Synygy Reviews | Glassdoor

Synygy Reviews

Updated 12 Sep 2019

Synygy CEO Scott Cawood (no image)
Scott Cawood
Pros
Cons
  • "Growth opportunities are limited at a certain point in your career(in 7 reviews)

• "You may also be expected to work these long hours if you want to be promoted - though working(in 7 reviews)

1. "Learned a lot outside of title"

I worked at Synygy full-time

Pros

Great support, guidance, and encouragement

Cons

Small company job was temporary

Advice to Management

Keep growing

Synygy2018-11-01
  2. "Synygy"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Synygy full-time

Pros

Co-workers were smart and hard workers.

Cons

Management would say one thing, and do another

Synygy2019-09-12
  3. "Good place to gain exposure to IT"

Former Employee - Network Engineer

I worked at Synygy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Quarterly bonuses for hard work, promotions available, good benefits

Cons

I can’t really think of any

Synygy2019-02-17
  4. "Enjoyed my time here"

I worked at Synygy full-time

Pros

I enjoyed my time here. Good people and a good culture. The CEO is a bit wacky so it's a bit non-traditional.

Cons

Years ago, this was supposed to be a growth business, headed for an IPO. This never happened and I doubt it will. Nonetheless, it's a pretty good place to be.

Synygy2018-07-06

"Sales Manager"

I worked at Synygy full-time

Pros

none! The corporate culture is secretive & paranoid. Summary firings are everyday occurances

Cons

Find somewhere else to share your talent. The corporate culture is secretive & paranoid. Summary firings are everyday occurances

Advice to Management

No one will work for you if you do not change

Synygy2016-10-31

"Opportunities for growth, but management is a problem"

I worked at Synygy full-time

Pros

lots of opportunities to learn different skills & industries. extremely varied work. quick learners and hard workers can move up through the ranks at a good rate.

Cons

management tends to make large changes simply for the sake of change.

Synygy2015-11-12

"No clear path for growth"

Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Synygy for more than 5 years

Pros

Great People Great experience during the early years

Cons

Terrible Stagnation No growth opportunities Limited industry std. skill development

Synygy2015-08-13

"Work Hard, Play Hard."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chester, PA

I have been working at Synygy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One of the biggest pros to working at Synygy is the ability to be creative and navigate your own path to success. You can really define your career if you work hard AND work smart. In addition, the flexibility is priceless. One other thing you don't find at many other jobs, FUN! The company provides many fun outlets and promotes having a good time. This is not something I have experienced anywhere else.

Cons

Work Life balance is tough but I haven't found a place where it isn't. Leadership (Upper level management) isn't always on the same page and is very inconsistent. The only constant is change (although this can be a pro if done right). The PA location is not ideal.

Advice to Management

Leave the creative freedom to below the VP level. People need leadership that have a defined path and some structure. The organic growth should be left to below the VP level - this allows for people to feel like they are bigger contributors with their own ideas and, in turn, creates a positive atmosphere. Don't stop the fun - it is the one thing that has remained consistent through all of the other change. It... really helps deal with some of the pressures we experience every day. More everyday recognition by upper mgmt would be nice - we do peer to peer recognition well - you can copy us :)

Synygy2015-06-22

"Clown show"

I worked at Synygy

Pros

The only reason I am writing anything under the Pros section is because glassdoor forces you to say something positive.

Cons

The CEO micromanages every aspect of the company. It's impossible for anyone to get any meaningful work done. Not sure why Synygy requires that applicants take an aptitude test, because they will be micromanages and their intelligence won't be put to any use. Note that the CEO is now personally responding to all glassdoor posts, which proves his micromanaging ways. Note that he hasn't addressed once in any of... his responses the fact that he micromanages. Also note that all of the positive reviews are reviews posted by Mark. Mark is also the 1 person finding his fake positive reviews 'helpful.'

Advice to Management

Give it up Mark. You have failed repeatedly as CEO. You treat the company as your alter ego instead of an entity that you owe a duty of care to. Your self centered ways is why the company is failing and why no one recognizes Synygy (or Optymyze or Arezzo) as a true player in the SPM market.

Synygy2015-07-11

"You have to take the bad with the good, and there is a LOT of bad..."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chester, PA

I worked at Synygy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For someone right out of school, Synygy offers a great introduction into the business world. You get exposed to clients right away, and you have the opportunity to contribute in a meaningful way very quickly. As you progress in your career, you have plenty of freedom to manage yourself and to seek your own opportunities. Sometimes you need to speak up, but if you are strong, you can really drive your career in the... direction you would want it to go. As a client lead, people with only a couple years of experience are entrusted with decisions as important as contracting. Most of the people you will encounter are very intelligent and are happy to help you. Salaries were low but have improved substantially - most people are now making roughly what the market indicates they should (if bonuses are included). You can develop a very close relationship with your clients, and they can develop a high level of trust in you. You can be called upon to make decisions that will affect tens of thousands of people, and in some cases a 20something at Synygy will (rightfully) have the attention of C-level executives at top 50 companies in the world. The opportunity for impact you can have at a young age while at Synygy is virtually unrivaled, in my experience.

