T-Mobile Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All Cities

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "The "Un-carrier" that's unorganized and unrealistic"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Bellevue, WA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at T-Mobile as a contractor

Pros

The company is making am effort to be market disruptive and do something original in saturated market.

Cons

No onboarding, no clear direction, no room to scale at HQ, it is by far the most unorganized, ill planned company I have ever been exposed to. They have some great ideas for where they want to go but I'm not sure how you execute with little to no processes in play. The onboarding process is a complete nightmare taking up to several weeks to have the basic hardware and permissions to be successful.

Advice to Management

Focus on the ability to strategize/forecast/plan

2. "Financial specialty care"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Advisor in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Advisor in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some friendly supervisors, simple skills are required.

Cons

Too stressful in dealing with people that through no fault of their own are negatively impacted by policies and proceedures. Lying too many times about what can and can't be done when the processing systems fail to notify customers of account issues. People don't even get held accountable for giving customers false information, just to get them off the phone. I can't work in such a dishonest and disrespectful place. What's worse is that if you do voice a concern you are either ignored or dismissed!

Advice to Management

Teach your teams from the lowest receptionist to the top manager on how to properly notify customers of their issues and do more than just send a letter in the mail to whatever address is on file. At least verify that their information is correct for future service needs. I cant tell you how many times someone has called the center when they are being called by a collection agency due to the account being closed with no communication from T-mobile. Then instead of helping them, they just get sent to different reps and superivisors with different information. I know for a fact that there are more ways to contact customers other than just sending a notice in the mail. The reason T-Mobile isn't even competition for other service providers is that customers don't matter. I don't even use T-Mobile because they treat me better at Verizon. I have yet to have a negative conversation or issue with them. If you want to know more about what experiences I've had to deal with you can contact me directly.

3. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of freedom, Its pretty much like running your own business. T-Mobile is improving as a company and its a great position to take to branch out internally from under their retail umbrella and grow your career.

Cons

Extremely Outdated Sales Model.
    You will spend more time driving and prospecting for appointments, then actually selling. Meetings with customers are few and far between. You must do everything yourself, little to no support to get things done or make your life more efficient.

Zero Work/Life balance. You will be working 12-15 hour days your first 6 months in order to build up a funnel that is going to get you to goal consistently, and even then, it will never be enough.

Was advised to "work weekends" and attend flea markets, set up booths outside of grocery stores in order to hit sales targets.

High-volume cold calling, 99% of this position will be you hearing the word "NO" and being avoided, ignored and stressed.

Advice to Management

As the sales world continues to improve, leadership needs to come up with a new way of generating sales leads and prospects. The old school method of heavy cold calling and direct sales where the employee is doing literally everything, is not going to be a good model moving forward.

4. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at T-Mobile full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

money can be good. hours can be flexible, depending on the manger. PTO is a great benefit

Cons

hirer ups allow themselves to change commission at any time, money can be inconsistent.

always working, received so many calls/texts on my day off, even after managers were told this was illegal to get employees to work on their time-off.

sexually harassed a lot by customers, but it was encouraged I let them if it meant I "got a sale"

"I quit and I learned to smile again..."

Former Employee - Resource Planner in Mission, TX
    Former Employee - Resource Planner in Mission, TX

I worked at T-Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was great... but money isn't a cure for happiness.

Cons

There was a time when I was happy working there. In late 2016, they restructured the company to 'change the face of customer service' and this was the worst thing they could do .Mixing sales and customer service is a cocktail for stress, anxiety and depression. I wasn't the only one going through it, but I'm sure I was one of the few who did something about it. You take a beating as it is trying to fix customer issues and then they want you to sell to markets where more than half of the customers can't pay their bill. I couldn't sell something I didn't believe in. I was there to help my customers. Their outrageous expectations to sell made it impossible to value what I brought to the table. I was promised credit for hard work and I was lied to. It came to a point where I was in tears even before my shift started. My doctor recommended I quit and taking his advice was the best thing I could do. One day I walked out and never looked back.

Advice to Management

Take a course or two on business ethics.

"going down"

Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at T-Mobile full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Nice employees at the lower level
    Nice cars for the C level
    good with following Verizon
    Nice facility

Cons

Weak management
    Shady behavior and attics issues
    Need to improve communication
    No transparency

Advice to Management

Stop with the brotherhood and start to recrute real leadership.

"One of the ablsolute worst experiences of my life."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in American Canyon, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in American Canyon, CA

I worked at T-Mobile (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was reasonable by the minimum

Cons

No since of professionalism. The managers are all R E A L L Y young with little to non experience problem solving sucks. They make it seem like they really care about the costumers and employees but they don't. They care about making there jobs easier and sales.

Advice to Management

Pay attention in trainings and try and dig deeper when it comes to problem solving

"Service Desk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay for the area. Good insurance including healthcare, vision and dental. Depending on your position, you are offered a generous service discount.

