Sysco LABS Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Sysco LABS Reviews

Updated Oct 6, 2019

Found 71 reviews

4.0
Sysco LABS CEO Mani Kulasooriya (no image)
Mani Kulasooriya
Pros
  • "Work Life balance is excellent as much as you want it to be(in 6 reviews)

• "Sysco has allowed CAKE to be pretty independent which is a good thing(in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"It's the little things that count!"

Current Employee - Menu Supervisor in Cypress, TX

I have been working at Sysco LABS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

For as long as I have worked for this company they have always done these really nice employee morale boosters. From silly fun stuff to celebrate to our weekly lunches they are always sending the message that they care about our happiness. They also demonstrate this in how they handle employee dissatisfaction. If you are upset for any reason, doesn't even have to be work related, there is an open door policy and... your supervisor is encouraged to take the time to listen and if possible help resolve what might be bothering you.

Cons

I just don't have anything to list here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the forward movement, the growth and the employee first environment that has always made this a great place to work.

Sysco LABS2019-06-26
  2. "Exciting opportunity, good people"

Current Employee - Product in Austin, TX

I have been working at Sysco LABS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best of both worlds - small, fun team with the stability and reach of a massive company. Unique opportunity to make a major impact on the broader Sysco organization and disrupt the foodservice industry through interesting work within a hard-working yet flexible, laid back environment. Talented, open leadership team that cares about its people and takes action to hold individuals accountable when necessary. People... are smart, kind, driven and collaborative. Pay is excellent and the new office downtown is beautiful.

Cons

Can be challenging to drive the level of change as fast as the team is capable of, due to operating in a traditionally slow-moving industry. Limited female and diverse leadership, although no different than any other tech company, and current leadership shows genuine promise to improve this.

Sysco LABS2019-10-07

"Great culture and a lot of potential"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Sysco LABS full-time for more than a year

Pros

- A lot of growth opportunity - Great culture and teammates - Competent leadership and engineers

Cons

- Working for a large Fortune 100 public company has its challenges - Downtown traffic can be tough if you live in the suburbs

Advice to Management

- Keep being transparent with the direction of the organization - Continue keeping the culture fun and engaging

Sysco LABS2019-10-02

"Unemployment Would Be a Better Option"

Former Employee - Product in Austin, TX

I worked at Sysco LABS full-time for more than a year

Pros

-good work life balance, in that half of your coworkers will be "wfh" on any given day -perfect destination if you love a male-dominated sexist environment

Cons

I can only assume the positive reviews on here come from different divisions (LABS encompasses several different groups across multiple regions who have very little interaction with each other as everyone here works in silos.) I can only speak to the forward-facing part (non-engineering) part of the Austin office. -management plays favorites, will force out anyone (overwhelmingly women) who doesn't fall in line... with their ludicrous projections -management also has no experience building products in this area; if anyone points out that their ideas are unworkable, they get a target on their back -do you like coworkers making snide remarks about others/your looks, skills, sexual orientation, or manner of dress? LABS is the place for you! -When they decide they want to push someone out, they will use vague, gendered language such as "not a team player", "doesn't smile/seem excited" "doesn't make PMs feel good in meetings" rather than anything actionable or measurable. -People disappear suddenly, with no warning, throwing planned objectives into chaos constantly. -HR department is one of the most deceptive, unempathetic, laughably incompetent departments I've ever worked with. -When I inquired as to leadership's plan to help us reach our annual company goals as we were woefully behind, I was told by my manager that the company would lie and change the metric in order to make sure we met them no matter what, essentially confirming a lack of accountability in leadership. Do yourself a favor and do some research on LinkedIn as to how many people have turned over from this place in the last year. Then turn and run for the hills.

Advice to Management

Sysco Corporate needs to stop turning a blind eye to the awful work environment that allows sociopaths to rise to the top.

Sysco LABS2019-09-26

October 7, 2019HR

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback, though it’s unfortunate to see that you exited with such a negative outlook on Sysco Labs. While we are definitely in a period of growth and transition, we always aim to be consistent in providing a fair and equitable environment for all employees. These are very alarming accusations, and ones that we have not heard from any other representative of the employee population. We take these concerns very seriously and regularly encourage team members to bring all concerns, (small or large), to the attention of their manager or directly to the greater leadership team.

