T. Rowe Price Group Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
William J. Stromberg
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • Also the overtime is terrible for anyway who wants a work life balance (in 20 reviews)

• You're basically a glorified call center rep (in 28 reviews)

"You will not experience instant success - you will have to work for it!"

Former Employee - Group Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Group Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at T. Rowe Price just a few months short of 15 years. During the first 3 years of my career, I would constantly ask myself "why am I being overlooked?" I would blame my lack of career advancement on others, in particular, I thought management was incompetent at the time.

Shortly after that point in time, I got a gut punch. I started to realize that I was pointing my finger at the wrong person. I started to try something new, I went about setting goals. Albeit some goals had nothing to do with work, however others did. I took the step of trying to volunteer for new opportunities, however at first nothing came up. So instead of having self-pity, I started to learn more about my role in between phone calls. Instead of sitting idle doing nothing, I challenged myself to learn everything I could about my role. I started to expand myself further, I started off by reading one new book a month and that quickly grew into reading two or three new books a month. During group meetings, town halls or training sessions - I started to speak up. I started to ask thoughtful questions, I started sharing some of my best practices...I even asked for help on how I could improve professionally.

From there, the approximate next 11 years of my career at T. Rowe Price were amazing. I had a burning desire to do more - I would never say no when given a new task or responsibility. I would never turn down a non-promotional move to another department. At times I would be overwhelmed, however I was able to work through it. By continuing to push myself personally and professional, I started to see changes. It was not overnight, it took time. As I progressed from individual contributor roles to various leadership roles, I found a new set of challenges, rewards and even failures. I was not perfect, and at times I felt that I let my staff down. However, I had a great set of direct reports and an amazing manager. When I failed at something, it was not the end of the world - it hurt like hell at the time, however the support structure I had was amazing.

It has been a little bit of time since my departure from T. Rowe Price. When I reflect back on my time there, I have to give it 5 stars! I was able to experience so many things and was able to work in almost every department in the Tampa office during my tenure. All I can hope for is that someone who is at a point in their career where they are questioning things - take a moment to self reflect. You may be having a moment like I had earlier in my career, if so, it's never too late to reinvent yourself! If you take advantage of what T. Rowe Price can offer you and don't expect instant success - I think you will find that it is a great company to develop yourself.

Cons

If you are only focused on the pay, it is not a good fit for you.

Don't get me wrong, it was not all sunshine. At times you will have great suggestions - and they will be overlooked or not implemented. I would say to my direct reports at times, I consider it a success if only 9 out of 10 of my ideas get turned down. I don't see that as a T. Rowe Price fault - it is just life, not all your ideas get implemented.

Very supportive environment - can sometimes be too supportive for lower performing associates.

Advice to Management

During my tenure, we would put a lot of focus "top box" associates in succession planning. Spend a little more time on talent you might be overlooking...the 5 time Super Bowl champion was overlooked by many.

2. "Group Manager"

Current Employee - Group Manager in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and strong company reputation

Cons

Work life balance and long hours. Pay should be more for hours worked and expectations of the role.

Advice to Management

Look at work load of this role. More and more work being pushed down from department managers and up from supervisors. This causes longers hours at work, outside of work and even weekends are expected and holidays. Leaves little time for family and outside of work priorities.