Syntel Reviews | Glassdoor

Prashant Ranade

"Don't Do It!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Syntel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience for beginners and decent pay.

Cons

Long hours and grunt work projects.

Advice to Management

Keep your American employees in the loop.

"Bad- Decision to join"

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Syntel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I dont see any pros in this company

Cons

No proper appraisal process , every manager lies and try to complete his part.
    Dont expect anything from management.
    No long term plans of the company
    I Suggest not to join this company

"Bad company to work with"

Current Employee - BSA in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - BSA in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Syntel (More than a year)

Pros

There is nothing good about this company. Don't ever join them.

Cons

Syntel does not pay attention to the issues raised by the employees.
    If you are on bench, your chances of getting a project depends on how good your relations are with Senior people in the company.
    People who are good at buttering people(managers & above) do excel in this company.
    HR managers are rude, unprofessional (you get to see this side after once you are on-boarded)
    They don't pay final settlement unless several reminders are sent to them.
    Their reimbursement policy is horrible, it requires 7-8 approvals and God forbid, if any approver rejects due to his lack of knowledge, you need to re-do the entire process again.

Advice to Management

Hire educated, civilized, polite and professionals at all level especially senior management and HR, PDAC

"Scam for newbies in the industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Syntel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent for not having previous experience

Cons

-Poor Communication
    -Poor Management
    -You will be left with little to no information on anything
    -Put onto projects that don't match your skills or desires and left with little to no guidance yet blamed for not being able to complete anything because you don't know.
    -Find a beginning career somewhere else where they will actually work with you.

Advice to Management

Actually learn about management. Not one person I've met in a leadership style position is truly fit for the job. You desperately need liasons for the bench and when people first get into projects at the client so not only does a busy lead or manager not get bothered, but there can be a dedicated person with all the knowledge needed for smooth transitions.

6. "Poor"

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Devops Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Syntel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Visa creation process is Good

Cons

company policies are Bad. No Work Life Balance

Advice to Management

Management themselves should be reshuffled

"Bad Management"

Current Employee - Project Lead in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Syntel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Syntel India ...good would not recommend Syntel US

Cons

I have been working with this company since last 5.6 yrs ,Initially working from offshore (india),As soon as I was deputed onsite things started messing up ,in every 2-3 months my pay was revised and than I have to fight with finance team,HR and than again its revised.

Seems there is no sync between finance,HR and Onsite Deputation team,

They just depute employees for client billability without even understanding the core skills of resource,despite of being a Cloud computing/windows guy ,I have been working as BSA(business system analyst) for current role,

for one of their client I have told to learn primavera than after 3 weeks I have been told to learn oracle DB and than after 2 weeks JAVA and after 2 weeks Citrix and list goes on and than after few months they expect me to be at Advance level in all technologies.

Advice to Management

Identify resource core skills

"DO NOT JOIN!!!"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Syntel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The only pro is that you can get to onsite real fast. This is a con for resources under 3 yrs exp.

Cons

The list is never ending. Would have given -5 stars if available.

1. No Benefits for resources
    2. No one cares what the resource has in his plate.
    3. Politics start at the lead level itself and they set a very bad example to all
    4. Pathetic medical benefits
    5. You are a slave to the client as Syntel is so.
    6. Very bad Management team. The worse is at the top and it goes till the CEO who does not even know how to answer a straight forward question in his town-halls.
    7. No Job security.
    8. Work life balance is a joke. DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

Advice to Management

Nothing can change them and they are arrogant enough to not listen.

9. "Not good for SAP technology"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Syntel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is good if you are directly hired in USA. If customer have budget you can complete 3 to 5 years in 1 project.

Cons

No good opportunity for SAP BO technology. Business intelligence presence is very low. There are needs in various customer areas but manager are not that good to find that opportunities to improve business.

Advice to Management

Improve process. Please check your customer job site and speak to them to grab more business

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Syntel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good opportunity. Provider good groath diversified projects

Cons

Salary in compare to industry I less for those who are from long time

Advice to Management

Initiate more employee welfare schemes like parents medical insurance

"Syntel is a complete joke"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mason, OH

I have been working at Syntel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get paid even though you don't do anything. Other than that there are no other pros.

Cons

The company:
    A joke. Management has no idea what is happening. They never give anyone any work to do and then get angry at the staff for not being busy enough. The entire HR team is a mess, ignoring requests, losing documents, and takes 3 months to reimburse travel expenses. Pay is below average. If you are not Indian, expect to be treated as a second class citizen; you will be ignored, dismissed, and talked down to on a regular basis.

Training:
    Spent 3 months training, but it could have been 3 weeks if we didn't take several 2 hour breaks each day and didn't spend entire days with no trainer. About as effective as reading a book on the subject.

The job:
    An absolute joke. For the past 6 months, we've been told we'll have "a lot of projects next month". We have only worked on 1 project and never finished it.
    We are given support issues to fix, but have never managed to get a response about any of our solutions and/or questions. After a few weeks, the same support issues are assigned to different people on the team. We've been doing the same support tickets for 6 months now.
    Our boss shows up at 11 and leaves at 2 or 3 every day, he regularly leaves work for hours at a time to go test drive cars, go home, etc. Even though he's never at work, he will scold anyone else if they are a little late, take an extra 15 minutes at lunch, or even if they are away from their desk for too long.
    We're never given anything to do but are regularly warned that we're not keeping ourselves busy enough. We've begged to get new projects and work for months are only told "we'll get back to you".
    I'm almost certain our project/department is just a scam to drain money from Anthem. Anthem is paying crazy amounts of money to have our team on site, probably because they thought we'd be doing something. If they knew how much of a joke our team is and how little we do, they wouldn't just cancel all contacts with syntel, they'd probably also sue them for fraud. Syntel is taking millions of dollars from their client and delivering nothing in return.

Advice to Management

Put your employees to work. Have some trust in your employees. Reward your employees for hard work. Put your US employees to work, don't just hire them to fill a contract with Anthem and then send all the work to cheap labor in India. Treat your non-Indian employees with the same respect as your Indian employees. Fix your internal systems; they are a mess and it looks horrible when an IT company can't even set up a halfway decent website. Fire your HR staff, they can't handle their jobs and need to be replaced by decent workers.

Showing 111 of 1,705 reviews