Sysco LABS "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Sysco LABS Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 31, 2019

4.2
Sysco LABS CEO Mani Kulasooriya (no image)
Mani Kulasooriya
Pros
  • "Work Life balance is excellent as much as you want it to be(in 7 reviews)

• "Sysco has allowed CAKE to be pretty independent which is a good thing(in 5 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Hidden Gem for Engineering in Austin"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Sysco LABS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity Rare opportunity to actually build new products and be backed by a large company. When I started at LABS, I was worried that it would feel like corporate IT, but it is just the opposite. While you get the benefit of job security for working for a name like Sysco the LABS department feels like its own small software company. It’s like working for a start up without the risk. Job The roadmap for... engineering is pretty exciting with all the projects we have coming in the pipeline. Most other places I worked in Austin was just about maintaining pre-existing code bases with all their issues making sure the main product stays afloat while having minimal time for new products. This is not the case here, which means that I have already gotten to learn a lot and grow as an engineer. Also, the mission of changing how food gets on your plate is a pretty fun goal. People Due to the roadmap there has been a lot of growth and new faces. I am happy with the people I get to call my co-workers. Everyone is friendly and I have not dealt with people being arrogant, which is the most annoying part about some of the other engineering teams I have worked on in Austin. In addition, the leadership here has impressed me. I have had several one on one conversations with many of them and I know they cared about what I had to say and listened to any concerns I had. It was a world of difference to what I have experienced in the past. Perks • We just moved to a new office downtown. It is super nice, and we all have fancy new Herman Miller adjustable desks. • Good benefits with healthcare and 401K. I know they are even working on making healthcare better. • Work from home – this is great when you have appointments and just general things in life. It has really helped me when needed and I haven’t worked with people who take advantage of it. • Typical Austin engineering perks like snacks and lunches. One thing that LABS does stand out for is that the person in charge of this for the office really cares and makes sure we have all kinds of options to choose from. • Great work life balance.

Cons

Due to all the exciting initiatives you can expect some changes in how we work. I know this seems to bother some of the other reviewers on glassdoor. However, I don’t see it as a con. People who come to work here should be ready to hit the ground running and pivot when needed while we iron out standards/processes while growing. You can’t innovate without change. The parental leave here is really poor, especially... when you compare it to other places in Austin. In 2019, I am surprised such a large company has this. We have been told this is currently being addressed by leadership and it has been brought up in our town halls, so I feel good about that changing. The PTO (17 days, 2 floating holidays) is also not as good as some of the other tech places in Austin. This was also addressed in one of our town halls, so I am hopeful they are looking into that too.

Advice to Management

You have done a good job putting together a good team. As we grow I really hope they continue to bring in the type of people they have so far.

Sysco LABS2019-10-31

"Unemployment Would Be a Better Option"

Former Employee - Product in Austin, TX

I worked at Sysco LABS full-time for more than a year

Pros

-good work life balance, in that half of your coworkers will be "wfh" on any given day -perfect destination if you love a male-dominated sexist environment

Cons

I can only assume the positive reviews on here come from different divisions (LABS encompasses several different groups across multiple regions who have very little interaction with each other as everyone here works in silos.) I can only speak to the forward-facing part (non-engineering) part of the Austin office. -management plays favorites, will force out anyone (overwhelmingly women) who doesn't fall in line... with their ludicrous projections -management also has no experience building products in this area; if anyone points out that their ideas are unworkable, they get a target on their back -do you like coworkers making snide remarks about others/your looks, skills, sexual orientation, or manner of dress? LABS is the place for you! -When they decide they want to push someone out, they will use vague, gendered language such as "not a team player", "doesn't smile/seem excited" "doesn't make PMs feel good in meetings" rather than anything actionable or measurable. -People disappear suddenly, with no warning, throwing planned objectives into chaos constantly. -HR department is one of the most deceptive, unempathetic, laughably incompetent departments I've ever worked with. -When I inquired as to leadership's plan to help us reach our annual company goals as we were woefully behind, I was told by my manager that the company would lie and change the metric in order to make sure we met them no matter what, essentially confirming a lack of accountability in leadership. Do yourself a favor and do some research on LinkedIn as to how many people have turned over from this place in the last year. Then turn and run for the hills.

Advice to Management

Sysco Corporate needs to stop turning a blind eye to the awful work environment that allows sociopaths to rise to the top.

