Synygy Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Scott Cawood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work environment with engaging teams (in 18 reviews)

• Work culture is semi-formal and its easy transition (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Growth opportunities are limited at a certain point in your career (in 7 reviews)

• Work on redundant technologies, no growth in terms of head count, no onsite opportunities (in 5 reviews)

"Opportunities for growth, but management is a problem"

I worked at Synygy full-time

Pros

lots of opportunities to learn different skills & industries. extremely varied work. quick learners and hard workers can move up through the ranks at a good rate.

Cons

management tends to make large changes simply for the sake of change.

"Sales Manager"

I worked at Synygy full-time

Pros

none! The corporate culture is secretive & paranoid. Summary firings are everyday occurances

Cons

Find somewhere else to share your talent. The corporate culture is secretive & paranoid. Summary firings are everyday occurances

Advice to Management

No one will work for you if you do not change

"No clear path for growth"

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Synygy (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great People
    Great experience during the early years

Cons

Terrible Stagnation
    No growth opportunities
    Limited industry std. skill development

"Work Hard, Play Hard."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chester, PA

I have been working at Synygy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the biggest pros to working at Synygy is the ability to be creative and navigate your own path to success. You can really define your career if you work hard AND work smart. In addition, the flexibility is priceless. One other thing you don't find at many other jobs, FUN! The company provides many fun outlets and promotes having a good time. This is not something I have experienced anywhere else.

Cons

Work Life balance is tough but I haven't found a place where it isn't. Leadership (Upper level management) isn't always on the same page and is very inconsistent. The only constant is change (although this can be a pro if done right). The PA location is not ideal.

Advice to Management

Leave the creative freedom to below the VP level. People need leadership that have a defined path and some structure. The organic growth should be left to below the VP level - this allows for people to feel like they are bigger contributors with their own ideas and, in turn, creates a positive atmosphere. Don't stop the fun - it is the one thing that has remained consistent through all of the other change. It really helps deal with some of the pressures we experience every day. More everyday recognition by upper mgmt would be nice - we do peer to peer recognition well - you can copy us :)

Jun 23, 2015 – President

Thank you for taking the time to submit this review.

"Clown show"

Pros

The only reason I am writing anything under the Pros section is because glassdoor forces you to say something positive.

Cons

The CEO micromanages every aspect of the company. It's impossible for anyone to get any meaningful work done. Not sure why Synygy requires that applicants take an aptitude test, because they will be micromanages and their intelligence won't be put to any use.

Note that the CEO is now personally responding to all glassdoor posts, which proves his micromanaging ways. Note that he hasn't addressed once in any of his responses the fact that he micromanages. Also note that all of the positive reviews are reviews posted by Mark. Mark is also the 1 person finding his fake positive reviews 'helpful.'

Advice to Management

Give it up Mark. You have failed repeatedly as CEO. You treat the company as your alter ego instead of an entity that you owe a duty of care to. Your self centered ways is why the company is failing and why no one recognizes Synygy (or Optymyze or Arezzo) as a true player in the SPM market.

"You have to take the bad with the good, and there is a LOT of bad..."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chester, PA

I worked at Synygy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For someone right out of school, Synygy offers a great introduction into the business world. You get exposed to clients right away, and you have the opportunity to contribute in a meaningful way very quickly. As you progress in your career, you have plenty of freedom to manage yourself and to seek your own opportunities. Sometimes you need to speak up, but if you are strong, you can really drive your career in the direction you would want it to go. As a client lead, people with only a couple years of experience are entrusted with decisions as important as contracting.

Most of the people you will encounter are very intelligent and are happy to help you. Salaries were low but have improved substantially - most people are now making roughly what the market indicates they should (if bonuses are included).

You can develop a very close relationship with your clients, and they can develop a high level of trust in you. You can be called upon to make decisions that will affect tens of thousands of people, and in some cases a 20something at Synygy will (rightfully) have the attention of C-level executives at top 50 companies in the world. The opportunity for impact you can have at a young age while at Synygy is virtually unrivaled, in my experience.

Cons

Training is non-existent - many have attempted to create formal training programs, but upper management does not see the value in it and has, therefore, never supported it beyond a few "way to go" comments when someone briefly has a successful training program.

While pay has gotten better, any time you are given a raise, your new salary is your total (base + bonus), which is usually a fair representation of what you will get. Employees, therefore, take those "bonuses" for granted since they are really just pay deferred until later (quarterly, though earlier this year a monthly bonus program was rolled out). However, we were reminded in 2014 that these bonuses are contingent on Synygy being profitable for the quarter - Mark said that he took out a loan against his home in order to pay bonuses while reminding us of this. I suppose we were supposed to feel grateful to Mark for paying us, but the fact that our bonuses were held over our heads like that made a good number of people more eager to find employment elsewhere.

