Synygy Reviews | Glassdoor

Synygy Reviews

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work environment with engaging teams (in 18 reviews)

• Work culture is semi-formal and its easy transition (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Growth opportunities are limited at a certain point in your career (in 7 reviews)

• Work on redundant technologies, no growth in terms of head count, no onsite opportunities (in 5 reviews)

"Don't be fooled!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, PA

I worked at Synygy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Relaxed atmosphere. People seem to be very nice, friendly and helpful. Cafe staff is great!

Cons

The veil was removed once I got there. I was there less than a year and heard more complaints about this company than i ever had in my life. Everyone there hates the company, hates the CEO and hates the products they are working on. Before I went there I read all of the negative entries on Glassdoor and thought maybe it was some bitter employees that were fired or something. That was NOT the case! The CEO is a micro manager and talks down to everyone he interacts with. All top-level employees can't stand him and are either getting fired or quitting. Just recently they let go about 40 people. Don't make the mistake I made and listen to the GREAT 5 star ratings, especially if you are in a secure position, I was told that the CEO pays people to specifically put those ratings on there to get people in. They will lure you in by lying, then everything is different once you cross the walls.

Advice to Management

Sell it! This company is a mess from the top down! Good and sincere people work there, but its ruined by horrible management!

Apr 8, 2015 – President

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and being part of our relaxed atmosphere, even if for less than a year. People are indeed very nice, friendly and helpful. Despite all of the... More

"Good place to start, but becomes increasingly frustrating the longer you stay."

I worked at Synygy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're less than a few years out of college, Synygy can be a great place to launch a career. Some highlights:

-You'll likely have opportunities to do meaningful, client-facing work soon after starting. You'll be given broad responsibilities and have a lot of freedom in how you want to complete your work. It's not a typical mindless entry level job where you're told exactly what to do and how to do it.

-There's a fairly well defined career path (Associate -> Consultant -> Sr. Consultant -> Manager) and if you're a top performer, you can earn a promotion every 2 years or so. That said, you still have to contend with office politics and it can be frustrating to see others (who you perceive as less qualified) promoted ahead of you.

-Laid back, open style office including the ability to work from home.

-Annual raises are typically pretty solid, at least for high performers. Mine were 6-8% per year. There are separate increases for promotions as well.

-Opportunities for occasional travel.

-Most co-workers are young(ish) and smart, and you can make a lot of friends.

-Monthly happy hours are nice, and the winter & summer solstice parties are really nice.

Cons

-The CEO/founder is a loon, as many other reviews have pointed out. While he was able to grow the company to its current size, it's basically been stagnant for the past 5-10 years, and actually shrunk significantly the past 1-2 years. That's due to one failed initiative after another, all ultimately coming from him. He lives in Singapore and is rarely in the office, but still meddles with everything. The vast majority of employees have a negative opinion of him, and senior leadership turnover is high - either because he fires them or because they quit when they get sick of dealing with him. (For the record, the CEO/founder is Mark Stiffler. Synygy keeps trying to manipulate their Glassdoor page to remove his name because he piles up so many negative reviews.)

-Synygy likes to say that change is a constant, however at Synygy it's mainly just talk of change. Day 1 and Day 1,000 were very similar for me, even though the superficial things like job titles and who I reported to changed many times. After a while, you realize the grand plans for the future are nothing more than talk and very little actually changes.

-Senior leadership below the CEO is also a disaster. There's approximately a bajillion VPs and directors who are constantly being hired/fired/promoted, and they never seem to coordinate or agree with each other. Many of them are smart on their own, but management as a collective is a listless ship adrift in an ocean.

-Management can also be vindictive. There's a non-complete clause which they are not afraid to sue low-level employees over. Anyone who quits HR dismisses as having a bad attitude or not being a good fit, even if they were a great employee.

-The job is not particularly transferrable and the higher you climb on the Synygy ladder, the less career options you have when you want to move on.

-Depending on your client (which you more or less randomly get assigned to) and your personality, you can end up working a lot of hours. You may also be expected to work these long hours if you want to be promoted - though working long hours doesn't guarantee anything.

-The benefits are pretty weak compared to similar jobs. The 401k match is awful, the health plans aren't great and you need to pay a significant portion of the cost, and there's no education or training assistance.

Advice to Management

Management isn't going to change as long as Mark Stiffler is running the show. He needs to either step away and just collect the checks, or get serious about what it takes to run the company full time and start treating it as more than a hobby. The SPM space has become much more competitive so major overhauls are needed to attract/retain clients.

