TASER Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
TASER CEO and Founder Rick Smith
Rick Smith

Pros
  • Work life balance is overall good (in 7 reviews)

• Part of something that was meaningful and helped make the world a safer place (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes the hours can get long, but the company pushes everyone to have a good work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Transforming and scaling company is experiencing some growing pains of hyper scale (in 8 reviews)

"Wow, just wow."

Current Employee - Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at TASER full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited time off (salary employees only).
    Cool building that has rooftop covered patio.
    Stable business with no sign of decline.
    Chance to get a Tesla 3 with certain positions right now.
    Old culture people are great to work with.

Cons

Culture change is killing the company.
    Work life balance is terrible- other reviews that say it's good are lies. Expect to work 10+ hours a day regularly, weekends, and get surprise deadlines the day of or the day before.
    Bonuses are going down even when profit is going up.
    Bad code ethics and sloppy code.
    Quality is going down.
    Lacking covered parking and close parking.
    Leadership roles seem to only be filled with abrasive people when they are opened.
    Spring cleaning of lower employees every year.
    Over spending for stupid ideas, no spending for good ideas.

Advice to Management

You're trying to be cool and hip, but coming off stupid. Stop trying to copy what you see other companies doing and do what your employees actually want. You love putting out surveys but then just saying 'if you don't like it here, you should leave' rather than addressing the issues that are brought up. Work is frustrating. Not because it's difficult or because the people I work with are difficult, but because management and upper management make stupid decisions. Think before you act.

"The win at all costs mentally permeates everything the company touches"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at TASER full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From the outside looking in, it's a very cool place to work. There are some very hard working and conscientious people who are working hard to make the world a safer place.

Cons

The hard working and conscientious people mentioned in my "Pros" review are overshadowed by greedy leadership.
    Validation processes meant to avoid mistake are being shortchanged. Products are suffering and the customers are noticing. What used to be a good company is morphing into something barely recognizable to long time employees. What other reviewers describe as start-up speed is just code speak for doing everything fast and loose for the sake of the bottom line.
    Human Resources prompts bright-eyed college kids in the company's leadership program to post positive reviews to keep the company's Glassdoor score from tanking even lower.

Advice to Management

This has already been mentioned in a previous review, but fire yourselves. The frat house way of doing business is killing us.

"Don't Be Fooled"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

- Fancy entrance
    - Shiny new office
    - Great computer equipment
    - Body cams are big biz
    - Taser weapons are a monopoly

Cons

Product quality is terrible. The Body2s have had tons of issues. The car cams are barely usable in real world situations. The migration to Azure is a considered either a joke or a nightmare by most of engineering. Not surprisingly, they've carried their attitude straight from the weapons world; search for "Killing Them Softly" if you want to see how bad things are.

Ever wonder why most of super positive 5 star reviews come in clusters? That's because they're written by HR. What do you expect from a company that thinks it's classy to ride a crappy boat in a pirate patch in order to "recruit" from google?

The benefits are mostly terrible unless you're 21 and don't need proper healthcare and can survive solely on grand canyon trips. Good luck with the mostly flat stock price, you're not getting any stock grants anyway, because that's how Taser rolls.

One of the other reviewers mentioned that there's a lot of ex-microsoft, google and amazon folks here. This is true; too bad it's all the rejects who couldn't hack it at a real company.

Advice to Management

If HR is going to be leaving reviews, at least learn to lie better.

"Could be Awesome, hindered by leadership team"

Pros

Possibility of developing exciting new technologies to solve complex problems is awesome.

The vision is grand and nobel, and the company has the potential to make a difference with every product we make.

Cons

New technology adoption and forward thinking development is marred by perceived NEED IT NOW knee jerk reactions.

Fragmented and misguided development efforts from leadership team that generally behaves like deer in headlights with challenging problems. Requires mid level and low level leadership to take the reigns and guide company while upper management rides the wave.

