TASC Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
TASC President and Chief Executive Officer John Hynes
John Hynes

Pros
  • Fantastic work environment with smart, innovative, and motivated coworkers (in 13 reviews)

• Interesting work; good people among the rank and file; reasonable job security especially for engineers (in 12 reviews)

1. "System Engineer"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at TASC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits were great especially the educational and 401K benefits at the time.

Cons

Limited career growth and it was hard to go from the FAA support side of the company to other segments

"Life as Engility"

Current Employee - Director in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at TASC (More than 3 years)

Pros

TASC business units still intact, managing and treating their employees like humans - despite all the changes to the company since the merger.

Cons

Engility corporate, including the legacy TASC corporate executives treating employees as commodities. Barely spend time interacting with the employees that make it possible for them to enjoy the perks of being an executive at Engility. Management staff don't know how to be leaders.

Advice to Management

None.

"Here we go again"

Current Employee - SETA in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - SETA in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at TASC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customers are great people to work with. It's rewarding to see the work that is accomplished by the organization that we support.

Cons

The last time before a government shut down, the company made everyone take a week of forced vacation at the end of September. This allowed to program manager to still have some '2014 funds' with which to pay people while during the first week of October when the government was shut down.

They did this 'for the good of the customer' to continue to have a smaller group of people 'on the job to carry out the 'mission''. For appearances, the CEO also took a week of vacation as a measure of solidarity (although they probably also increased his annual bonus by more than 5% to more than make up for it).

Forced vacation is paid time off that can't be used for vacation. Basically, if you get paid $52,000 per year and you take a week of forced vacation, you are really just taking a $1000 pay cut unless you perfectly timed that trip to Disneyworld. Unlike federal workers, you don't get $1000 in back pay when Congress finally decides to behave like adults.

What's the point of all of this? If TASC has to choose between watching out for the interests of it's employees or 'supporting the mission', TASC is going to pander to the COTRs instead of watching out for its employees.

Advice to Management

When the government shuts down, cut the 'all for one and one for all' BS. If it's 'all for one and one for all', give your employees their share of the award fee that they earn when they do excellent work (instead of just handing out a $200 check to people who know how to work the bonus process*). If you're not going to share in the positives, don't make everyone give up their 'fair share' of the negatives.

To the COTRs, please recognize this pandering and don't encourage it. TASC management doesn't care so much about 'the mission' that you're responsible for as the award fee that you give them. Realize that if you give the managers a 100% award fee because of the 'innovative approach to supporting the mission in the face of the government shutdown', you aren't compensating the project team for the week's worth of pay that they were forced to give up. You're just encouraging management to screw over the contractors your team so that they can pander to you. Don't let them do that.

*Every cycle, Person 1 and Person 2 get together. Person 1 says Person 2 did an awesome job. Person 2 says Person 1 did an awesome job. Person 1 and Person 2 get a bonus.)

"Good Luck"

I worked at TASC full-time

Pros

It was a good company but is falling to the LPTA world gov. contracting is migrating towards. Good executives, solid financial plan.

Cons

Incompetent mid-level managers, this is a company that strapped itself to Engility and the jobs will continue to disappear so long as they continue to move to LPTA.

Advice to Management

If you want to hold on to the employees within the company stop paying yourselves and pay the people doing the day to day work to make sure the wheels dont fall off.

"Interesting work, but poor benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairmont, WV

I have been working at TASC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work doing IV&V for several types of space missions. Co-workers are enthusiastic. Project leads are knowledgeable.

Cons

Poor benefits (high cost medical insurance, no sick time), no raises for most workers, very few upward mobility opportunities.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like they matter. If you're not going to give them sick time, at least allow them to accrue comp time.

"Ridiculous"

I worked at TASC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was potentially interesting work, exposure to intellectually stimulating projects, some decent, well-meaning people, and the potential for meaningful contributions to national security. This was offsite, so I can't speak to operations in Chantilly.

PTO was on-par (pretty good) with government contracting at first, though the recruiter declined to mention the program which TASC had (at least at the time) for higher PTO rates for experienced professionals; I didn't expect my PTO to be nearly as generous as a new employee having been with another outfit for many years, but still. They were great, however, about work-life balance (though you definitely couldn't work at home, so they kind of had to be).

My direct report wasn't without his faults, but his heart was in the right place and he always treated me with decency.

Cons

I could feel myself getting dumber by the day. There was no real engineering work (a FACT that many there will vehemently deny). Granted it was offsite, and, as many here have noted, being outside of Chantilly sort of means you're at the mercy of local management, but, still, they had a lot of nerve calling my position "electrical engineer". I'm honestly shocked that I was able to get a new position where I'm expected to work hard and produce, which I do, after pure career stagnation. And none of my comments are from bitterness; these are just observations.

Advice to Management

You're losing contracts, or as you put it, "not winning", for several reasons: Your offsite operations are bleeding due to mismanagement, employing (many, but not all) "engineers" with made-up titles--you can't just hire people and call them "engineers"--many of whom truly have no idea what the mission really is.; quality control, at least when I was there, regarding employee interactions with the customer was nil (though the program manager did try... and has since been let go); corruption (subs!) and unethical behavior--and I mean the type that could get clearances yanked--was well known and tolerated at, as far as I could tell, every level; the ratio of cost to value added was far below unity; and you've got managers whose actual college graduation, college attendance and degrees conferred, if at all, was extremely vague; not that you need a degree to be effective, but the individuals I'm thinking of, doing the work they did, definitely would have benefited from some good, old fashioned book learnin' relevant to the mission.

"TASC -- Benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairmont, WV

I have been working at TASC full-time

Pros

Co-workers are great. Unfortunately that is really the only thing good about working here.Other than the paycheck.

Cons

Benefits have declined such as vacation and raises. Engility has acquired TASC and it remains to be seen what the change will bring.

"Customer Care"

Former Employee - WISCONSIN in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - WISCONSIN in Madison, WI

I worked at TASC full-time

Pros

Ability to work from home

Cons

For whatever reason the system always breaks and the number for support tickets is ridiculous. Summer is less busy and they let people go due to downsizing but it's never mentioned during the hiring process that this happens every year.

"A poor choice"

Former Employee - Contract Administrator in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Contract Administrator in Chantilly, VA

I worked at TASC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I joined the company after the spin off from NG there was high hopes for future growth. However the company maintained the processes and culture of the NG behemoth. They were a mid-size beltway contractor and the benefits and pay were adequate. The former mgmt was nice and responsive.

The cafeteria was nice.

Cons

By the time I left the company been through several rounds of layoffs, the executive management was completely gutted and spending on people and workplace fell through the floor. Perhaps it was necessary due to the repeated contract losses suffered. Instead of rallying the troops to press forward the company cut positions, cut pay, and slashed benefits. The remaining management was entirely unfit for duty. I was not surprised to hear they were bought out by a larger firm. I cannot speak for the new owner but as for TASC itself I would avoid like the plague until they have documented performance.

Things to expect
    -Low pay
    -Abysmal benefits
    -Lackluster management
    -No vision
    -No drive

Advice to Management

To the new owners, cut all the former management and invest in the few dedicated worker bees who stuck around out of loyalty.

"Post Employment"

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

Not much. Was competitive in salary but has turned there back on that in recent months.

Cons

Company has made many poor senior management decisions over the last two years which resulted in lost opportunities. Does not understand DoD customer base and is too focused on Intelligence Community trying to use the same approach with DoD.

Advice to Management

Take a serious look at your middle management team. They are poor decision makers.