T.K. Maxx Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 9, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael MacMillan

Pros
  • Good pay fast paste good training development (in 34 reviews)

• Great management, good pay rate, flexible hours (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Team leaders get a payrise in line with inflation while some associates had a payrise of 12% meaning a team leader earns only (in 20 reviews)

• Work life balance hard to maintain (in 9 reviews)

1. "Never"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at T.K. Maxx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people good culture management was great. Great clothes great hours of operation

Cons

No hours no recovery team no support rude regional staff no work school life balance

2. "Avoid, avoid, avoid."

Former Contractor - Sales Associate in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Contractor - Sales Associate in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at T.K. Maxx as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

- Co-workers that *might* make working there a little bearable.

Cons

It speaks volumes if customers are complaining about the work conditions they've noticed you work in and when complaints are 99.5% about your management.

- Lack of support. Management throw you into the deep end with minimal to no training. If you're lucky, you may have co-workers that are able to help you, otherwise you are very much on your own. Be prepared to be antagonised with un-constructive criticism if you make a mistake, no matter how small.
    - Favouritism is rife. Expect very inconsistent, stingy shifts/hours, especially if you are not favoured by management. Sometimes would go on 3 hours for an entire month. Expect last minute changes to your roster, i.e. cuts.
    - Unbelievable neglect for employee wellbeing. Summer days (40 degrees +) being shoved in the back of the store doing stock with no ventilation, rest/sitting down or water.
    - Regional managers shockingly unprofessional and rude
    - Lack of professional growth available
    - No staff incentives
    - Negative 'mean girls' culture among management. Gossiping amongst each other and to other employees ABOUT employees is simply disgusting and unprofessional.
    - Poor treatment. You will most likely not be appreciated for the work you do, and you will never be trusted by management. I have never felt supported, welcomed or comfortable despite working years there.

Advice to Management

Put more time and effort into your staff and their development. Appreciate your staff and the work they do, rather than constantly walking all over them. Gossip is unacceptable and highly unprofessional, especially from regionals. Learn what a good, positive work culture is and foster an environment for this.

3. "Sales associate"

I worked at T.K. Maxx full-time

Pros

Meet different people everyday and different tasks everyday as well.

Cons

Long hours, no extra payment on over time and had to stay behind.

Advice to Management

Look after people. Positive attitude towards to your staff.

"Tk maxx is slave house not a working place avoid"

Current Employee - Ticketing in Newcastle under Lyme, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Ticketing in Newcastle under Lyme, England (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good working routa making booking holidays easy due to plenty days off between shifts good rate of pay

Cons

No respect for staff employer treets people like slaves and is obsessed with really high hourly targets punishment for people struggling reach required oph

Advice to Management

Treat people like part of family and listen to your staff about issues they have don't just ingore associates and treat them like objects

"Ten years with the company"

Current Employee - Leaving In 6 Months in Wakefield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Leaving In 6 Months in Wakefield, England (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay (on the 40 hours contract)

Cons

Too many. Managers treat staff with no respect. Only friends of managers get promoted. You can never book your holidays due to all kinds of silly rules.

7. "Part-time retail assistant"

Pros

Pay wasn't awful for part time work
    Always had something to do
    Discounts
    Rota was put up with enough notice for everyone

Cons

Super super busy
    Staff treat you so badly, even got inappropriate comments made at me by my manager during shift
    Till training was awfully done

Advice to Management

Treat your staff fairly, and don't put them in any uncomfortable situations and hurl nasty comments at them, especially during shift where customers were around.

"Work like a slave with zero thanks"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Customers love it so u meet interesting and generally happy people

Cons

11 hour days are expectation, zero work life balance and no one cares that you have gave your life over to it. Dare mention anything negative and you are 'not displaying company values'
    unrealistic expecations of what can be achieved

Advice to Management

Appreciate the extreme hard work and long hours and stop picking out the things things that are not done as its never possible to do it all with hardly any staff

9. "Do NOT Work Here. Pathetic management. Lack of organisation and victimising employees."

Former Employee - Tattoo Artist
    Former Employee - Tattoo Artist

I worked at T.K. Maxx part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm struggling to even think of one positive to take away from my time with the company. I guess the only one would be the people who work there with the exception of management.

Cons

Lack of organisation. Loss of pay which is still being disputed. Favouritism and discrimination. Worked for the company for over 10 years and was never given the opportunity to progress. Management expect you to drop everything at the last moment in order to provide you with overtime. Anyone with a title higher than you will treat you as if they are better than you and will try their best to get you to do the tasks they've been given to do, whilst they spend their time pretending to work.

Advice to Management

Where to begin? Probably start with organisation. When an associate asks for holiday leave try not to forget about it and then blame said associate for not telling you. Also it would be nice to at some point working with the company for 10 years to be offered a chance to progress where as christmas temps have been offered higher working contracts with less time because of management favouritism. It'd also be great not to feel victimised for not making small talk or bringing a manager coffee in the morning. I was a hard worker for the company but because I didn't want to be involved in petty small talk and wanted to just get on with my work and go home I was treated differently.

"Management were awful"

Former Employee - Shop Assistant
    Former Employee - Shop Assistant

I worked at T.K. Maxx part-time

Pros

First hand experience of how some people are in positions of "power".

Cons

The rota gave you no work/ life balance as it was allover the place. 4 hour shifts were the norm meaning you would spend time travelling to work more days then needed. Hours could be consistently high then be suddenly reduced in off-peak seasons. Management targeted and bullied staff. Was forced to stay up to 15 minutes after clocking out because managers wouldn't open the door; yet they wanted staff to arrive at least 5 minutes early for shifts so they could designate tasks. Management would pretty much refuse to let you go home if scamping (scanning) items was not finished. I raised concern for this as many of the staff were being picked up by their partners as it was late (12am). When I became a student they asked me to reduce my contract (16 hours) as I was no longer FULLY flexible. I refused to do this as I could happily, and needed to work 16 hours. The management then moved me to tasks that I was not asked to do before (tills when I preferred stock as I am more introverted) and set me unrealistic goals to sell items at the till: When these goals were not met they put me through disciplinary proceedings so I quit. Also the staff that they targeted were usually the staff relying on their job for survival. It was a power thing. If you work there join a union!

Advice to Management

You behaved in an awful way. People will remember how you behaved.

"Very Bad"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Biggleswade, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Biggleswade, England (UK)

Pros

Good pay £8ph that's all

Cons

Treat staff awfully. Always telling the quiet ones they are not good enough & never change staff roater for equal opportunities in departments (once your on a department you're stuck there)

Advice to Management

Step up