T. Rowe Price Reviews | Glassdoor

4.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
William J. Stromberg

Pros
Cons
  • Also the overtime is terrible for anyway who wants a work life balance (in 20 reviews)

• You're a glorified call center representative and even though it is an inbound (in 26 reviews)

"You will not experience instant success - you will have to work for it!"

Former Employee - Group Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Group Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at T. Rowe Price just a few months short of 15 years. During the first 3 years of my career, I would constantly ask myself "why am I being overlooked?" I would blame my lack of career advancement on others, in particular, I thought management was incompetent at the time.

Shortly after that point in time, I got a gut punch. I started to realize that I was pointing my finger at the wrong person. I started to try something new, I went about setting goals. Albeit some goals had nothing to do with work, however others did. I took the step of trying to volunteer for new opportunities, however at first nothing came up. So instead of having self-pity, I started to learn more about my role in between phone calls. Instead of sitting idle doing nothing, I challenged myself to learn everything I could about my role. I started to expand myself further, I started off by reading one new book a month and that quickly grew into reading two or three new books a month. During group meetings, town halls or training sessions - I started to speak up. I started to ask thoughtful questions, I started sharing some of my best practices...I even asked for help on how I could improve professionally.

From there, the approximate next 11 years of my career at T. Rowe Price were amazing. I had a burning desire to do more - I would never say no when given a new task or responsibility. I would never turn down a non-promotional move to another department. At times I would be overwhelmed, however I was able to work through it. By continuing to push myself personally and professional, I started to see changes. It was not overnight, it took time. As I progressed from individual contributor roles to various leadership roles, I found a new set of challenges, rewards and even failures. I was not perfect, and at times I felt that I let my staff down. However, I had a great set of direct reports and an amazing manager. When I failed at something, it was not the end of the world - it hurt like hell at the time, however the support structure I had was amazing.

It has been a little bit of time since my departure from T. Rowe Price. When I reflect back on my time there, I have to give it 5 stars! I was able to experience so many things and was able to work in almost every department in the Tampa office during my tenure. All I can hope for is that someone who is at a point in their career where they are questioning things - take a moment to self reflect. You may be having a moment like I had earlier in my career, if so, it's never too late to reinvent yourself! If you take advantage of what T. Rowe Price can offer you and don't expect instant success - I think you will find that it is a great company to develop yourself.

Cons

If you are only focused on the pay, it is not a good fit for you.

Don't get me wrong, it was not all sunshine. At times you will have great suggestions - and they will be overlooked or not implemented. I would say to my direct reports at times, I consider it a success if only 9 out of 10 of my ideas get turned down. I don't see that as a T. Rowe Price fault - it is just life, not all your ideas get implemented.

Very supportive environment - can sometimes be too supportive for lower performing associates.

Advice to Management

During my tenure, we would put a lot of focus "top box" associates in succession planning. Spend a little more time on talent you might be overlooking...the 5 time Super Bowl champion was overlooked by many.

2. "Strong Programs"

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at T. Rowe Price as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very strong internship programs at T. Rowe Price for junior and senior undergraduates. Well respected firm with attractive opportunities post-grad for students.

Cons

All was positive with them.

3. "Excellent Firm / Very Satisfying Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Executive leadership is top-notch, career paths in many disciplines, great associate development, outstanding firm reputation, industry leader, competitive compensation and benefits

Cons

historically slow to action, but that appears to be changing

5. "Senior Solutions Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and collaborative environment.

Cons

Large organization with a good amount of red rape.

6. "Know What You Want To Do"

Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Very Satisfactory Benefits
    - Great PTO
    - Good Facilities and Still Renovating
    - Wide amount of career opportunities

Cons

- Slight amount of cronyism
    - Pay is slightly above average
    - Technology behind the industry

There are a few other cons I could list, but truthfully I have enjoyed my time at T. Rowe Price. The fact that many associates leave the firm and then come back is proof enough that while T. Rowe Price may not be the highest paying company, it does show appreciation for their employees and try as best they can to balance work/life.

Advice to Management

There's a couple things to mention to management, but some of them seem burnt out or tired. I don't even know if it's even worth giving advice, negative or positive.

7. "Good employer. Wide variety of jobs."

Former Employee - Senior Portfolio Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Portfolio Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wide variety of jobs. Like to promote from within. Very good people to work with.

Cons

Excellent employees so stiff competition for advancement.

Advice to Management

Continue recruiting outside people to maintain wide variety of perspectives.

8. "Excellent Internship Experience with Positive Mentorship"

Former Employee - Equity Research Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Equity Research Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at T. Rowe Price (Less than a year)

Pros

They offer an extremely competitive benefits package, a beneficial mentorship program, expressed genuine interest in developing my experience and talent, and were an overall fantastic group of driven people.

Cons

Long hours during earnings season, very individualistic and financial analysis-heavy role

9. "Wonderful company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Severn, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Severn, MD

I have been working at T. Rowe Price part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Value their employees and offer great perks, good work-life balance

Cons

I hear the compensation could be more competitive

Advice to Management

Keep making culture and employees a priority

10. "Software Engineer"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at T. Rowe Price as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Very flexible and "Employee First" policy.

Cons

Not too quick in adapting new technology.

11. "Good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Nice people, good pay in investment positions. Good benefits, 401k, health etc.

Cons

Industry hurt by lower-cost / passive options which likely to be a headwind for growth.
    Location near Harbor not ideal.