TASC Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
TASC President and Chief Executive Officer John Hynes
John Hynes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fantastic work environment with smart, innovative, and motivated coworkers (in 14 reviews)

• Good reputation and always able to place good people if a contract ran out (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is very dis engaged with staff (in 6 reviews)

• This company is no longer in existence (in 5 reviews)

1. "TASC is a mess"

Former Employee - Systems Architect in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Architect in Chantilly, VA

I worked at TASC (More than a year)

Pros

Absolute body shop. There is no rhyme or reason to their promotion or job selection process. The nepotistic group of humans I have ever seen.

Cons

Short commute and nice locations.

Advice to Management

Resign.

"Senior Management Heavy and Unorganized"

I worked at TASC full-time

Pros

Decent benefits and nice co-workers

Cons

Too many chiefs in the tribe. Management was unorganized and too worried about their own careers to effectively manage or mentor younger employees.

Advice to Management

Streamline the management hierarchy and hire competent managers

"The Merger Ruined Everything"

I worked at TASC full-time

Pros

Great education benefits, flexible hours, talented analysts.

Cons

Following the merger (acquisition) with Engility, the company went downhill.

As spoken by John Hynes himself during a town hall meeting, "no annual cost of living increase."

"Top heavy, disfunctional management that don't care about you, apathetic, gossip, and you have no chance to advance."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer

Pros

Free coffee but management closed down our cafeteria. The parking lot is big enough for everyone.

Cons

Managers are overpaid, oblivious, and lazy! Tasc has too many PMs and many aren't even managers anymore due to lost contracts - they slide into a SETA position and keep their PM pay. They do nothing but marginalize and stereotype employees and critcize the customer. Managers rely on the good 'ol boy system to keep their jobs and remain relevant.

Communication is nonexistant. Managers won't remember your name or even care to talk or i teract with you. You are just a distraction to them.

You will have zero chance to advance and will not be rewarded with a decent raise or performance eval unless you get in the good ol' boy system. Tasc is old school - managers reward employees based on who you know, not by the merits.

There is a huge generation gap that Tasc ignores and cannot remedy because salaries are so high for top heavy management they can't afford salaries for anyone but a junior engineer.

If you accept a job at Tasc, be prepared to get all the BS and gopher work dumped into your lap. New hires provide opportunity of senior and mid level to empty there tasks onto you for long work days while they gossip in the halls and goof off.

Benefits are getting cut more and more. Health care is absolutely terrible.

Advice to Management

At least try to implement an effective ethics program and measure employees performance and provide opportunity for advancement to close the age gap based on achievement, customer satisfaction, and record of accomplishment - not corrupt office politics and good ol' boy networking.

"WORST PLACE EVER"

Former Employee - Aerospace Engineer in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Aerospace Engineer in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at TASC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a paycheck, albeit a small one. Not much else I can say, there were a few good people there, but they were in the minority. There was a Costco nearby where you can get a cheap lunch.

Cons

What a horrible place to work. It was the most unprofessional and immature group of engineers I ever worked with. Partly that was due to the average age of the group (younger), but more due to bad leadership, or lack thereof. Management was by those who were small minded and petty, interested in self promotion more than success of the group. My lead would actively sabotage his engineers to try to make himself look better. Such bad behavior. The whole culture there was of small-minded pettiness. Not a good place for a midcareer engineer, but possibly good for those just starting out, or in the last 5 years of their careers. Otherwise I'd say stay away, this place is the toxic waste dump of engineering offices.

Advice to Management

Act like leaders, not like selfish children.

"Use to be a Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at TASC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Freedom to work without being micro managed. Flex hours. The Legacy TASC side use to be a very great company.

Cons

Upper Management is very dis engaged with staff. Very little communication when needed. The Benefits are not Great. Raises if you get one is very little.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's. Don't tell them you don't have time to address the needs of the department because you don't understand the statement of work. If you don't have time to learn what your Staff does, place that group under another manager who has the time. Your employee's should feel cared for and have confidence in there leadership.

"Was a great place to work until being acquired by Engility"

Former Employee - Propsal Graphic Artist in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Propsal Graphic Artist in Chantilly, VA

I worked at TASC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility in work schedule, great people to work with, real team work in proposal production.

Cons

New company was hazy in guidance and processes. Benefits cut, no raises since 2013.

Advice to Management

Employees are not widgets--cutting to the bone to be "lean and mean" will result in losing your best people, relying on the cheapest method will result in poor services to the customer and damage your bottom line.

"Awful."

I have been working at TASC full-time

Pros

The only perk is it pays well.

Cons

Awful people in a cutthroat environment.

"Budget Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at TASC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

No Pro's left...the company has deteriorated to a point where it's become who can get out fastest.

Cons

I have watched management eat up, what little profits there are, with high salaries and bonuses for the executives, while the employee's have not had any raises in more than 3 years and, even though annual bonuses are "supposed" to happen, they don't (at least not for anyone below Director level (Director and above get their bonuses). Benefits have been cut to the point that you're almost better off going through "Affordable Health Care" program. TASC doesn't understand their customers, don't meet the customer needs, and certainly don't meet the employee's needs. TASC has some seriously talented employee's...but many are RIF'd because they make too much money (you get what you pay for dude's), or they leave for other employment because they are fed up with the BS. I understand the economy, and government cut backs...but the decisions that upper Management at TASC is making are truly BAD, and have resulted in the loss of some outstanding employee's and some seriously important government contracts.

Advice to Management

None...they won't listen anyway. In the 5 years since it's separation from Northrop Grumman, they have had extremely talented people give them advice...they don't take it...so I'll give none here...it's not like they care, or even read these boards anyhow!

"Stay away"

I have been working at TASC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customer work environment is decent

Cons

No room for advancement. Raises are non-existent. Section Managers; first in your chain, only care about performance assessment to say they checked the block so they don't get in trouble with business standards and conduct for upper management; no counseling whatsoever. I actually received my annual assessment in the govt spaces standing up at a 'bar' area outside of a busy door/through-way. About a dozen people passed by in matter of 10 minutes. No matter how many accolades I received or accomplishments for the customer, the manager read through my assessment in approx. 1 minute and asked if there was anything he could do better. He hurried away and had me sign very quickly. That was very telling.

Advice to Management

On my contract most have 'gone native'; meaning they think they are part of the government and act that way.

Improve offboarding and onboarding processes; takes about 50 days to onboard because work flow processes are not being followed or are nonexistent. Offboarding was worse.