T.G.I. Friday's Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,125 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours, unsocialable hours sometimes (in 64 reviews)

• endless apps bring in the worst clientele (in 17 reviews)

1. "Great place to learn the ropes"

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's full-time

Pros

Managers are understanding & go out of their way to help you .

Cons

Better staffing, more training for staff and management .

Advice to Management

The store needs to be updated

2. "Server"

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's part-time

Pros

You can make good money

Cons

The management is childish and fraternize with the employees

Advice to Management

Make better choices and learn how to talk to your employees

3. "Great Time"

Pros

Amazing coworkers. Life long friendships

Cons

Long hours and late nights

4. "Cooking at Fridays"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun people, no rules, good times

Cons

High stress, hot, being burned sucks

Advice to Management

No such thing at places like this

5. "Part time employed"

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's part-time

Pros

Super family friendly and upbeat.

Cons

The hours weren't always ideal.

6. "Waiter"

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's part-time

Pros

Good experience from working there.

Cons

Felt stressed while working due to customers.

7. "Great training program and realistic room for growth makes Fridays and excellent short term stepping stone."

Former Employee - Server in Mansfield, MA
    Former Employee - Server in Mansfield, MA

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Welcome to T.G.I. Friday's,

Where individuals are trusted to do their very best every day regardless of their competence. On the surface, this may seem like recipe for disaster, but Friday's has a secret ingredient to bake the perfect success pie every time. Everyone is given the tools to succeed and trained extensively to use them with perfect form. Once an individual has the epiphany that serving is as simple as following a few steps and smiling, dropping the need to overcomplicate things and get to it, they will be successful with very little micromanagement. Adding to the total amount of tables one can serve at a time only when ready, and taking them back without a lecture or any voiced disappointment keeps servers motivated to maintain tables, but doesn't give a feeling of failure or rip the will to succeed from those who may be struggling o navigate through a rough patch.

The endless metrics and numbers seem complicated (PPA, Table Turn Time, Customer Surveys, Liquor sale percentage, etc) but the reality is simple. Follow the Friday's Style and you watch your stats go up. It becomes clear early on that posting the numbers in real time isn't a reason to discipline employees, but a motivator. I big bulletin board of how hard everyone is working.

I had no idea how great T.G.I. Friday's is until I had my second job serving. I was astonished by the lack of professionalism and tools for success in most other restaurants. I will always regret leaving for the reasons I did and be grateful for the confidence Friday's awarded me, and the skills I was taught.

To conclude, here's a list of what Friday's offers, and what I will take with me always I as grow into a young manager of my own.

-The training program has detailed, easy steps to create a structured interaction with the customer. This helps servers gain confidence and know exactly what they should be doing, and when to do it so they can get the best tip possible. If you follow the service style from the training program you WILL have happy customers.

-The management is endlessly patient. It took me almost a month to learn the menu and be ready to take my own tables, but management kept pushing me to succeed and continued to give me the tools to succeed where others would have let me burn out.

-Continued education into better departments helped many people as I was serving. I saw my peers move from serving to bartending with the same structure and tools that helped me learn to serve. They were not "promoted" until they had proven they were ready, and then they were given the utmost confidence and patience as they moved to their new position seamlessly. I saw hosts become servers, and dishwashers become hosts. Everyone had an opportunity to improve and they were trusted to be successful when it happened.

-Friday's is true to itself. It doesn't have white table cloths or formal hosts. The menu doesn't give gimmicky names and copy cat recipes. It's not uncommon for fast casual chains to try to appeal to the market by appearing higher class or overly family friendly to mask the fact that they're just a name on a long list of nearly identical restaurants that a guest could choose. Conversely, Friday's embraces its normality by playing the role of "corner bar" where guests are greeted by what I called the "Hey how are ya" attitude.

Cons

The restaurant's constant desire to improve was endearing, unfortunately with risk often comes failure. For example, the menu took a complete overhaul with little warning, and that created a gap where servers had been trained so strictly to work with a specific menu that no longer existed.

On the same subject, that constant push for improvement had many of the high performing employees feeling unrewarded. As some individuals put in the effort and surpassed their peers with the motivation of "winning" and shining to the top as performer, it would be seen by management as a reason to push the individuals harder and set a standard for the other employees who may be putting their best into another metric, or struggling to keep up.

Although, I'm sure this varies from location to location, the restaurant I had the pleasure of serving in struggling with a major communication issue. It would not be uncommon for the kitchen to be on an entirely different page than the servers or the bartenders to be lost in a crowd and have food run incorrectly. I do believe management meant well, and that this problem would be solved easily if it was addressed.

Advice to Management

Although I am immensely underqualified to give advice to any company so large, I can give an idea of my observations so you (the reader) can decide of these culture shortcomings are something you are willing to deal with, or if applying for the right position, tackle. As a business owner myself now, in an entirely different industry, here are my thoughts.

-Never has a coupon cutting, freebie grabbing customer been a customer I would want to encourage. Friday's uses many cost-cutting tactics to get people in the door. A great example is the Unlimited Apps program. You are not encouraging customers to come in and have a few drinks to make up for the savings in food. You are encouraging a crowd that drinks water and skips dessert to come in because they want cheap. They rarely return for anything else. Another is the rewards program. It's feels tailored to cheap customers who don't see in value, but instead, see in price. They don't care if the food or service is good, only that it's cheap and they tend to complain more than others, taking up vital resources. Reward programs are a great way to gain customers, but the current system is, in my opinion, implemented poorly.

-Again, I feel that communication could be improved on in all aspects of the business such as policy changes, scheduling, and customer feedback. The employees observed all these things but didn't have an avenue to make or request a change. Giving staff an outlet to voice suggestion and have them be heard and appreciated would improve lots of the problems that exist, but management will never hear about because low-level employees are not encouraged to speak up, living by an attitude best described as "That's just the way it is", despite the overall culture being very forward driven and unafraid of change.

8. "fun place to work"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Houston, TX

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great way to meet new people

Cons

if your to busy you may not be able to stay caught up

Advice to Management

need more teamwork

9. "Not a very good company"

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Killeen, TX
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Killeen, TX

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The customers, the app and the drink special.

Cons

Management is never reliable, favoritism is very high, they don't care about their employees.

Advice to Management

Hire better managers

10. "host"

Former Employee - Host
    Former Employee - Host

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

potentially get paid everyday, get a base pay+tips

Cons

long hours, late closings, and

Showing 1,125 of 1,132 reviews