Sysco LABS Reviews

Updated May 8, 2021

4.1
Sysco LABS CEO Mani Kulasooriya (no image)
Mani Kulasooriya
Pros
  • "I was with this company from the early days when it was called Leapset and before it got acquired by Sysco(in 9 reviews)

• "Work Life balance is excellent as much as you want it to be(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work-life balance is not the best(in 6 reviews)

• "I was very lucky with my time at Leapset(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work!

Feb 16, 2021 - Restaurant Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home. Progressive culture. Great pay.

Cons

Occasional disconnects in communication between upper management and frontline. Work life balance is meh. Merger with Sysco made culture slightly less progressive.

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

LOst DIrection

Mar 26, 2021 - Accountant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly work environment and people

Cons

Lost direction, management, no clear vision, don't invest in people

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Avoid This Place

Sep 18, 2020 - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

People in non-management are extremely friendly, and it's easy to find friends.

Cons

Complete waterfall process, non-agile. Expect dates to be set before projects are started, or scoped. Expect non-collaboration from some product managers regarding requirements or scope. Most work is completed by the Sri Lanka office, and not the Austin office. Expect many early in the morning phone calls. Expect Sri Lankan project managers to set impossible project deadlines, and report upwards that you are not meeting your goals. Most departments do not have sufficiently senior staff to complete projects. Engineering is severely under-skilled. Most engineers do not know how most parts of the system work. Management is severely critical of engineering. Expect constant feedback that engineering is not performing. Expect to be micro-managed. Positive feedback is never given.

8 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Disorganized product release profile, lack of alignment and culture

May 6, 2020 - Content Manager in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people who care about customers, other employees; start-up culture within a huge organization (Sysco)

Cons

Decisions made without considering all information; executives who aren't truly leaders but guys who started a tech company and were thrown into the role; lack of alignment between Austin and every other office; talk the talk but don't walk the walk when it comes to culture

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

What an amazing place to be 40 hours a week.

Jun 19, 2019 - Customer Support Representative in Cypress, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

You are surrounded by a friendly, caring and supportive team. It is an amazing place to work being full time bc they are your second family. The work culture is the best and they really try to help you grow here. .. Managers, directors, CEOS.. they all care about your growth and want you to exceed. Honestly, the best part is they really take care of you. Everyone is passionate about their job and works really hard. I enjoy coming to work everday and seeing everyone knowing they are there to make your day enjoyable, but also keep you productive. Plus, there is food on wednesdays. A gym. A cafe that sells salmon and steak. I mean.. thats not the reason to work here, but its definitely a pro.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.. except maybe that bc you need to know A LOT in support, it can be overwhelming.. but its not necessarily a con. I would just say that if there were specialized trainings offered, that would be great. However, its understandable that procedures constantly change.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Exciting opportunity, good people

Oct 6, 2019 - Product in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best of both worlds - small, fun team with the stability and reach of a massive company. Unique opportunity to make a major impact on the broader Sysco organization and disrupt the foodservice industry through interesting work within a hard-working yet flexible, laid back environment. Talented, open leadership team that cares about its people and takes action to hold individuals accountable when necessary. People are smart, kind, driven and collaborative. Pay is excellent and the new office downtown is beautiful.

Cons

Can be challenging to drive the level of change as fast as the team is capable of, due to operating in a traditionally slow-moving industry. Limited female and diverse leadership, although no different than any other tech company, and current leadership shows genuine promise to improve this.

HR

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this feedback, we always appreciate it! We’re so glad that you also appreciate the impact we make here at Sysco LABS, and we agree the brand-new downtown office isn’t so bad either :) ! And thank you for your concern regarding change implementation and leadership diversity. We understand that both these issues are essential for a successful organization, and as you mentioned, our leadership is taking steps to implement more processes in place to ensure diversity being a top priority in our hiring process. We are working on a establishing a women’s group in Sysco LABS to help promote and engage women in the workplace to start- and are excited to see what else the future holds!

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best Kept Secret in Austin

Feb 6, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Smart co-workers working on real products that real people use. * Everyone is encouraged to ask questions, engage and really solve problems. * Best of both worlds - a small start up tech incubator backed by a Fortune 60 company. * Beautifual office and tons of flexibility.

