T-Mobile Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends

1. "General Manager"

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at T-Mobile full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

very relax dress code and good comision structure

Cons

favoritism to move up / good for regular employees but a struggle for managers and upers management to much for what they pay and you must have no life

Advice to Management

balance your life and dont get the deep in to the culture

"Motivation through intimidation"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Snoqualmie, WA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Snoqualmie, WA

I worked at T-Mobile full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Generally good pay, good experience with up to date technology. Great people to work with.

Cons

My first 10 yrs with the company were good, great people to work with. After extra layers of mgmt added, goals that can't be met and never seeing another bonus and added stress the job lost a lot of its luster. Not all departments were this way so there is hope.

Advice to Management

There are better ways to get the most from your employees without using threats and intimidation.

3. "Stepping Stone"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at T-Mobile full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible
    Good Time off
    Good bonus
    Leveraged modern tech stacks

Cons

Base pay below technology industry in Seattle. Leaving will probably give most people a large jump in total compensation
    Non-technical management in leadership positions in Engineering
    Push for new hires to be H1B (Indian)
    Low performers are kept around forever

Advice to Management

Some of your best engineers are leaving because of salary. High performers are paid the same as lower ones. A good place to start your career, but once launched it is better to jump.

5. "Great culture, poor management"

Current Employee - Content Strategist in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Content Strategist in Allentown, PA

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture, good benefits, cool company

Cons

Awful management, low budgets, poor organization

Advice to Management

Cast vision. Develop strategies. Execute on tactics. Don't make mountains out of mole hills.

"Senior Segment Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Segment Marketing Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Segment Marketing Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bonus targets are above average for the Seattle area.

Cons

Two months into being there I realized that it was a terrible place to be and I made a mistake.

1 - Top down leadership. For people coming from MSFT it tends to be frustrating because you don't get to own strategy or any much if any decision making. They tell you what to do and generally it all aligns to some uber promotion or offer they want to put into the market. The whole demand strategy is based upon offers and promotions and it leaves very little room for any long-term strategy. They have a hard time thinking long term.
    2 - No strategy. The strategy is a race to the bottom (you can see that now Verizon is offering Unlimited for nearly the same cost and w/ TMO's inferior coverage/network, the value prop isn't there anymore.) I thought their "un-carrier" moves were disruptive, and they were, but now they are on like, "un-carrier 17" and no one cares anymore. People don't have attention spans for that.
    3 - Generally speaking, the caliber of talent is significantly lower than what I was used to at MSFT. For that reason, I thought I would be able to be a big fish in a small pond. Rather, I ended up frustrated because they don't care what I have to say or the value I can add in areas where I was an expert.
    4 - It's a highly sexist, boy's club culture. The CMO has 6 direct reports, none of them being female. I find that to be disappointing at best, and unacceptable at worst. With high representation of women in marketing I'm trying to understand how they couldn't find one woman SVP.
    5 - Tenure at TMO is more important than experience. You have to be there for many years to move into leadership roles unless you get hired into one, in which case, you likely have an incompetent leader.
    6 - Leaders there do not care about being strong leaders. The company doesn't invest or support team building; generally it's not a priority. I have a huge problem with this as it goes directly against my values. It's just not their thing. It goes like this -- John Legere and the execs make a decision based upon some gimmicky, emotional idea, not based in data/logic, then the whole company mobilizes around it, but the scope changes every day and it turns into firedrill after firedrill. To give you an example, they have meetings where Mike Sievert the COO, who also acts like the CMO but technically is not, reviews EVERY piece of creative for a campaign -- it's called a "Showback." Meaning, not just ABL, but BTL. It's ridiculous, wasteful and makes the culture unnecessarily stressful. It's "hurry up and wait" all the time. So there's a ton of throw away work. They work very inefficiently. So we have the COO reviewing the email campaign or nurture campaign creative and they have to sign off on what we do. Then we have unrealistic timeframes that goes back to the agency. You can't get to the strategic work because all hands are on deck with offers and promotions at all times.
    7 - The benefits aren't great.
    8 - The bonuses are great. But there's a price to pay with the above.
    9 - It's really hard to get conference rooms, parking (employees have to park offsite if they get there too late because there's no enough spots for everyone), and IT is TERRIBLE. I mean, really, really bad, like when I first got there in Sept 2015, they were using Office Communicator 2007 still. Just getting a basic SharePoint set up for agency access took 3 months any more phone calls and emails to incompetent people that don't care.

Advice to Management

Hurry up and sell the company so more competent leaders of the acquiring company can run the show.

7. "DEAD END for IT and customer-focused professionals!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Augusta, GA

I worked at T-Mobile (More than a year)

Pros

First, the good:

* Core values and company culture are great
    * Company is stable and likely won't be going anywhere
    * Small business/startup feel with big business revenue
    * Fun, progressive work environment
    * Benefits and perks make up for low pay
    * Training program is very good
    * Great second or third company to work for

At first glance, T-Mobile is a great place to work but, from my experience, everyone was pretty bitter, stressed-out, and worried about losing their jobs. The turnover was very high, especially on the call center and tech side. We'll get to that.

You'll love T-Mobile if you're the type of person that likes lots of direction and prefers not to think for yourself. The work is extremely repetitive and mundane. It's all about sales and efficiency. If that sounds great to you, then definitely work at T-Mobile.