Sysco LABS2019-09-26
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Great Experience So Far"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sysco LABS full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have autonomy to work on projects and direct functional goals. Work Life balance is excellent as much as you want it to be. The colleagues are all genuinely nice and friendly. This is a much better work environment than my previous experiences.

Cons

The cons which are not comparable to larger organizations are all the benefits and PTO, but with the acquisition by Sysco, hopefully that will eventually get better.

Advice to Management

No complaints except to maintain CAKE's personality.

Sysco LABS2019-06-04

"Appeared great, but not as expected."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cypress, TX

I have been working at Sysco LABS full-time

Pros

Comfortable, Fun work area. Friendly, inviting environment. People are friendly and engaging. Complementary meal supplied weekly. Multiple avenues in communication.

Cons

**Depending on the Department or Manager ...this comment is not intended to apply across the board**. Professionals who are seasoned to adult time management and work life balance; be for-warned, some departments may not be suitable. Be sure to ask fact finding questions during your interview. Micro Managing, unexpected Call Center Environment accompanied by little to no flexibility (again dependent on... manager/department).

Sysco LABS2019-06-17
  6. "Great team but evolving"

Former Employee - Sales Operations in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Sysco LABS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was with this company from the early days when it was called Leapset and before it got acquired by Sysco. I left earlier this year only because it was time for me to do something new. - Great team to work with. Always felt at home. - Management really cared for the team. - The founder CEO was hell bent on maintaining the startup culture. He is no longer there but left a positive mark. - Good work life... balance. - Great overall product. Although really competitive space. - Sysco has allowed CAKE to be pretty independent which is a good thing.

Cons

There is some anxiety among the team as to what is next. The team is big now and most of the original management have left. I still have a lot of friends there and while they are happy they are also concerned.

Advice to Management

Great job so far. But let the team know what you are planning for the future. Overall keep up the good work.

Sysco LABS2018-12-12
  7. "Great Company, Culture & CEO"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Sysco LABS full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great startup culture, with corporate backing (in Sysco Food Services). This produces the casual environment, filled with extremely intelligent, hard-working individuals with the greater sense of security from corporate backing. -Coolest CEO of all time! -Great work/life balance. -Convenient Peninsula location. -Great perks -- fully stocked kitchen and company sponsored lunch.

Cons

I think with all start-ups communication is the biggest con. Although, they are doing great - it seems that cross-departmental communication can continue to improve. And cross-office communication (in the sense that some of the remote offices don't feel the same inclusion as HQ).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! And keep advocating for maintaining this start-up environment!

Sysco LABS2016-11-22

"Hands down - CAKE is an awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Sysco LABS full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Incredible culture (people work really hard but enjoy doing it) - Lots of leeway to brainstorm and execute your ideas - Mani is a visionary and makes smart (and sometimes tough) decisions well - Excellent work/life balance - Technology platform is strong, and is constantly evaluated and iterated on - Well funded - Zero company politics, friendly working environment

Cons

- No maternity or paternity paid leave

Advice to Management

- Continue working on brand awareness

Sysco LABS2015-12-08
  9. "Great company with a great vision"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Sysco LABS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leapset is the first start-up that I have worked for, with that being said, it has been a very exciting adventure to see the company grow so rapidly. - Family atmosphere - Kegorator - Nerf Gun Wars - Opportunities for advancement (I was promoted just after 1 year of employment)

Cons

Leapset is a true full-stack start-up with multiple product lines. Supporting customers with this amount of rapid change can be challenging, but not impossible. Features and products tend to be rushed and therefore can be "buggy" to say the least. - Constant Change - Off hour meetings (Meeting with overseas team that is 12 hours ahead) - Work/life Balance (Start up management can be overwhelming due to lack of... process or policy)

Advice to Management

Continue listening to the feedback from direct reports. Happy employees = Productive employees. Look into doing some company outings, shut down the office and get out!

Sysco LABS2014-10-16
  10. "Sysco Labs"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Sysco LABS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture, Salary and Facilities

Cons

Work life balance and Favourations

Sysco LABS2019-04-13
  11. "Great workplace to work and learn"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Sysco LABS for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, work life balance, friendly and helpful colleagues

Cons

None that i have experienced

Sysco LABS2019-02-19