Cons

This is by far the most disappointing and misleading position in my working years. The job posting itself itself is misleading - when I was applying to this job, I did not realize that it is a call center position - in fact, they discourage the use of the term "call center" in this department, however, that's exactly what it is. If you accept the position of IT Service Desk with T-Mobile, 100% of your time will be devoted to working on the phone.

That said, most of the phone calls you receive will be from retail employees who are experiencing issues completing a transaction within (very poorly supported) point of sale system. After being transferred to various Customer Care extensions, they are generally referred to the Service Desk - only to be told that (due to inability to influence or assist with customer account information in ANY WAY), they will be very upset to find that you will only be able to file a ticket for them. We then file tickets to inept, understaffed and unresponsive application support teams (which are almost completely offshore) with an SLA of 3-5 business days. Most of the tickets you file will eventually be closed out after being inactive for a month or more, with no response to assist customer or otherwise. Calls received that are non-retail are generally people with hardware, software or web-based applications that are not working properly - however - you will not be able to assist them either as the training provided for this position is minimal. Your role will NOT be to provide technical assistance, but to accept as many calls as humanly possible and deflect inquiry about immediate assistance. Realistically, after your initial training period you will be provided little to no training moving forward. When new products are released, changes or made or a process is implemented - you will be lucky to receive an email stating the change. You are then expected to review the knowledge articles that they have posted during your calls and figure it out as you go. There is no training time or effort involved from your management. Most of the information provided will come from your callers as they have an issue for a service or product that you've never heard of, which is frustrating for both parties.

Due to the unbelievable turnover rate of this department, we are constantly understaffed. Our incoming call queue is almost completely unmanageable due to being chronically short handed - which means that you will experience back to back calls for the entirety of your shift without any reprieve besides your scheduled breaks. Regardless of the issue, you are expected to keep your call under 10 minutes or you will be pestered by lead specialists or room runners due to pressures from management to improve this departments dramatically poor call response and resolution times - even if you you have to ask your caller 20 questions for the ticket you are filling out - even if you are SURE you can resolve this issue for the customer. Additionally - you are expected to fulfill a quota of resolving or routing offline tickets during your shift, regardless if every single minute of your scheduled shift is taken up by accepting incoming phone calls. If you do not satisfy your offline ticket quota you will face disciplinary action from your manager.

Due to being chronically short staffed, I should add, you will only be allowed a 30 minute lunch break (regardless of the amount of scheduled hours you are working, which are 8 hours or 10 hours), and will be FULLY EXPECTED to contribute to "mandatory overtime". This policy has been in effect for 17 months, possibly more. You will be EXPECTED to contribute 6-8 hours of overtime. If you do not, you should be prepared to explain yourself. For this department, above and beyond is a requirement. There are no thank yous or pats on the back - especially since your manager will be almost completely invisible.

To be honest, the management is probably the worst part of this job. In my career, I have never felt as undervalued, disposable and forgotten. I have worked in this position for 2 years and I can count on one hand how many times I've had a face to face conversation with not only my reporting manager, but the 3 other Service Desk management. I do not even know how to pronounce my manager's last name. If you attempt to engage them in conversation face to face, send them an email or message them via the instant messaging service, most of the time you will be deflected, put off or (most often) completely ignored. 2/4 of these managers are well known to be direct cause of high turnover rate, as they are blatantly rude and aggressively without compassion. I will stress again, I have never experienced turnover as in this department and I would attribute the majority of this issue to lack of leadership. If you have questions or concerns, do not expect your manager to address them or to help you. The only correspondence I receive from management are regarding KPI data (call times, call resolution and usage of the online knowledge management system). 1/4 managers currently employed at the Service Desk is actually a caring, compassionate person who will actively listen to your issues.

The opportunities for advancement in this position are non-existent. If you are a high performing, competent employee, you can expect to be completely overlooked and stuck in your position. Since they are unable to establish a strong base of workers, your contribution to this departments good numbers will also be your undoing.

On the whole, I am sorely disappointed to work at T-Mobile. I am a hard-working, committed and competent employee. During the few times that I have had a face to face conversation with my manager, I have been told that I am one of the best employees on my team. I was really hoping to build a career with this company, but after years pass and thousands of calls taken, I am effectively defeated. I experience daily panic, anxiety and job related stress. I do not experience any job satisfaction from my position, and any hope that I have had to move up or into a position has been stomped on by unrealistic corporate expectations, inattentive/avoidant management and a turnover rate that you would not believe.

I joined T-Mobile thinking that it would be a different experience as they push diversity, inclusion and a progressive workspace in their external image. You will be disappointed to find that this corporate structure is no different than any other. Nepotism rules any promotions that become available regardless of technical skill or commitment to your position - and statistically, if you do make it past training for this position, you will be stuck on the phone taking calls in this environment until you quit of frustration.