5. "Cake!"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Cypress, TX

I have been working at Sysco LABS full-time for less than a year

Pros

+ Great Culture + Great Work Environment + Hours + Professional and Friendly Co Workers I have only been with the company for a month and I can honestly say this is the best call center that I have ever worked at. They actually care about the employee as much if not more than the customer. Pretty easy job with some really cool perks.

Cons

- Weird Pay Schedule

Advice to Management

N/A

Sysco LABS2019-08-13

"Wrong leadership, dying culture"

Former Employee - Director, Business Operations in Austin, TX

I worked at Sysco LABS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Office has lots of parking and near restaurants

Cons

No accountability over leadership. Leadership positions filled with non-leaders

Advice to Management

Find someone who will improve the culture and support staff rather then dive them out

Sysco LABS2019-07-23

October 7, 2019HR

Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback. As is the case with any growing company, we sometimes need to make long-term business decisions that have short-term implications. Please know that none of these decisions are made lightly, and are always made with the best interests of the greater employee population in mind. We are proud of the leadership team we have built, and maintaining/ growing our office culture in meaningful ways is addressed on a regular cadence across the org.

"Not the company it used to be."

Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Sysco LABS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Snacks, catered lunches, some good people.

Cons

This company used to be known as CAKE, which was a great place to work. Great people, cool product. Once Sysco took over, a lot of things changed. Management lies: Had a lead lie about what I had said and done. I had proof both through chat and through co-worker testimony who were ready and waiting to come to my defense. Management didn't care whatsoever and never looked into the issue. The Lead still works... there with zero repercussions. If you aren't management, watch your back. Don't show up to innovate: Had brought up ways to improve the way we were doing things. Was told several times "higher ups want it done this way" or "this is just how we do it" with no real explanation. If you're looking to be creative and enjoy your time, don't work here.

Advice to Management

You think it was just a coincidence all those people left at the same time? You turned the work place into trash. Almost everyone who was there originally from CAKE have left, and for good reason. Not that you will read this or even care about what people are saying... shame you turned such a great place into a cesspool.

Sysco LABS2019-08-07

October 7, 2019HR

Thanks for the feedback. The products we are now building process a significant portion of Sysco’s revenue every day - this requires a different level of engineering rigor from what we had in place with CAKE. We have had minimal engineering attrition through the Sysco acquisition, the shift in engineering focus, and the move to the new downtown Austin office – in fact, we have doubled the size of the team in the past 18 months and are continuing our significant growth in the future. We’ve evolved from scrappy start-up mode to a mission-critical team for a $60 BB+ company and are highly focused on the employee experience and office culture of the Austin team.

8. "What an amazing place to be 40 hours a week."

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Cypress, TX

I have been working at Sysco LABS full-time for more than a year

Pros

You are surrounded by a friendly, caring and supportive team. It is an amazing place to work being full time bc they are your second family. The work culture is the best and they really try to help you grow here. .. Managers, directors, CEOS.. they all care about your growth and want you to exceed. Honestly, the best part is they really take care of you. Everyone is passionate about their job and works... really hard. I enjoy coming to work everday and seeing everyone knowing they are there to make your day enjoyable, but also keep you productive. Plus, there is food on wednesdays. A gym. A cafe that sells salmon and steak. I mean.. thats not the reason to work here, but its definitely a pro.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.. except maybe that bc you need to know A LOT in support, it can be overwhelming.. but its not necessarily a con. I would just say that if there were specialized trainings offered, that would be great. However, its understandable that procedures constantly change.

Advice to Management

Set expectations, especially to new hires. Even though this is a fun, relaxed environment.. we do CRUSHING work. Employees need to be self disciplined to support the rest of the team.

Sysco LABS2019-06-19
  9. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Administrative in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sysco LABS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People, Culture, room to grow, respect, variety of tasks, exciting, fulfilling.

Cons

Not for those looking for a consistent day in day out.

Advice to Management

Keep up the vision and culture.

Sysco LABS2019-06-18

"Best place I’ve ever worked"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Sysco LABS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Culture, smart colleagues, perks, pay, interesting work

Cons

Nothing to list right now. The company may be growing a little too fast.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Don’t contaminate the great culture Sysco Labs currently has.

Sysco LABS2019-06-11