The interview process is thorough, which might give you an opportunity to see if it's the right fit for you. Be warned: the impressions you get during the interview process likely won't align with what it's actually like working there. If you're fortunate to get hired directly into a management/salaried position, you'll actually be able to enjoy the little things: pool tables, air hockey, video games, nap rooms, etc.

The benefits and perks are very nice, overall. There's also performance incentives which, again, are sales-driven.

I will say this: their training is superb. You get one to three months of training, depending on your role, including shadowing others in similar departments/teams. The skills you develop there are transferable to just about any field. In fact, this is a great place for young people who are just getting started in their careers.

Cons

* Limited growth opportunities
    * Repetitive work
    * Sales quotas
    * Poor leadership
    * Very high turnover
    * Pay not commensurate with expectations
    * Poor work hours
    * Independent thought is penalized
    * Terrible company for experienced/skilled professionals

On the customer service and sales side of T-Mobile, it's all about the bottom line. Sure, that's what business is about.. But they don't care if your customers love you, they only care if the balance sheets are in the black and you get customers in-and-out fast. For a company that claims to have world-class customer service, it's actually very poor.

In my experience, customers call about the same issue three or more times until they get someone who knows what they're talking about and will actually take the time to help them. Sadly, the ones who take the time to resolve issues with irate customers get dinged on performance scores. I can tell you I had customers ask for my supervisor on several occasions to say what an amazing job I did (not complain, as one would expect) but our team leader dismissed it because I wasn't getting customers off the phone fast enough.

In short, everyone is focused on passing the buck so that their metrics are not impacted. It's a terrible business model. The people who trick customers into buying stuff are valued more than the ones who build loyalty and actually fix things. Go figure!

What's more is that it doesn't matter if you graduate at the top of your training class: you're stuck with whatever schedule and supervisor they decide to give you. This leaves everything to chance and disincentives putting in any real effort. In fact, the drones and zombies get more recognition.

If you're particularly smart, compassionate, and tech-savvy, look elsewhere. It's worth noting that their knowledge management system actually becomes a hindrance when most of the information is incorrect and the processes slow you down. Again, if you are a great troubleshooter and can think for yourself, you'll find yourself hating the work here because they value malleable peons over experienced personnel. Truly, this is an ideal place for someone who...

* Really loves the call center environment
    * Hasn't had much work experience
    * Prefers heavy supervision/direction over independent work

I must stress: this is a DEAD END JOB unless you really can see yourself working in a call center long-term and don't mind waiting 5-10 years before a significant promotion takes place. It takes a very specific type of personality. Don't expect any promotions as the management tends to stick around (it's a cake job with decent pay). The only way to make a nice income here is to aggressively sell-sell-sell, which usually means deceiving customers in a "pleasant" way.

Some world-class service!

Advice to Management

Decide whether RAE (Restate Assure Empathize) and company values are truly what you measure quality by. If you truly care about the customers, then satisfaction should count more than sales. Be clear in your expectations so people can make an informed decision before joining your team. This is easily the worst place I've ever worked at, mostly because management is more concerned with protecting their jobs and getting their bonuses than empowering their team members. Management needs refreshing, which is a shame because I met John Legere and he is a great guy.

T-Mobile Response

May 22, 2017 – T-Mobile Careers Team

Thank you for sharing your experience with us—we'll be sharing this feedback with the Augusta leadership team. Best of luck in your future endeavors. --T-Mobile Careers Team

8. ".net Developer"

Current Contractor - .NET Developer in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Contractor - .NET Developer in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at T-Mobile as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Manager is a kind person and gives opportunity

Cons

Team lead is not very kind and very stressful

9. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Richmond, VA

I worked at T-Mobile full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Great Benefits
    *A forwarding thinking CEO who is constantly thinking outside the box.
    *75% off your monthly cell phone bill but you're still expected to pay full price for equipment. This seems nice until you leave the company then you're screwed b/c you're stuck with paying off the monthly equipment cost if you want to cancel.

Cons

*Very little training which makes your job almost impossible to do
    *No support from management
    *Local management out of D.C. was extremely shady in how they wanted you to sell things.
    *They have these unrealistic weekly meeting goals that you load into SalesForce but everyone fudges the numbers to make it seem like an employee is attending x amount of meetings per week when actually it's actually much less than reported. Sad part is, this is how I was trained to do it.

Advice to Management

My advice is for upper management in Bellevue, WA. Go closely monitor your regional management staff out of D.C. They fudge numbers from the sales staff up. You're taught from day one these shady techniques. I was never comfortable from the start and eventually left on my own terms b/c of it.

10. "RAM"

Current Employee - Retail Associate Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Retail Associate Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Closed on most major holidays

Cons

Management act like the mean girls in high school...its all about who you know

Advice to Management

Get it together and have everyone on the same page.....

11. "Sure it Sounds Good..."

Former Employee - Account Care Expert in Nash, TN
    Former Employee - Account Care Expert in Nash, TN

I worked at T-Mobile full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of benefits, decent pay,

Cons

Terrible 'leaders', schedule changes every 6 months, hard 'mental-labor' job, extremely stressful, bonus structure continuously decreasing

Advice to Management

Stop piling on responsibilities. I seriously doubt a senior leader in most call centers could even meet expectations, much less exceed them.

Showing 560 of 5,757 reviews