Apr 14, 2015 – President

Thank you for taking the time to write such an extended review – Synygy indeed provides a unique opportunity for people who want to have a direct impact on our success and the success of our clients... More

"Stay away"

I worked at Synygy full-time

Pros

There are a few:
    - the office is nice
    - cafeteria
    - a few friendly people

Cons

Too many:
    - Disastrous management.
    - Almost everyone’s morale is extremely low.
    - The company has a pretty bad reputation in the SPM arena and a lot of clients already left or are looking at other vendors
    - This is definitely not a good, safe, long-term job; if you have a mortgage or kids or anything like that, stay away
    - Terminations are sometimes fair and employees with a long history of poor performance are eliminated, but not always. You’ll hear some disturbing stories about former employees who disagreed with the wrong manager / the kind of terminations meant to serve as a warning for anyone who dares to speak up
    - Promotions are also questionable. There seems to be a constant fear that your job is at risk, so executives try to eliminate managers that might rise up and become a threat, managers do the same thing with consultants. It's not a good place to stand out and be recognized as a great performer, you'll attract a lot of opposition
    - HR is terrible - spying, spreading rumors, playing favorites for friends
    - Their software isn’t up to par with what the competition offers and the pipeline doesn’t look great
    - The experience you gain here isn't that good either. You’ll become an expert of a technology that’s full of bugs and doesn't sell well + you can’t use your exposure to sales performance management because of the non-compete clause

Synygy is not a good choice, even for a fresh grad

Advice to Management

Quit? Sell? I can’t see other options.

May 13, 2015 – President

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We’ve recently come out from a larger-than-usual, once-in-a-decade strategic transformation which caused a high degree of organizational change, a... More

"Thank goodness it's over"

Former Employee - Manager in Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Chester, PA

I worked at Synygy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There were some nice people to work with who accomplished great things given the limited resources and no budget. They tried to make things fun with various monthly and annual events.

Cons

Lack of strategic direction and long term vision. Management by fear and humiliation permeates throughout. A lot of back-stabbing throughout mid-level management. Many employees lacked other real-world experience and weree too proud to learn from those that had it.

Advice to Management

Decide what you want to be in the future and build a path to get there. Don't be so reactionary, instead have some forethought. Empower you leaders to make decisions and take risks. Don't focus on the HOW it gets done, focus on results. Don't be so hypocritical regarding the book about performance management.

"All Hail the Malevolent Dictator"

I worked at Synygy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are definitely the biggest pro here. You will get an opportunity to work with a lot of really intelligent people, with great ideas on how to make things better here. People will work with you to learn new things, and you can seek out opportunities on subjects you may be interested.

The cafe is great, bringing back Chef is one of the best things they've done.

Cons

But monthly happy hours and solstice parties don't make up for all the shortcomings. They will hard sell it to you in the interview- beware.

The CEO is the biggest negative. He runs the company like a dictatorship. He keeps bringing in new VPs and then when they suggest ideas that don't agree with his own he crushes their spirits until they are fired, leave or just become ineffective and give up. Everyone is afraid to stand up to him.

This also causes constant turnover, with a large majority of the employees having lasted less than 5 years.

The company growth is stagnant, the CEO has been floundering- constantly reorganizing the company (because he read some great HBS/MIT article that week) in hopes it will make a difference when he is the biggest problem. The CEO says he wants to improve things and make investments, but any time you suggest adding a product from a third party he suggests building it in our software. You want to do your best to help our clients but all his rules and changes don't allow it. It's not agile to suggest training new employees is a waste of time. Also if you travel for client work, congratulations you are "staying in a room with the CEO" because he requires all of us to use his rewards numbers.

HR walks around like a roving pack of mean girls. They had meetings about wanting to increase communication and then mysteriously a review appeared on Glassdoor giving the company 5 stars and suggesting the same. The CEO also made a post on our social networking site about "addressing the negative reviews on Glassdoor". You can't tell HR anything or trust them. They say there is work flexibility, meanwhile they sit by the doors to TH glaring at you if you come in late or leave early and will tell on you to your mentor/manager even though they have no insight whatsoever into how you are spending your time.

Benefits are a joke, there's a laughable 401k match and the health plan is a HDHP. You accrue days off 2 per month but none if there's holidays in that month that take them up. Homegrown intranet apps are dated and the team that supports them constantly making mistakes, and hard to reach since they're based out of India.

Advice to Management

There's no hope for this company with the CEO running in, he's proven time and time again he's not interested in anyone's opinions but his own and those who agree with him.

Mar 8, 2015 – President

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review – it’s appreciated. People are indeed very nice, friendly and helpful. Despite all of the changes that any organization undergoes over... More

"Terrible, terrible company. I should have looked at the other reviews before I accepted."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chester, PA

I have been working at Synygy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pros I can think of is that it teaches you a company can make up any reason whatsoever to fire you. I took my experience there as a life-lesson and it made me realize to do more research on a company before I accept a position.

