T. Rowe Price Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Also the overtime is terrible for anyway who wants a work life balance (in 21 reviews)

• It's call center work for finance and customer service so it can be stressful (in 29 reviews)

1. "Retail Account Management Specialist"

Pros

Health Benefits, 401K, Cafeteria, Some Employees

Cons

Low Pay, Unexpected Mandatory Overtime

"Dont stay too long!"

Former Employee - RDS Service Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - RDS Service Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A new employee can become fully licensed and very desirable to the competitors, where everyone eventually ends up going.

Cons

Management will lie to you. You can exceed expectations, but if you are not young or don't try to promote every year or so, they will try to manage you out. If you don't take the hint, you could be demoted or terminated.

ADVICE: Get your licenses and a year or 2 of experience and move to a real Investment firm. If you are given an action plan, find another job and fast. Or you may be out 6 months to a year later.

3. "Horrible place for contractors"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Severn, MD
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Severn, MD

Pros

Nothing for me to say which is helpful for for contractors. Contractors were not treated correctly. Maybe location. That's all.

Cons

They treat contractors horribly. The conversion policy is misleading. A contractor won't be automatically converted after six months it's more like 18 months and you will have to apply for an open position if there is any available. The management I worked for asked me about medical issues which is unethical and against the law in the states. The atmosphere is slow, prehistoric and stuffy. Professionals are treated like children and not empowered if you are contractors. I would stay away if you plan on making a change and uprooting your life and foundation. At the end they wouldn't even pay the last hours I worked because they didn't believe I logged on to there outdated vpn software. Cheap too what a combo!!!

Advice to Management

Get with the times and give management team ethics courses.

"Poorly Staffed Glorified Call Center"

Current Employee - Participant Service Center (PSC) in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Participant Service Center (PSC) in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some decent benefits such a health insurance and 401K matching. Also has stock purchase program. You get your own cubical.

Cons

Constant overtime. Every Wednesday an email goes out with the amount of overtime scheduled for the following week. Out of the 14 weeks this year 14 of those weeks had mandatory overtime. I understand overtime is something to be expected but when a company has to preschedule overtime every week, there is either a staffing or management problem. You sit at a desk for 9-10 hours a day taking calls. Glorified call center. Team meetings were promised every week, yet each week they are cancelled. Coaching sessions, when not canceled just go over how you can be a better operator. Constant restructuring and changing of protocols with poor communication surrounding changes.

"Be prepared to work mandatory overtime every day, every week in WISE"

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed getting to know my coworkers and left with many friends.

Cons

Overtime is mandatory and you have absolutely zero control over how many hours or when you will work them. Look forward to that every day of the week if that's what management decides that's what's necessary. They try to make up for the poor morale with free, unhealthy food. You're sitting for more than eight to ten hours in a cube, and taking unplanned bathroom breaks counts against your metrics. It's easy to get fat and miserable. This is such a disappointing, poorly managed work environment. Unless you really, truly want the financial services industry experience or paycheck, run.

Advice to Management

Time to clean house in WPM and follow our values. You attract talent but fail to retain it because you are burning us out while claiming you're putting our clients first. All clients are getting are burnt-out reps and subpar service. That's something free ice cream and hot dogs can't fix.

"Conservative Investing, conservative corporate culture"

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

Pros

If your fresh out of school or looking to change careers, T. Rowe Price is a great place to start. Great name, responsible/conservative money management, great 401k choices and a reasonable number of hours in the work week round out my experience here. TROW is in a great position in the industry to capitalize on the current market condition and is poised for growth in the future.

Cons

The company is conservative in nature and is very slow to adapt to changes. For instance, the majority of the workforce here is grossly underpaid and certain groups are overworked. Not a great model considering all employees are compensated based on the same scale and the fact that promotional and annual merit raises are non-negotiable. Adding insult to injury is the small raise dollar amount of these increases due to the miniscule base salary. Bonuses are paid yearly, however in order to realize the full benefit of them you would have to stay with the company 5 years as a portion of the bonus goes straight to your 401k.

Advice to Management

Listen more. Even if you've been at the company 10+ years be open to less tenured associates ideas/opinions.

"A lot of Smoke and Mirrors"

Former Employee - High Enough to Know Enough
    Former Employee - High Enough to Know Enough

Pros

Great history and reputation.Great, if not the best, at managing the message internally and externally, you will never know the truth about anything.

Cons

Lost the heritage of the company since the change in executive management. The message is not being delivered down through the company as it is intended. Beware of smiling assassins. Moved to 'management by fear' in some organizations.

Advice to Management

Executive management need to make sure that their message is being conveyed and executed in the spirit it is given as opposed to being for middle/senior management's own self fulfillment.

"Avoid working at T. Rowe Price as all costs!!!"

Pros

Very good benefit package
    Many good people work for this company
    I believe Jim Kennedy is a good man who doesn't know how people are being treated
    I'm sure the company started out actually caring about its employees, but somewhere along the line that has been lost.

Cons

HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK: Torturous workload, gruelling hours, sweatshop environment, not enough people to process work. Impossible to please managers because parameters of job change daily. Managers are hired from other departments and most don't have a clue what those under them do. Horrible work-life balance because of the hours of overtime that are expected, especially during tax season. The expectations management has for the processors to meet productivity and quality numbers is unrealistic and the pressure they place on their employees is inhumane. People are literally killing themselves to escape the nightmare that is their job.

Advice to Management

The company claims to value their employees, but their words are empty. Why is it acceptable for you to destroy the confidence and sense of mental well-being of those who are in your employ? The productivity and quality metrics are obviously set by those that do not process, because they are impossible to meet. A processor can break his back doing his very best for the customer and for the good of the company, but no matter how hard he tries, he will never succeed. Employees don't dare speak out against the horrible way they are treated because they cannot afford to lose their job.

"Terrible Place to Work"

Former Employee - Investment Operations Associate
    Former Employee - Investment Operations Associate

Pros

Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Health Benefits

Cons

Terrible Management, Minimal Graduate Degree Funding, Low Starting Salaries, Redundant Work, No Growth Opportunities Internally, Operations Layoffs Will Continue

Advice to Management

Fire the entire management staff in Operations, especially the manager of the Fund of Funds group

"Caring firm but lacking feedback to respective employees."

Former Employee - Market Data Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Market Data Analyst in Baltimore, MD

Pros

T. Rowe Price offers some of the best benefits around to full time employees. Since I was an intern I did not expect nor did I receive any benefits. However, from talking to full time employees, I saw that that T. Rowe Price offered many incentives such as matching 401k's and increasing bonuses that other firms did not offer. Additionally, the environment is stimulating and the level of professionalism I saw was enormous. During my time, I participated in many intern events and because this was a long term co-op, I was placed in fully paid corporate housing, which was a huge benefit.

Cons

The feedback I received for my performance lacked tremendously. I thought I was doing a good job, but later in the program I received complaints about performance related issues that happened a long distance time in the past. The feedback is the worst part of T. Rowe Price where people are afraid to let ones thoughts known about what is going on and to the level of perception that others see you. This is a downside of the firm that I hope they would improve because an employee doesn't know how others perceive him/her unless adequate feedback is provided to the employee.

Advice to Management

Take care of employees