T-Mobile Senior Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All Cities Senior Manager

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Cons

1. "A great place to create your career"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Indirect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Indirect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time

Pros

A growing company with plenty of opportunity. Generous PTO and strong senior leadership. Coming from a flawed wireless model it's a breath of fresh air.

Cons

It's a fast paced environment and always changing. Not necessarily a con however you must be adaptive in order to succeed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! The un carrier movement has been revolutionary and industry changing.

2. "Sr. Program Manager enjoying Technology"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-People on our team genuinely care
    -Mentors are willing to support those who are committed
    -work is interesting and they seem open to ideas
    -lots of upward mobility for those who are committed and perform
    -good health benefits and compensation
    -decent culture
    -I have found this company to be a good worklife balance never working over 45 hours a week
    -Job seems stable, despite re-orgs and merger talks

Cons

-caliber of people here isn't up to scratch with other big players, but there are still some really smart people here
    -politics are pretty heavy at times, and organizations tend not to work together as well as they should, but it depends on the group. Technology specifically is pretty diverse and it's effectiveness, and there's plenty that swept under the rug. I don't see this as vastly different than other companies in the area, but one has to be OK with ambiguity and trying to boil the ocean at times
    -leadership varies depending on group, and middle-management often struggles, but I'm thankful for a good manager and senior leadership
    -parking in Bellevue location is very tough
    -General perks are less than other surrounding Seattle companies
    -compensation is slightly less than overall market, but I have found good compensation having come from consulting

Advice to Management

Keep giving opportunities for those two have performed and shown commitment on the team, and don't forget the fundamentals of leading people and building healthy teams

3. "great culture and compensation structure"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analysis Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analysis Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time

Pros

great working culture. People focus on getting things done instead of politics. Super collaborative. Great compensation structure.

Cons

Telecom is a zero sum game - no new business model or customer retention strategy except playing with prices

5. "Senior Segment Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Segment Marketing Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Segment Marketing Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bonus targets are above average for the Seattle area.

Cons

Two months into being there I realized that it was a terrible place to be and I made a mistake.

1 - Top down leadership. For people coming from MSFT it tends to be frustrating because you don't get to own strategy or any much if any decision making. They tell you what to do and generally it all aligns to some uber promotion or offer they want to put into the market. The whole demand strategy is based upon offers and promotions and it leaves very little room for any long-term strategy. They have a hard time thinking long term.
    2 - No strategy. The strategy is a race to the bottom (you can see that now Verizon is offering Unlimited for nearly the same cost and w/ TMO's inferior coverage/network, the value prop isn't there anymore.) I thought their "un-carrier" moves were disruptive, and they were, but now they are on like, "un-carrier 17" and no one cares anymore. People don't have attention spans for that.
    3 - Generally speaking, the caliber of talent is significantly lower than what I was used to at MSFT. For that reason, I thought I would be able to be a big fish in a small pond. Rather, I ended up frustrated because they don't care what I have to say or the value I can add in areas where I was an expert.
    4 - It's a highly sexist, boy's club culture. The CMO has 6 direct reports, none of them being female. I find that to be disappointing at best, and unacceptable at worst. With high representation of women in marketing I'm trying to understand how they couldn't find one woman SVP.
    5 - Tenure at TMO is more important than experience. You have to be there for many years to move into leadership roles unless you get hired into one, in which case, you likely have an incompetent leader.
    6 - Leaders there do not care about being strong leaders. The company doesn't invest or support team building; generally it's not a priority. I have a huge problem with this as it goes directly against my values. It's just not their thing. It goes like this -- John Legere and the execs make a decision based upon some gimmicky, emotional idea, not based in data/logic, then the whole company mobilizes around it, but the scope changes every day and it turns into firedrill after firedrill. To give you an example, they have meetings where Mike Sievert the COO, who also acts like the CMO but technically is not, reviews EVERY piece of creative for a campaign -- it's called a "Showback." Meaning, not just ABL, but BTL. It's ridiculous, wasteful and makes the culture unnecessarily stressful. It's "hurry up and wait" all the time. So there's a ton of throw away work. They work very inefficiently. So we have the COO reviewing the email campaign or nurture campaign creative and they have to sign off on what we do. Then we have unrealistic timeframes that goes back to the agency. You can't get to the strategic work because all hands are on deck with offers and promotions at all times.
    7 - The benefits aren't great.
    8 - The bonuses are great. But there's a price to pay with the above.
    9 - It's really hard to get conference rooms, parking (employees have to park offsite if they get there too late because there's no enough spots for everyone), and IT is TERRIBLE. I mean, really, really bad, like when I first got there in Sept 2015, they were using Office Communicator 2007 still. Just getting a basic SharePoint set up for agency access took 3 months any more phone calls and emails to incompetent people that don't care.

Advice to Management

Hurry up and sell the company so more competent leaders of the acquiring company can run the show.

6. "Sr. Manager Indirect Procurement"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, talented people, flexibility

Cons

volume and lack of resources

Advice to Management

align business processes with uncarrier strategy

7. "Sr Segment Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company, aggressive vision, strong management.

Cons

Constant reorgs, continual cost cutting in business affecting benefits and work environment. Cube farm.

8. "Good Company Overall"

Current Employee - Senior Vendor Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Vendor Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive benefits, bonus and stock options.

Cons

Work/life balance is sometimes a challenge. Some groups have too many politics to succeed.

Advice to Management

Help your employees grow. Invest in the tools they need to succeed in their job.

T-Mobile Response

Apr 3, 2017 – T-Mobile Careers Team

Thanks for your dedication to The Un-carrier. 10 years is a huge milestone! We encourage you to SYNC up with your manager and discuss your growth and development opportunities with them as openly and ... More

9. "Sr. Bus Dev Mgr"

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at T-Mobile (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun Spirit of the Brand

Cons

Fun spirit not trickled down to department or management. Company not positioned to sell Enterprise Accounts

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites. All employees have something to add and should be valued

10. "Challenging Environment Dependent on Management"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at T-Mobile full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

TMO has no problem breaking from tradition even before present leadership was in place. Terrific compensation package if work-life balance can be achieved.

Cons

Experience and latitude to achieve is directly effected by management.

11. "Working at TMO"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great leadership, and change that is invigorating

Cons

Some people still want to hang on to the old ways of doing stuff

Advice to Management

Share more about what is means to transform a company and allow employees to embrace that motivation.