T.K. Maxx Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 7, 2017

1.0
Michael MacMillan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay fast paste good training development (in 44 reviews)

• Great management, good pay rate, flexible hours (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Team leaders get a payrise in line with inflation while some associates had a payrise of 12% meaning a team leader earns only (in 20 reviews)

• long hours, managers not recognising the hard workers / back bone of the store (in 18 reviews)

1. "Never"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at T.K. Maxx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people good culture management was great. Great clothes great hours of operation

Cons

No hours no recovery team no support rude regional staff no work school life balance

2. "Uninspiring"

I have been working at T.K. Maxx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good rate of pay. One of the highest on a High street.

Cons

Long hours. Progression is very slow. If you work for TKMaxx you have no life

Advice to Management

Respect and honesty to everyone .

"Takes Advantage of Employees"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at T.K. Maxx as a contractor

Pros

None. Even the discount was horrible.

Cons

Over work all employees and turn seasonal work into a contest as to who gets to stay on at the end.

4. "Seriously Awful"

Former Employee - Retail Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Retail Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at T.K. Maxx part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wages were ok compared to pubs for example, there's also a 50% discount card which is helpful if you want to shop there.

Cons

I worked at TK Maxx Charlton for about 2 months and all I can say is stay away from that place! Management is awful, your colleagues will be a bunch of very rude people and you will be lost in the dark trying to figure out what to do. The vibe isn't good at all with loads of people trying to tackle you down if you are doing better than them.

Advice to Management

You need to figure out who is who within the store because after two months I couldn't figure out who should I talk to if I had an issue for example. Also, it is not cool to expect people to come in on their days off with a two-hour notice.

"Worst place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at T.K. Maxx part-time

Pros

Good pay, decent associates (roughly all around the same age - students)

Cons

Too many managers, no training given, expected to know everything within a short period of time, have to ask every single customer for feedback on service - if you don't, there's a strong chance you'll be fired, the managers treat their employees like crap and only care about the stores reputation, managers bully and victimise new associates, and the list goes on...

Advice to Management

Have better attitudes and treat everyone equally

"Hideous Company"

I have been working at T.K. Maxx part-time

Pros

• Break Time.
    • Finishing your shift.

Cons

• Miserable company to work for.
    • Management show little interest in their staff - (my store anyway).
    • So defiant in making sure that the task you're completing at the present time, isn't as important as any other task.
    • Lack in the communication department, so things take to long tobget down.
    • Never the right amount of staff in, especially on the busiest days, so you're always expected, to put your life on hold.

Advice to Management

TAKE BETTER CARE & INTEREST IN YOUR ASSOCIATES.

7. "Not friendly place to work, good only if you look for an experience in retail"

Former Employee - Cash Office Associate in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I worked at T.K. Maxx part-time

Pros

Ok people to work with, sometimes nice thinks for great price, place to gain experience, smart clothes to wear at work.

Cons

Well... worked for tk maxx for two years, if you are mid age and want to progress then forget. If you have a brain and work hard then you will get shifts nobody wants, it's called strength apparently! No fair share of weekends or late shifts despite being fully flex with no restrictions. They will make you welcome at first but it will not last long believe me. Never again!!

Advice to Management

Look after your people, be honest, leave office to interact with your staff, not just at morning briefs. It would be a good place to work if managemers change they approach... only reason l left!

"It is frustrating working for a company that does not recognise your efforts at work."

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I honestly don't have any pros apart from the pay. They do not have a good quality about them at all, especially the management at my store

Cons

Career progression is poor as they do not acknowledge workers that represent them well to customers. I have had so many 'wows' and been promised TL roles. They instead give false promises to make you work harder so that their job is easier, whilst they are on their personal mobile phones all day on the shop floor, talking to their friends.

Advice to Management

I and other colleagues have been working there for a long time, we have gone beyond and above for the company. We have a thirst to be more than sales assistants but we are not acknowledged and instead newbies are just because they're fresh. Manager told me that it's not how much you know about the departments but instead how quickly you can complete the documents they give you to complete to progress which is disgusting. Poor company to work for. They have even asked us to compete with the new workers knowing that we possess more knowledge on the way things work.

9. "Month of Hell"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Cross, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Cross, England (UK)

I worked at T.K. Maxx full-time

Pros

This is not a place I would recommend a person to work, I would actually give zero stars if possible but am not

Cons

Everything is wrong with this company, where to start the unfriendly and fake staff or the fact your constantly being worked as a slave

Advice to Management

Employ management who will actually look after the store not just follow their own rules and make you follow other rules.

10. "Good"

Pros

Fun staff, good pay for students and decent contracts for students

Cons

poor management, you will be worked like a dog and not see any appreciation.

Advice to Management

Appreciate staff, dont take the work that they do in vain.