Investment also is non-existent. Synygy relies heavily on technology (recently it has been rebranded as a consulting company, not a software company, but this consulting company relies exlusively on a single, home-grown software solution, which has been rebranded Optymyze), yet the computers provided to employees barely work. At no point in my Synygy career did I use a laptop that was under three years old, and requests for new ones were either ignored or answered with refurbished ones. I once had to go several weeks with a nearly non-functional laptop because the functioning one that was pegged for me was still with someone who had put in their resignation notice - there was never a thought of simply purchasing a new laptop.

Synygy brands itself as a sales compensation management company. We specialize in handling complex compensation programs, and when clients outsource their compensation efforts to us, we are responsible for helping them to improve their entire sales operations departments. Synygy's people do a GREAT job of this, which is why clients come back. Unsurprisingly, Synygy has its own incentive compensation program for its employees. However, Synygy has consistent issues with calculating bonuses correctly, with releasing bonus reports on time and with releasing bonus reports that are correct. When confronted about this issue, the response is along the lines of, "Many companies have this same problem - we are not unique." It should not be acceptable for a company whose only business is compensation to fail at compensating its own employees.

Staffing is the biggest issue facing employees every day. During my tenure, staffing was always a problem - because there was so much concern about eeking out a profit every quarter, staff levels were kept at or below the levels they needed to be to support the workload on employees. Requests for additional help were met with, "Show where the money is." This shortsighted approach prevented people from getting the support they needed, and when employees would, after being denied support, become overburdened with the workload assigned to them, they would be chastised for not getting help.

All of this leads to the core of the problem - upper management. Mark is a mercurial CEO; if he reads something in Harvard Business Review, it can become company policy within days. The entire company is expected to shift focus based on what Mark wants and shoot for a new goal. If profits are not seen within a few weeks, a new strategy is rolled out. In four years I was with Synygy, I saw four fundamental company reorganizations, and every quarter brought a brand new strategy that would take us to the next level. Some strategies were good and some were bad, but none were given enough time to play out. The way it goes is this: Mark says something; upper management says yes; new strategy is unrolled to the rest of the company, with the expectation of it being fully implemented within a few weeks; employees are expected to react and adjust without sacrificing any productivity on their existing projects; employees realize it is likely just a phase, so they keep doing what they had been doing pre-announcement; Mark comes up with a new idea; repeat. And all the while, the rest of upper management basically acts as cheerleaders for whatever the plan is this week.

Advice to Management

A few things...

1. Invest in your company, not just in yourselves. It's okay for the company not to be profitable for a quarter if you have been investing in new technology, new employees, employee well-being. A quick way to make employees lose confidence in their company is by giving them a pay cut, whether that pay cut comes by reducing their pay outright, by reducing healthcare or by eliminating the 401k match. Of course, that means you need to be willing to accept a slight cut to your pay right now in exchange for a healthy reward two to three years down the line.

2. When you lose more than 20% of your US workforce due to attrition in one year, you have a problem. By the end of 2014, senior people were leaving, saying things like, "I don't want to be the last one to turn the lights off." People had started to leave because others were leaving, and upper management fell deafeningly silent until February, when a series of toothless new policies were rolled out in an attempt to stop the proverbial bleeding. In my opinion, it was too little, too late.

3. Mark, find someone you don't know to become an equal partner with you and Walt. Let that person take over operations of Synygy and actually let that person do his or her job without fear of reprisal for doing something you might disagree with.

4. To the EVPs (or whatever your titles are now), stand up against Mark. I know that you disagree with some of his more ridiculous proposals, but the view from the gallery is that you would rather protect your (very healthy) W2s than help actually improve your company.

"Great place to work with opportunity for growth!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chester, PA

I have been working at Synygy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As many others have said, the people are what make the company. There are a lot of really intelligent and charismatic people, and you will always find someone willing to help. I also think there is tremendous opportunity for growth and career advancement. From leading small initiatives to interacting with clients, you aren't just encouraged to take ownership but you are given the opportunity to drive your career. I find that most employees are rewarded for their hard work -- sometimes this can depend on your group . Aside from promotions , there are also team celebrations and awards for individual recognition. I have also found work flexibility to be another great part of Synygy. Working from home is an option when you are sick or have a personal appointment to attend, which is nice. The company also sponsors events throughout the year for employees -- Winter/Summer Soltice parties, in office happy hours once a month, fun Friday's. There is also a great in-house café, as the outside lunch options are few and far between. I don't think you will find another culture quite like Synygy elsewhere - it really is a unique place!

Cons

Burnout is definitely something that can happen here. Demands can be high, and hours can be long. It can sometimes be a struggle to find a good work-life balance. The benefits package is not great. There is no formal training.