Cons

We move fast. May not be for everyone.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Hidden Gem for Engineering in Austin

Oct 31, 2019 - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity Rare opportunity to actually build new products and be backed by a large company. When I started at LABS, I was worried that it would feel like corporate IT, but it is just the opposite. While you get the benefit of job security for working for a name like Sysco the LABS department feels like its own small software company. It’s like working for a start up without the risk. Job The roadmap for engineering is pretty exciting with all the projects we have coming in the pipeline. Most other places I worked in Austin was just about maintaining pre-existing code bases with all their issues making sure the main product stays afloat while having minimal time for new products. This is not the case here, which means that I have already gotten to learn a lot and grow as an engineer. Also, the mission of changing how food gets on your plate is a pretty fun goal. People Due to the roadmap there has been a lot of growth and new faces. I am happy with the people I get to call my co-workers. Everyone is friendly and I have not dealt with people being arrogant, which is the most annoying part about some of the other engineering teams I have worked on in Austin. In addition, the leadership here has impressed me. I have had several one on one conversations with many of them and I know they cared about what I had to say and listened to any concerns I had. It was a world of difference to what I have experienced in the past. Perks • We just moved to a new office downtown. It is super nice, and we all have fancy new Herman Miller adjustable desks. • Good benefits with healthcare and 401K. I know they are even working on making healthcare better. • Work from home – this is great when you have appointments and just general things in life. It has really helped me when needed and I haven’t worked with people who take advantage of it. • Typical Austin engineering perks like snacks and lunches. One thing that LABS does stand out for is that the person in charge of this for the office really cares and makes sure we have all kinds of options to choose from. • Great work life balance.

Cons

Due to all the exciting initiatives you can expect some changes in how we work. I know this seems to bother some of the other reviewers on glassdoor. However, I don’t see it as a con. People who come to work here should be ready to hit the ground running and pivot when needed while we iron out standards/processes while growing. You can’t innovate without change. The parental leave here is really poor, especially when you compare it to other places in Austin. In 2019, I am surprised such a large company has this. We have been told this is currently being addressed by leadership and it has been brought up in our town halls, so I feel good about that changing. The PTO (17 days, 2 floating holidays) is also not as good as some of the other tech places in Austin. This was also addressed in one of our town halls, so I am hopeful they are looking into that too.

1 person found this review helpful

HR

Thank you so much for taking the time to reflect, and for giving some helpful and detailed feedback! We are so glad that you value the down-to-earth vibe of our team here, as we grow we are planning to make sure that it stays that way :). And thank you for your honesty regarding your concerns with our parental leave and PTO, as you mentioned, it is top of mind for our leadership as we grow.

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not the company it used to be.

Aug 7, 2019 - Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Snacks, catered lunches, some good people.

Cons

This company used to be known as CAKE, which was a great place to work. Great people, cool product. Once Sysco took over, a lot of things changed. Management lies: Had a lead lie about what I had said and done. I had proof both through chat and through co-worker testimony who were ready and waiting to come to my defense. Management didn't care whatsoever and never looked into the issue. The Lead still works there with zero repercussions. If you aren't management, watch your back. Don't show up to innovate: Had brought up ways to improve the way we were doing things. Was told several times "higher ups want it done this way" or "this is just how we do it" with no real explanation. If you're looking to be creative and enjoy your time, don't work here.

6 people found this review helpful

HR

Thanks for the feedback. The products we are now building process a significant portion of Sysco’s revenue every day - this requires a different level of engineering rigor from what we had in place with CAKE. We have had minimal engineering attrition through the Sysco acquisition, the shift in engineering focus, and the move to the new downtown Austin office – in fact, we have doubled the size of the team in the past 18 months and are continuing our significant growth in the future. We’ve evolved from scrappy start-up mode to a mission-critical team for a $60 BB+ company and are highly focused on the employee experience and office culture of the Austin team.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

Dec 24, 2019 - Office Manager/Executive Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, location, working for a Fortune 100 company and of course the great coworkers :)

Cons

Lack of leadership training. It seems as if people are promoted to Managers/Supervisors and are not given the mentorship to truly move forward in that position.

1 person found this review helpful