TASC Reviews in Chantilly, VA | Glassdoor

3.3
TASC President and Chief Executive Officer John Hynes
John Hynes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fantastic work environment with smart, innovative, and motivated coworkers (in 14 reviews)

• Good reputation and always able to place good people if a contract ran out (in 13 reviews)

Cons

1. "Great Job After Retiring From Military"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at TASC (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, good job
    TASC does a great job moving people between contracts to avoid letting people go
    Friendly environment
    Respected Company in Intel Community

Cons

Limited work locations
    Engility purchase of company

"My experience with TASC was fairly positive, but..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I worked at TASC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- My line management was excellent - there was good, honest communication, and they valued employee contributions.
    - When I was looking to move on to another project after almost three years, my management and the human resources department really worked hard to try to find me viable options.
    - The benefits and compensation were competitive, including providing access to technology training that was timely as well as useful to our customers
    - TASC applied some of the best automation of personnel-oriented processes (e.g., onboarding, reviews, benefits enrollment) I have ever encountered.

Cons

- There were not many placement options for very senior technical resources (25+ years)
    - Raises during the last two years at TASC were non-existent, possibly as part of TASC's move to merge with Engility
    - Extra effort with proposals, contract re-competes and similar activities did not appear to receive matching rewards.

Advice to Management

It's been two years since I left TASC, and with the merger with Engility, I'm not sure how the management of the company has changed. But high performers and those who put extra effort in should be rewarded for their work.

"standard"

Former Employee - Operations Research Analyst in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Operations Research Analyst in Chantilly, VA

I worked at TASC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like doing work for the govt, you could do worse

Cons

You only hear from mgmt when they need help working proposals, when you are up for performance review, or when something not good is about to happen (see other two)

4. "CYBER NETWORK ENGINEER"

Current Employee - CYBER NETWORK ANALYST in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - CYBER NETWORK ANALYST in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at TASC (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company to work for.

Cons

Not too much room to grow

5. "TASC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at TASC (More than 3 years)

Pros

Terrific people, devoted to the mission, great teamwork.

Cons

Can't hire good people fast enough!

6. "DoD Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Chantilly, VA

Pros

Decent benefits
    Direct management stays engaged with employees

Cons

DoD contract company so employment is not stable and dependent on contract renewals.
    High level management and contract managers are not closely engaged with the low level contributors.

Advice to Management

Management should strive to work with DoD customer on a regular basis to insure they understand the product you are supporting. The customer will be inclined to cut your funds or contract if they do not have a clear understanding of how the product helps them.

7. "Intern/Proposal Team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I worked at TASC (More than a year)

Pros

Gave me a job out of school, so that's a plus

Cons

Did not seem generally interested in keeping me

"Use to be a Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at TASC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Freedom to work without being micro managed. Flex hours. The Legacy TASC side use to be a very great company.

Cons

Upper Management is very dis engaged with staff. Very little communication when needed. The Benefits are not Great. Raises if you get one is very little.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's. Don't tell them you don't have time to address the needs of the department because you don't understand the statement of work. If you don't have time to learn what your Staff does, place that group under another manager who has the time. Your employee's should feel cared for and have confidence in there leadership.

9. "Cyber Security Engineer"

Current Employee - Cyber Security Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Cyber Security Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at TASC full-time

Pros

Good working environment where your peers look out for you.

Cons

Benefits are not that great.

"Here we go again"

Current Employee - SETA in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - SETA in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at TASC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customers are great people to work with. It's rewarding to see the work that is accomplished by the organization that we support.

Cons

The last time before a government shut down, the company made everyone take a week of forced vacation at the end of September. This allowed to program manager to still have some '2014 funds' with which to pay people while during the first week of October when the government was shut down.

They did this 'for the good of the customer' to continue to have a smaller group of people 'on the job to carry out the 'mission''. For appearances, the CEO also took a week of vacation as a measure of solidarity (although they probably also increased his annual bonus by more than 5% to more than make up for it).

Forced vacation is paid time off that can't be used for vacation. Basically, if you get paid $52,000 per year and you take a week of forced vacation, you are really just taking a $1000 pay cut unless you perfectly timed that trip to Disneyworld. Unlike federal workers, you don't get $1000 in back pay when Congress finally decides to behave like adults.

What's the point of all of this? If TASC has to choose between watching out for the interests of it's employees or 'supporting the mission', TASC is going to pander to the COTRs instead of watching out for its employees.

Advice to Management

When the government shuts down, cut the 'all for one and one for all' BS. If it's 'all for one and one for all', give your employees their share of the award fee that they earn when they do excellent work (instead of just handing out a $200 check to people who know how to work the bonus process*). If you're not going to share in the positives, don't make everyone give up their 'fair share' of the negatives.

To the COTRs, please recognize this pandering and don't encourage it. TASC management doesn't care so much about 'the mission' that you're responsible for as the award fee that you give them. Realize that if you give the managers a 100% award fee because of the 'innovative approach to supporting the mission in the face of the government shutdown', you aren't compensating the project team for the week's worth of pay that they were forced to give up. You're just encouraging management to screw over the contractors your team so that they can pander to you. Don't let them do that.

*Every cycle, Person 1 and Person 2 get together. Person 1 says Person 2 did an awesome job. Person 2 says Person 1 did an awesome job. Person 1 and Person 2 get a bonus.)