Jun 18, 2015 – President

Thank you for the positive review, your loyalty as we navigate this period of change and high growth is much appreciated.
    Your concerns about long hours and lack of formal training are top of mind... More

"Management ruins an otherwise good thing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, PA

I have been working at Synygy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As everyone else mentions, the coworkers are great and certain jobs do provide some perks.

Cons

If you take a job here, and as nearly all the other reviews mention, you will soon learn horror stories of the CEO and how he micromanages every little process and makes doing your job ultimately not achievable. It's true. I've been here many years and in fact may have written a positive Glassdoor review a few years ago.... at the request of HR, which was acting under directive of CEO(!!) Clearly he's now feeling the impacts of his abusive actions as he's recently started trying to spin all these reviews with his positive, salesy rebuttals. I used to love my job here.

There are positives, but the negatives have grown to strongly outweigh them. The churn in our company/companies (refer to Optymyze, Arezzo Sky, SPM Professional Services and others --- he tightly controls all) is very much still happening.

Job seekers beware. It may be attractive, but the lies and abuse are the foundation - it's just a matter of how long it takes you to discover or be impacted by them.

Advice to Management

What's the point, CEO controls everyone else, doesn't let them work. and he is too far gone.

Jun 18, 2015 – President

Thanks for taking the time to write this review, it’s good to see you’re also appreciating the great people inside the company.

Employees that have been with us as we navigate this period of... More

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chester, PA

I have been working at Synygy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working here for just under a year, and I wanted to post my honest opinion. It's unfortunate that more current employees don't post their thoughts, because then the reviews tend to get a little biased. The majority of people tend to be pretty happy here, but the ones who had a very negative opinion (outliers in the grand scheme of the company) are the ones who feel the need to vent on the internet. So, please take this as an unbiased review from someone who still works there.

Pros:
    Ownership - definitely my favorite part about this company. You really have the opportunity here to take ownership of projects and be a leader on workstreams - even early on in your career. Within your project, there are a number of sub-projects at any given time, and it's totally reasonable that you could own a workstream and lead people who are more senior than you.

Client Exposure - This goes along with owning projects. Even people at a relatively junior level have the opportunity to work directly with clients, and as you develop a trusting relationship with your particular client team, they will reach out to you directly with questions. At many other companies, this chain of communication flows through the PM exclusively, so it's great to be able to get that direct access to the client.

Flexibility - working from home is rarely an issue, so it's nice to have that option.

Food - Unrelated to the day to day work, but I love food, so it's worth highlighting. Synygy has an in-house cafeteria that's awesome. Chef John Pensyl is fantastic. He and his team come up with all kinds of innovative lunches and take home dinners. I've had Mexican, Italian, Indian, Asian, and American food here, and it's all delicious. I find that I rarely cook anymore. I just don't see a point when I can take home from here. Even better - the food is discounted!

Cons

Burnout - the project demands are very high, and in addition to that we have internal objectives, so the workload can become very intense, very quickly. There are times when the work-life balance becomes more skewed than I would like.

Lack of recognition at times - I find that this really depends on the project, but it sometimes seems like working above and beyond goes unrecognized. It's seems to be the mentality that the workload is high on some projects and you are simply expected to meet the demands, where on other projects that same work would be considered extraordinary and recognized accordingly.

May 14, 2015 – President

Thank you for the authentic review – we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, acknowledging positive facts, and recognizing the company for its pros and cons.

Speaking of... More

"Excellent place to work, despite some shortcomings"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, PA

I have been working at Synygy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility - I have never had an issue with managing work/life integration - including working remote, last minute time off requests, FMLA extensions, etc.
    Culture - Incredibly smart colleagues and younger professional services department. The company invests in events and other programs to create a collaborative, fun environment.
    Personal Growth - Your career is what you make of it. You will have to work hard for your own success, but you will be recognized for your accomplishments.
    Salary - I have always been treated fairly and my requests are usually met. Management is certainly open to negotiation.

Cons

Benefits - Especially if you have a family, this is one area that needs some rework. Too much money spent out of pocket on medical costs.
    Location/Environment - Not much in the area, so it makes it nearly impossible to run errands during work hours. Work space (furniture, equipment, etc.) needs an update.
    Decision Making - Your influence only goes so far. Every decision about pricing needs to be approved by executive leadership.
    Resource Management - The company is constantly understaffed, so the people in higher level positions are doing work many levels below to cover for shortages. Burnout happens too easily and the value add of higher level positions is diminished, which stunts internal innovation and growth.

Advice to Management

Do more to recognize employees publicly and foster a more positive working environment through leading by example. Constantly bring in new employees to prevent burnout, create a buffer for normal turnover, and give people more opportunities for advancement. Listen to our customers and our employees requests and honor them when they make sense. Last but not least, revamp the benefits package!

Apr 21, 2015 – President

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback, and for being part of Synygy’s great culture for more than 10 years.

As a current employee, you know about our employee growth initiative—which has a... More