System Planning Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Rich Hozik

"WAS a great company"

Current Employee - Multimedia Artist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Multimedia Artist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at System Planning Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family owned, employees stayed forever, decent advances, Employees rewarded for good ideas.

Cons

Recently sold, no future for employees not on government contracts

2. "Unapproachable and Incompetent Management"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Arlington, VA

I worked at System Planning Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They paid well and were accessible by metro, bus or auto.

Cons

SPC had no stomach for expanding their SME business outside of DARPA. In 2011, defense budgets began to suffer the throws of Obama's sequestration. Instead of looking for opportunities outside of DARPA, SPC's incompetent management decided to double-down on their investment. The leased all the floors of their building and established a "state-of-the-art" Conference Center, which was seldom used by SPC, or other companies. SPC threw several lavinsh parties, and then laid-off employees to pay for their folly. The end became clear in 2012, when they began mass layoffs of their remaining employees. They were sold to ECS Federal in early 2016.

Advice to Management

Please, as a favor to mankind, if offered, never accept another management position.

"Area options"

Former Employee - Inventory Control Clerk in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Inventory Control Clerk in Arlington, VA

I worked at System Planning Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Area is very nice, alot of options.

Cons

Companies future not certain, constant possibility of moving.

"Needs to keep up with other defense contractors"

Former Employee - Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at System Planning Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Our team's work with DARPA was very interesting and cutting edge. The location in Arlington was very convenient for Metro access.

Cons

Salaries were not competitive with other companies in the industry. There were way too many layers of management. The company's work environment was sort of sterile and not very communal. It was very concerning when the company was having financial issues, but maybe the new merger has helped with that.

Advice to Management

Offer better mentorship opportunities between junior and more senior employees. Some people claimed to be mentors, but I did not see evidence of it.

"You'll be encouraged to work just hard enough to not get fired."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at System Planning Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible hours, good chance to make contacts at a local government agency

Cons

Very little room for advancement the entire time I was there. In a large recent layoff, good people that were on direct contracts were let go while poor earners sitting on indirect labor were kept around. Constant new hires rather than using available resources lead to constant employee turnover as good technical people refused to sit idle and left for better opportunities.

Very few vacation days, which was surprising considering the principle client was the DoD. One would think that you'd at the very least have the same holidays. Also, medical benefits were sub-par. My wife's insurance package cost less per month to cover the entire family than my out of pocket costs were every other week to cover just myself. They did offer a 401k match to 4%, but even that is what I'd consider the minimum in the field.

Raises were given on a 0 sum basis for the company. Normally I wouldn't mind this style, you eat what you kill, etc. But middle and senior management weren't subject to the pool.

"Don't get sucked in"

I have been working at System Planning Corporation full-time

Pros

The managers do not breathe down your neck, flexable. If flexability is the most important thing, this is a good job for you. Otherwise run for the hills...

Cons

Very low pay
    Managers have their favorites
    Not a lot of advancement

8. "Management Shakeup yields better outlook"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Lexington Park, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Lexington Park, MD

I have been working at System Planning Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My experience is at the SPC Patuxent River office, which is slightly removed from the Beltway. I have been treated with respect by my managers, they've performed competently, and my advancement has not been hindered. SPC Corporate has recently shed some of its poor-performing upper and middle management, with commensurate positive uptick in morale and financial health.

Cons

SPC is a small company. My previous employer had 170,000 employees, SPC has barely 400. There are quirks, there are sometimes advancement delays due to only so many positions to be filled. The flip side of this is more agility, more ability to grow your own work, and significantly less bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Old management: learn from your mistakes. New management: Continue to listen to the employees. You have hired smart people. Let them continue to take the lead on addressing deficiencies and getting back to client focus.

"Incompetent upper management, over incapable middle management who supervise workers via intimidation."

Former Employee - Senior Space Scientist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Space Scientist in Arlington, VA

I worked at System Planning Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Systems Planning Corporation is centrally located in the city of Arlington, Virginia. The technical staff is congenial and knowledgeable.

Cons

SPC does not provide their SETA employees work assignments. The SETA members must find their own work. However, upper management will gladly manage the budget for the SETA, which entitles them to charge to the project. Of course, the SETA budget does not include the cost of two or more vice presidents charging to the project. Some SETA members are placed on suspension (leave without pay) for many varied and unfathomable reasons. Should a qualified SETA team member apply for another position within System Planning Corporation, rest assured that the requirements of the position in question will be changed to exclude the applicant from consideration. Don't ever expect the upper management of System Planning Corporation to provide you with coherent business advice. One vice president (who resembles the "Queen of Hearts" from "Alice Through the Looking Glass"), refuses to bid on any SETA support contract with which she is unfamiliar. It doesn’t matter to her if the SETA team members who work the project are knowledgeable on the subject at hand. This VP has single-handedly screwed the company out of millions of dollars worth of work, which they desperately needed. Yet she regularly pats-herself on the back, in front of the SETA team members, for a job well done. Upper management throws huge parties then, they lay off staff members to pay for their celebration. The senior security officer refuses to do his job. Heaven forbid that anyone should ask him for help. However, should you ask for help, he will inform you that security is your responsibility, and not his. Termination from Systems Planning Corporation came as more of an overwhelming relief, than a regret.

Advice to Management

This advice is for the owner: hire a consulting company to locate and hire competent management.

"OK place to work for. Uncertain about its future and how it plans to deal with reduced DoD expenditure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

Access to DARPA projects is somewhat interesting at time. Proximity to metro and local restaurants is also a nice perk.

Cons

Senior Management is somewhat immature and could use some lessons on how to behave towards others. Looking at the demographics if the employees, they seem to recruit senior and junior people. Very little space for anyone in between.

Advice to Management

You should probably focus on capitalizing on the abilities of all the people who work for you and not pigeon hole them one way or another.

"Incompetent management with unrealistic expectations yields a dysfunctional organization."

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Arlington, VA

Pros

My co-workers were very knowledgeable and capable. The support staff is competent when they're not micromanaged. I found a position with a competitor within my first month at System Planning Corporation.

Cons

The upper management is lost somewhere in the 1970's. System Planning throws big parties, and then lays off employees to pay for them. The second tier managers cannot make a simple decision without first consulting the company president. I started looking for another position the day I started with System Planning Corporation. Middle managers are routinely browbeaten by the company president.

Advice to Management

The upper management should consider earning business degrees, since they have no idea how to operate a successful company.