Syscon Justice Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Mark Derraugh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great work/life balance."

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Syscon Justice Systems full-time

Pros

Easy, flexible, low profile job. The Richmond office is very quiet come 5 o'clock. Nice and only occasional travel to some very fun cities.

Cons

Not great with rewarding employees and the pay/benefits are marginal. The benefits trended down the longer I stayed. Never offered any training. Nice coworkers but the talented ones do not last. The tools/technology is decent but it doesn't offer many opportunities to branch out.

Advice to Management

Take better care of current employees. I felt like the only way to get a raise was to leave the company.

"Great Potential"

Current Employee - Sales in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Syscon Justice Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has been in business for close to 35 years and has a solid install base. New Management has a reasonable view of the future and is putting the necessary pieces in place to achieve realistic goals.

Cons

Company recently came through a necessary restructure and there is still some dust to settle. There is still a lot of processes that need refinement.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, Syscon has the potential to leverage its long successful history to bring new solutions to Jail Management. Continue to build the necessary foundational culture that will usher Syscon through the next 20 years.

"The Same Mistakes over and over"

Former Employee - Employee in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Employee in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I worked at Syscon Justice Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some really good staff (currently and those laid off) who have given years of there lives to build a great product. Unfortunately executive management allowed the existing product to stagnate for 7 years while they tried to build their pipe dream "Workflow".

Cons

Multiple executive staff who knew nothing about the business simply added to bad decisions regarding SDLC. Used tools that no one knew how to use. Refused to bring in expert advice, and to cheap or simply couldn't recruit the talent to support the tech stack. Constantly disregarded those staff members who could help and still choose to hire their friends over those who truly understand the business and have a proven track record.

Advice to Management

For god sake quit hiring your friends. Trust the staff who had success in the past. Be up front with the corporate strategy, if your simply interested in selling Syscon then let your staff know that this is the direction. Provide some real leadership instead of paid holidays overseas and start doing something with your product.

"Not very good"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I worked at Syscon Justice Systems (More than a year)

Pros

Beer on Friday Afternoons, some extra curricular events at lunch, Christmas Party. And some really good employees.

Cons

Just about everything Else. Management spent most of their efforts on a new product. This is understandable however the legacy product was footing most of the bills.

Advice to Management

I think that they have mostly done it by making some major product direction changes and layoffs of the teams in order to refocus the company. CEO change as well.

"Nothing Left"

I have been working at Syscon Justice Systems full-time

Pros

This company had so much potential at one time.

Cons

Through bad product strategy and leadership, they will be lucky to see another year. Since the company was sold by original ownership, management continues to repeat the definition of insanity by hiring people who don't want to understand the business, who won't listen to those who do and/or their friends and then giving these people leadership and executive roles rather than to those with the experience and knowledge . This has marginalized the very few that remain who do know what they are doing. It’s a terrible, terrible shame. Would be fine if it had not been a proven failure repeatedly. Slow learners.

Advice to Management

Probably too late for advice. Also, it won't be taken, so why bother?

"No Future ,Outdated Technology,Laid off 80% workforce"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Syscon Justice Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hour's, Good location, Time pass easy job with no projects in pipeline for the next 3-4 years

Cons

High turnover rate in nearly all departments, poor management,poor CEO with only sales experience ,low compensation ,No career growth
    Selling crap product that no one wanted to buy anymore
    Manager's and Directors was useless and did not know how to manage or motivate a selling team
    Owners do not have a clue what is going on with employees
    Pay was crap
    I hated it there
    I constantly was looking for work while I was there

Advice to Management

Stop making fool of your employees ,they all know your politics . For 2-3 Dev Team ,you have one dev manager and director. What a joke. Stop hiring your friend's FOR SALES AND SERVICES TEAM

"Great people but outdated techology"

Pros

Great people, good work life balance.

Cons

Old technology and small industry.

"Instructional Designer"

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I worked at Syscon Justice Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Syscon has a great work environment. The team ran pretty seamlessly. In my position I had great support from everyone all the time. Great Boss, great co-workers and an interesting product to work on.

Cons

Upper management lost touch with the product, which led to some pitfalls. These were turning around and I would have loved to continue working at Syscon as they worked through these issues.

Advice to Management

Remember the Proect Management 2 out of 3 rule. You can be Fast, Good, and Cheap, but can only pick two.Fast refers to the time required to deliver the product, Good is the quality of the final product, and Cheap refers to the total cost of designing and building the product. This triangle reflects the fact the three properties of a project are interrelated, and it is not possible to optimize all three – one will always suffer. In other words, you have three options:
        Design something quickly and to a high standard, but then it will not be cheap.
        Design something quickly and cheaply, but it will not be of high quality.
        Design something with high quality and cheaply, but it will take a relatively longer time.

"Great place to work now."

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Syscon Justice Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Hands off management approach...employees are encouraged to forge their own path. Its quite empowering.
    - Dropping the big ol project was the best thing for the company. The renewed focus on the legacy product is perfect, as is the plan to modernize it.
    - The new prez is great! He's a realistic person with good vision and attitude. Makes it easy to get behind him.
    - The flexibility is now there. I can work from home if needed. I can leave early if needed. There is a level of trust that I haven't found elsewhere between management and staff which is what allows for the flexibility and as a result, I'm happy to give back.
    -Very supportive with respect to my goals and they are making visible steps to help me succeed.

Cons

Not many. Its in Richmond so traffic can suck...but that happens everywhere.

Advice to Management

Keep on investing and believing in your staff.

"Nice people, outdated tech, mediocre pay"

I worked at Syscon Justice Systems (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part, nice people to work with and a reasonable work life balance of late.
    It's an unusual domain to be in, so the work is different, and some people really like the value add to society.

Cons

Shut down their big new project, with associated layoff, so those left are on legacy stuff.
    Pay trends below the going rate.

Advice to Management

Focusing on planning and execution is wasted without ability, but if pay is mediocre and tech isn't current, ability will stay below average.