Cons

Training is non-existent - many have attempted to create formal training programs, but upper management does not see the value in it and has, therefore, never supported it beyond a few "way to go" comments when someone briefly has a successful training program. While pay has gotten better, any time you are given a raise, your new salary is your total (base + bonus), which is usually a fair representation of what... you will get. Employees, therefore, take those "bonuses" for granted since they are really just pay deferred until later (quarterly, though earlier this year a monthly bonus program was rolled out). However, we were reminded in 2014 that these bonuses are contingent on Synygy being profitable for the quarter - Mark said that he took out a loan against his home in order to pay bonuses while reminding us of this. I suppose we were supposed to feel grateful to Mark for paying us, but the fact that our bonuses were held over our heads like that made a good number of people more eager to find employment elsewhere. Investment also is non-existent. Synygy relies heavily on technology (recently it has been rebranded as a consulting company, not a software company, but this consulting company relies exlusively on a single, home-grown software solution, which has been rebranded Optymyze), yet the computers provided to employees barely work. At no point in my Synygy career did I use a laptop that was under three years old, and requests for new ones were either ignored or answered with refurbished ones. I once had to go several weeks with a nearly non-functional laptop because the functioning one that was pegged for me was still with someone who had put in their resignation notice - there was never a thought of simply purchasing a new laptop. Synygy brands itself as a sales compensation management company. We specialize in handling complex compensation programs, and when clients outsource their compensation efforts to us, we are responsible for helping them to improve their entire sales operations departments. Synygy's people do a GREAT job of this, which is why clients come back. Unsurprisingly, Synygy has its own incentive compensation program for its employees. However, Synygy has consistent issues with calculating bonuses correctly, with releasing bonus reports on time and with releasing bonus reports that are correct. When confronted about this issue, the response is along the lines of, "Many companies have this same problem - we are not unique." It should not be acceptable for a company whose only business is compensation to fail at compensating its own employees. Staffing is the biggest issue facing employees every day. During my tenure, staffing was always a problem - because there was so much concern about eeking out a profit every quarter, staff levels were kept at or below the levels they needed to be to support the workload on employees. Requests for additional help were met with, "Show where the money is." This shortsighted approach prevented people from getting the support they needed, and when employees would, after being denied support, become overburdened with the workload assigned to them, they would be chastised for not getting help. All of this leads to the core of the problem - upper management. Mark is a mercurial CEO; if he reads something in Harvard Business Review, it can become company policy within days. The entire company is expected to shift focus based on what Mark wants and shoot for a new goal. If profits are not seen within a few weeks, a new strategy is rolled out. In four years I was with Synygy, I saw four fundamental company reorganizations, and every quarter brought a brand new strategy that would take us to the next level. Some strategies were good and some were bad, but none were given enough time to play out. The way it goes is this: Mark says something; upper management says yes; new strategy is unrolled to the rest of the company, with the expectation of it being fully implemented within a few weeks; employees are expected to react and adjust without sacrificing any productivity on their existing projects; employees realize it is likely just a phase, so they keep doing what they had been doing pre-announcement; Mark comes up with a new idea; repeat. And all the while, the rest of upper management basically acts as cheerleaders for whatever the plan is this week.

Advice to Management

A few things... 1. Invest in your company, not just in yourselves. It's okay for the company not to be profitable for a quarter if you have been investing in new technology, new employees, employee well-being. A quick way to make employees lose confidence in their company is by giving them a pay cut, whether that pay cut comes by reducing their pay outright, by reducing healthcare or by eliminating the 401k match.... Of course, that means you need to be willing to accept a slight cut to your pay right now in exchange for a healthy reward two to three years down the line. 2. When you lose more than 20% of your US workforce due to attrition in one year, you have a problem. By the end of 2014, senior people were leaving, saying things like, "I don't want to be the last one to turn the lights off." People had started to leave because others were leaving, and upper management fell deafeningly silent until February, when a series of toothless new policies were rolled out in an attempt to stop the proverbial bleeding. In my opinion, it was too little, too late. 3. Mark, find someone you don't know to become an equal partner with you and Walt. Let that person take over operations of Synygy and actually let that person do his or her job without fear of reprisal for doing something you might disagree with. 4. To the EVPs (or whatever your titles are now), stand up against Mark. I know that you disagree with some of his more ridiculous proposals, but the view from the gallery is that you would rather protect your (very healthy) W2s than help actually improve your company.

Synygy2015-07-01