Advice to Management

My experience of management (both senior and low level) has been extremely disappointing. I would suggest that a close look be taken into the true operational nature of this department, why the performance indicators for Service Desk are so low, and what is driving the unprecedented turnover rate. Stop avoiding your employees. Learn to have a modicum of compassion, and try to realize that your employees are human beings with needs, wants, and problems. No matter how many people you train, no matter what systems you try to implement to prevent incidents from occurring you will meet nothing but failure. Instead of threatening with punishment, try to encourage your employees to succeed. To feel the inclusion that T-Mobile as a company tries to incorporate.

"Sweat shop. Stay away!"

Current Contractor - Contractor in Bellevue, WA
    Current Contractor - Contractor in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at T-Mobile as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Latest technologies
    Sincere intentions to make progress
    Good marketing to get customer traffic.

Cons

No work life balance. Vendor contractors expected to work overtime without pay.
    Reactive work environment.
    Horrible work conditions - A high number of contractors sit in big halls, which becomes extremely noisy and produces high temperature with body heat. Meetings take place in hallways due to lack of conference rooms.

Advice to Management

Review how work conditions of vendor contractors. They are being asked to work late nights and over weekends without pay just to meet deadlines.
    Poor planning and execution leading to inordinate and clumsy deployments every week.

"Extremely unprofessional management..."

Former Employee - Retail Support Associate in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Retail Support Associate in Wichita, KS

I worked at T-Mobile full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing about the company is good, they are marketing-driven, not customer-driven.

Cons

You are just a number, and management is toxic, uneducated, unprofessional, and abusive.

Advice to Management

Trainer and team management was just terrible. I worked at a call center. Training classes were full of immature people who made crude jokes and started bullying this one young lady, who was a little slower at getting the material than the rest of us. She was nice, well-dressed (better than the rest of us), and she was very professional, eager to learn, and really wanted to be there. The trainer was soooooo completely lazy and just showed slides, was annoyingly cryptic about the material so we really couldn't know what to study on our own time to help us in class, and what's worse, he often made extremely inappropriate comments about this young lady, who was trying so hard to make it. This guy isn't even the reason I'm writing this, there is more and it gets worse, but this trainer was bad enough to warrant this review. He made comments like, "Some of us [looks at young lady dramatically in front of everyone in class] obviously had a realllllllly good interview." Then one time she asked a legitimate question, and he was over it and said, "Are you just confused or did you hit your head?" Unfortunately, other students started joining in and making little comments like one person who was partnered with this lady said out loud, "[Loud sigh] God, I need a new partner." This poor woman was coming in earlier and leaving later trying. When we got to graduation, they gave us all certificates that had "Best [Something]" Awards, and this young lady got "Slowest Learner" as a joke and then it was "Best Shoes." Best Shoes. REALLY?! We all got self-esteem boosters, and there were plenty of nice things that could have been chosen that would have been more productive. CHILDISH. This was mild, compared to what I'm going to share with you next, but it is a toxic pattern that runs deep within the company environment...

So, we all finished training, got on a team, and right away, the Coach allowed for another woman to be blatantly bullied in front of my team EVERY DAY, by his second-in-command. It was incredible, this woman was treated horribly, yelled at and humiliated on a daily basis. This Team "Leader" had it out for this poor woman, she was dressed very nicely, was on time, and never stood up for herself in our group setting. Our "boss" would throw a tantrum and was very unprofessional over the dumbest things, but it was never towards anyone else, it was ALWAYS towards this woman. Again, bullying started and a group of girls, not women, started in on her saying very cruel things. I happened to be near this group of girls, and they were talking about how she smelled bad or something. I sat near her and this was the most put together woman on the team. She was always dressed above and beyond the dress code with nice hair, makeup, perfume, the works, she was very pretty, she was very well-spoken and educated, very kind, and I think these girls hated that, they never dressed nicely, didn't graduate high school, and had the vocabulary of a middle schooler, at best. Jealousy. But the girls weren't the problem, our Coach allowed verbal and psychological abuse towards this woman to continue by his second-in-command, they created a very stressful and hostile environment towards her, EVERY SINGLE DAY, she was being yelled at like she was two years old, she was being humiliated in front of the team, and she was always singled out. I went to management, I didn't want to see that abuse every day, even though I was not the one being subjected to it. I will tell you this: This abused woman was going to be a very smart, bright asset that this company would've been proud of in a few years. She was always one of the best when it came to how often people called back, but the focus was call time [which went down eventually]. The trashy girls, and inept and grossly unprofessional management fostered a TOXIC environment that wasn't a team and felt like a stupid, bad high school drama. I've never seen anything like it, even when I actually was in high school. I got my my old job back. I was completely DISGUSTED with this company. This was a pattern, not an abnormality...

Showing 320 of 6,155 reviews