good work
    Collaborative Work Environment
    Great leadership

Cons

Lack of Communication between departments
    Lacks Consistency
    Not knowing if you’d have a job in a year (really an issue at most places)

Advice to Management

I’d suggest to make your employees feel more job security overall and to have internal departments communicate clearly before beginning new projects so tasks are not vague and can be completed in a timely manner.