T. Rowe Price Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Also the overtime is terrible for anyway who wants a work life balance (in 21 reviews)

• It's call center work for finance and customer service so it can be stressful (in 29 reviews)

"Built for Large Company Culture"

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time

Pros

Benefits, International Company, traveling available.

Cons

Very big organization can be tough to navigate for career path

Advice to Management

Embrace more of a culture of who they are as a company and what they stand for in values.

"the tale of two cities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, PTO, stock and 401k

Cons

Lower wages if you are there a long time, promotions are based on who you network with more than any other factor. Constant major changes to depts, a reorg is just a week or two away any given week.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who are leaving in droves, there is a reason. Managers need serious people development training.

"You will not experience instant success - you will have to work for it!"

Former Employee - Group Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Group Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at T. Rowe Price just a few months short of 15 years. During the first 3 years of my career, I would constantly ask myself "why am I being overlooked?" I would blame my lack of career advancement on others, in particular, I thought management was incompetent at the time.

Shortly after that point in time, I got a gut punch. I started to realize that I was pointing my finger at the wrong person. I started to try something new, I went about setting goals. Albeit some goals had nothing to do with work, however others did. I took the step of trying to volunteer for new opportunities, however at first nothing came up. So instead of having self-pity, I started to learn more about my role in between phone calls. Instead of sitting idle doing nothing, I challenged myself to learn everything I could about my role. I started to expand myself further, I started off by reading one new book a month and that quickly grew into reading two or three new books a month. During group meetings, town halls or training sessions - I started to speak up. I started to ask thoughtful questions, I started sharing some of my best practices...I even asked for help on how I could improve professionally.

From there, the approximate next 11 years of my career at T. Rowe Price were amazing. I had a burning desire to do more - I would never say no when given a new task or responsibility. I would never turn down a non-promotional move to another department. At times I would be overwhelmed, however I was able to work through it. By continuing to push myself personally and professional, I started to see changes. It was not overnight, it took time. As I progressed from individual contributor roles to various leadership roles, I found a new set of challenges, rewards and even failures. I was not perfect, and at times I felt that I let my staff down. However, I had a great set of direct reports and an amazing manager. When I failed at something, it was not the end of the world - it hurt like hell at the time, however the support structure I had was amazing.

It has been a little bit of time since my departure from T. Rowe Price. When I reflect back on my time there, I have to give it 5 stars! I was able to experience so many things and was able to work in almost every department in the Tampa office during my tenure. All I can hope for is that someone who is at a point in their career where they are questioning things - take a moment to self reflect. You may be having a moment like I had earlier in my career, if so, it's never too late to reinvent yourself! If you take advantage of what T. Rowe Price can offer you and don't expect instant success - I think you will find that it is a great company to develop yourself.

Cons

If you are only focused on the pay, it is not a good fit for you.

Don't get me wrong, it was not all sunshine. At times you will have great suggestions - and they will be overlooked or not implemented. I would say to my direct reports at times, I consider it a success if only 9 out of 10 of my ideas get turned down. I don't see that as a T. Rowe Price fault - it is just life, not all your ideas get implemented.

Very supportive environment - can sometimes be too supportive for lower performing associates.

Advice to Management

During my tenure, we would put a lot of focus "top box" associates in succession planning. Spend a little more time on talent you might be overlooking...the 5 time Super Bowl champion was overlooked by many.

4. "Great Company Limited Advancement"

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time

Pros

Great benefits, Management cares about employees, Good work culture

Cons

Salaries are not competitive, Management slow to make decisions, A lot of lateral promotions but you don't really get out of the same role.

Advice to Management

Have more transparency in regards to other opportunities within the company.

"Stay away from PSC now known as WISE"

Former Employee - Participant Service Center (PSC) in Owings, MD
    Former Employee - Participant Service Center (PSC) in Owings, MD

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO, ability to get licenses with FINRA, meet some genuine people, these are the only pros I promise because once you see how horrible the place is you will be using the PTO like crazy

Cons

Overtime overtime overtime, the people running this department don't use logic or common sense. They let go half the department who can't obtain a series 6, and 63 license but don't replace them. Meanwhile calls are increased and mandatory overtime is getting scheduled. Working ten hour days with 30 minute lunches and getting watched like a hawk if you log off the phone. This is pure call center hell I wouldn't recommend anyone coming to work for this department it was the worst time of my life here. Everyone is throwing everyone under the bus in order to move ahead, whatever you do, do not apply for financial services group or any phone group. You will be stuck in the position after your year is up

Advice to Management

Grow up and use your brain, people are leaving because it's horrible and you can't even find people to fill the seats of others who have left! Good luck

6. "Good place to work. Good colleagues and lots of opportunities."

Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Meritocracy. Encouraged to work hard and often rewarded.good opportunities. A wide variety of jobs, and can move around. The firm helps with education at nearby schools.

Cons

Lots of competition, but encouraged to work together as a team. Sometimes it's hard to transition from one part of the company to another.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a good job. Good entry level jobs and opportunities for advancement.

7. "Great opportunities, Great people."

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Career growth, management is solid

Cons

A bit bureaucratic at times

8. "Financial services rep"

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and benefits. Plenty of paid time off

Cons

The starting salaries in most positions are beloe average

"It's a decent job."

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Starting salary is $38k and you're bumped up to $40k after passing the Series 6 and Series 63. Other than that, you're paid time to study for your licenses.

Cons

Micromanaging; Office politics; favoritism; lousy amount of vacation days. The job itself is horrendous. You're basically a glorified call center rep.

Advice to Management

Promote the people who actually have skill and talent instead of the people who think they're better than everyone else.

10. "Good starter job"

Current Employee - Retirement Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Retirement Specialist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Contributions to 401k from the company are great.
    Mostly autonomous atmosphere.

Cons

Technology used to support workplace participants is very antiquated.
    Base pay is less than optimal.
    Follow through from leadership to address serious concerns of workplace investors is not adequate.

Advice to Management

WISE needs a serious overhaul. Need more bodies on the phones and better technologies to support participants