Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
William Vantine

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No specific upward mobility path (in 5 reviews)

• I've never gotten a clear sense that there's a long-term plan either for career progression or for the company at large (in 4 reviews)

1. "Excellent Leadership. Overall great company."

Current Employee - Associate Policy Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Policy Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small business allows for close relationships with bosses who want to see you succeed.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that I do not like the area.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about putting a woman in charge in order to look politically correct - put whoever is best fit for the job.

2. "Great Place to work"

Former Employee - End User Support in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - End User Support in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc (Less than a year)

Pros

Family oriented company
    Good Pay
    Great benefits
    Some of the most interesting people you will ever meet

Cons

Very conservative culture (but this seems like is is changing)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Honest work with integrity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc (More than 5 years)

Pros

SPA focuses on doing interesting work that will have an impact in the defense sector. The culture prides itself on honesty and integrity, and not on simply providing answers that our clients want to hear. The employees are smart and creative, and they bring a wide variety of experiences to the table. Employees are also provided with a better than average benefits package.

Cons

No cons to speak of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

4. "Great, intelligent employees who really support each other"

Current Employee - Intern in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Intern in Alexandria, VA

Pros

As an intern, you don't expect to do much. However, I was given a project to do immediately that most definitely was not busy work - and my input on the project was valued. Great experience.

Cons

It depends on which branch you are placed in - some branch heads are more strict and intimidating than others. However, that's just the way they are. In reality they just want to see you succeed while also helping out S.P.A.

5. "Great place to start your corporate experience!"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Shows how strategic systems are used to please government customers

Cons

decent amount of down time for interns

6. "My experience at SPA has been overwhelmingly positive."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It would be hard to find another company that values employees the way that SPA does, and shows it in tangible ways -- a generous 401K contribution (regardless of whether you contribute personally), solid health and dental plans, and the flexibility to make your life work.

Cons

The decline in federal budgets has stressed government contractors, including SPA, and caused angst among employees. The political and budget forecast ahead predicts more of the same.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate with employees.

7. "Great First Job"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits. Each employee gets their own office. Automatic 10% 401K contributions. Experienced and professional staff. Flexible work schedules. Contracts involve interesting and exciting work.

Cons

8.5 Hour work days. Upper management provides little to know feedback on the direction the company is taking.

8. "Summer Internship: SPA Will Put You to Work. Amazing Experience!"

Former Intern - Intern in Alexandria, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc as an intern

Pros

- The sky is the limit. Each day can be a true challenge where you learn marketable skills.
    - Not treated as an intern. You will be taken into the fold of the team. Your opinion will matter.
    - You will work alongside experts who have experience at the forefront of the United States' most difficult national security challenges.
    - One of the few paid internships in DC.
    - Senior Management is fully engaged and are likely to attend briefings and be fully spun up on projects.

Cons

- Immense amount of information that must be digested to have a general idea of technical concepts.
    - For those not familiar with military language, jargon will be a barrier. However, this can easily be overcome as everyone is extremely helpful.

Advice to Management

Implement milestones through the term. Encourage cross departmental awareness training for interns to get a general understanding of SPA's many areas of expertise.

9. "Small Company delivering big results."

Current Employee - Military Operations Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Military Operations Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive Salaries
    Great benefits
    Intelligent Co-workers
    Doing interesting important work
    Ethical Leadership
    Great Customer Relationship

Cons

Promotion challenging because of practice of hiring senior military to leadership positions
    Dependent on Federal Government for contracts
    Quickly go part time if Federal Contracts go away

Advice to Management

Phil is a great leader, who really does his best to do right by his employees. How many companies still put on an annual Holiday party and company picnic in this environment. I agree with others when they say he just really needs to keep doing what he's been doing for the past 35 years.

10. "One of the best employers in America"

Current Employee - Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Benefits are second to none, salary meets or exceeds similar employers in DC area. Company is not too large (500 employees), which means you'll get to know everyone from the President to the janitor.

Cons

SPA has many of the same downsides that come with working for any government contractor, but these are mostly out of the company's control. Off-site work environment, government shutdowns and the like cannot be controlled by the company.

Advice to Management

Phil is probably the only person that I've worked for since I left the military that I would trust my life with. SPA is a successful company for a reason, and Phil's management style and ability to hire the right people accounts for almost all of that success.
    Not all management is in line with this. Some do not fully support his employees right to succeed in the company, but this is a small minority. There also seems to be a disconnect in how prior-service military members treat non-priors. Many of these people bring a lot to the table, and it should be a point of the company to foster this respect in the company culture (spoken from a prior-service myself).