Cons

I was told this was an entry-level position where I would be trained in every aspect when I started. I was not. I am being 100% truthful. I don't want readers to think I am making this up because I am bitter with how things ended. I want people to take this review seriously and think long and hard about this job. I was put on an implementation using their proprietary software and told to complete tasks with no instruction. The most senior person on my team had been there for 3 months and he had no idea how to do the tasks I was given either. I would have given my manager a bad review if i wasn't afraid of retaliation since I was a new hire. Giving him a good review made no difference. My manager refused to show me how to do things in the system, instead telling me to "have confidence to make mistakes" or "dig deeper into the details" and to consult the Help guide. I was given no warning I was being let go. I just got called into a room by HR and the director of my team and told i wasn't showing initiative or taking ownership. They could provide no concrete examples of what i was doing poorly. I asked them if i could be switched to another team or given a week to perform better and was denied. Again, I was never placed on a warning for my work or under the impression that I was performing unsatisfactorily. I reached out for help multiple times and was denied. I have never, ever been fired from a job before and I have never felt the need to write a review about a company. I wish I had read the reviews on here before I accepted. Please read all the reviews before you accept!

Advice to Management

No advice, i've wasted enough time already.

Mar 8, 2015 – President

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. As any innovative business, we regard change as a method of progress and we require people who can adapt, learn and grow in this direction. In the... More

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Sales in Chester, PA

I worked at Synygy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Peers are great people to work with.

Cons

Terrible Management
    Poor Leadership
    Summary Terminations
    Lack of respect for associates and their families
    Product is Smoke and Mirrors & as soon as an employee figures this out they are terminated

Advice to Management

The people working for you have families to support. Your lack of concern for your staffs welfare, your nonchalant terminations have created a culture that will make the quicksand they have landed in bring even the best employees to seek employment elsewhere. Everyone quickly learns termination is inevitable so better to leave before you get bored with them and let them go.
    Worst Company to work for

Mar 8, 2015 – President

"Challenging experince, but lots of learning and growth."

I worked at Synygy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Office culture is pretty fun. Lots of smart young(ish) people with common interests. Some opportunity to travel abroad to visit global offices and meet foreign co-workers when they come to the US. Internal training.

Cons

Little input into assignments for areas of interest. Very long hours at times with stress. Company was trying a one-size fits all approach to employee development, but I believe they have changed course some. Pay was not commesurate with the complexity and volume of work.

Advice to Management

Frequent strategy changes can be confusing and disruptive to employees.

"Baptism by Fire"

I worked at Synygy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, this is a great place if you are just starting out or if you want to round out your professional experience early in a career. You will be exposed to a demanding client facing work environment and will have your hands in meaningful projects even as a junior team member. Moreover, there are some really good people here at all levels. Due in no small part to their applicant screening, I also found that my colleagues were at the very least intelligent. Lastly, the company made concerted efforts to boost morale with monthly events (Herberts) and fantastic winter solstice parties.

Cons

If you're not one to force boundaries between your personal and work life, this is not the place for you. You can easily be putting in 50-60 hour weeks with more left to do at the end of it. That is just the nature of the work. There will always be the crisis du jour. While the initial salary offering was a good base, I found that the raises were low even with eventual promotion. In short, the long hours fostered burnout and the lack of reward for good/hard work was demotivating. This is normal stuff and I don't think this is an isolated experience at Synygy. However, it is something to be aware of if you are seeking a position here. Like I said, this strikes me as a good place to start out or round out your experience before moving on. To put this in a positive lite, work life will be a breeze once you've had your Baptism by Fire at Synygy.

Advice to Management

At this very moment, I see employee morale as a major issue that will eventually catch up with the company if not addressed as a legitimate concern. Synygy is currently losing a lot of good people that would have stuck around if they were just a little more hopeful about the health of their careers and felt personally invested in the future success of the company. If the company feels that the level of churn is unsustainable, they should move quick to identify and reward those that remain loyal and productive.

"change is a constant, in a constantly changing industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Synygy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people, doing hard work. HR seems to consistently pick excellent people who a a perfect match for the unique and rewarding culture. of course some dont work out but the ones who do are the reason Synygy is as great as it is. the Synygy culture is what sets it apart from working at just any job. That part is constant. Its the rest of the company that is always on the move, setting trends and staying ahead of the big boys who strolled the path Synygy blazed into this market. Synygy is always on the move to stay ahead of, and help set the curve.

Cons

Trust is hard for the CEO. he is a brilliant man and expects his employees to be the same. But he has a hard time trusting his sr management to take his lead and flow it down through the ranks. he is very hands on and involved.