Leadership has little experience and historical success in technology space and market, continues to struggle with guidance resulting in frustrated teams.

micro-management runs high from poorly experienced leaders

Little to nonexistent career growth. New hires are promoted immediately with no experience due to personal relationships, those with experience that have built success for the organization are dismissed.

Advice to Management

A change in management is needed. Focus on integrity, passion versus favoritism and old colleagues. If company is finding it difficult to hire in such a world changing industry, follow the signs, it's obvious where your problems are.

"Was a great place to work and can be again, lost a lot of good employees but could have avoided the loss"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at TASER full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Our products can truly save lives, and protect the truth of the officer or the public, whomever is in the right. Most departments have a few good employees that truly care about the company and its customers' safety. This is one of the only reasons we have forward momentum, besides veteran employee hard work prior. A few good benefits are relaxed dress code, free coffee, a few free lunches, bonuses can be good. Some officers are very happy with our products and that helps maintain our loyalty and extremely hard work. I can see a path forward for myself, still, and that is what motivates me.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are entire agencies who are frustrated with or hate our products, and some have paid the price for low cost parts, unrealistic schedules and arbitrary, hard deadlines that limit what the product quality could be.

Everyone on these teams know the same story, there is insufficient time to do things right, and every few years we hear that we are not going to do repeat those mistakes, but it happens on the very next project when dates cannot be met, or quality is subpar, despite the teams giving it their all. Dates are set long before we know what is feasible, and no adjustments are considered acceptable, despite the warnings of the team experts. Eventually, this leads to certain failure (which was predicted by subject matter experts), and it is always sketchy if the people trying to save the project will be thrown under the bus at any moment.

Some departments have cancerous management or employees, and have been legitimately reported for their destructive decision making when it defies logic and product quality, and
    costs the company alot of money, and project schedule but they are still there. Our products involve personal and career risk to our customers, we should not take this lightly or ignore brutal facts.

Key employees are leaving the company despite wanting to stay but they can't justify it under this toxic work environment of a single individual VP. The tribal knowledge that has left over the past few months and years is irreplaceable, and nearly all of it was avoidable. Warnings were given, and ignored. These departments are now struggling, but refuse to admit it, and worse, mid and upper management are not held accountable because they hide the fact that the employee could have been compensated fairly, but refused to do so.

Advice to Management

Middle and upper management: Please listen to your experts in each department (not management), they will tell you what you need to hear, but they are painted as being uncooperative or incapable when they cannot meet the unrealistic and uncompromising schedules that defy our mission statement. In some cases middle management will tell upper management everything they want to hear, even if it is a lie. We only have a few experts in each area, now, and little or no true mentorship to replace them.

I love my work but am frustrated we keep doing things wrong, and not listening to reason. Don't make your most loyal, key employees regret sticking with the company during tough times. They truly are carrying the company forward. There are some employees who are dead weight, and peers as well as other departments recognize it but often nothing is done to correct it. Anonymous surveys are not anonymous, so that is likely why these people are underreported or not at all. On the contrary, veteran experts are constantly under-supported or unsupported, while dept favorites are overly supported. In some cases these seemingly untouchables should actually be terminated for being difficult to work with, and who ignore recommendations from veteran employees. This is costing us all.

Interviews with bizarre questions are an embarrassment to our company, and distract hiring officials from the true value of a potential employee. Interviewers having no legitimate function for interviewing a particular candidate make it look like we have no idea what we are doing. Failing to hire experienced candidates who can't answer a few bizarre and irrelevant questions which do not relate to job roles or tasks, and loaded questions with abstract or no details does a serious disservice to the company and its employees. Meanwhile, hiring people with impressive degrees from prestigious universities that are impossible to work with, and that have no experience are destroying morale and putting us at risk for failure.

Some terminations were good for the company but some were completely unwarranted and will cost us, in the end. Those who need to be served walking papers are still there, breaking good teams apart and forcing solid, veteran employees to leave but hating to do so.

Upper management: Listen to advice from disgruntled employees (there are a lot of common concerns across department lines) and recognize if middle management is telling you everything you want to hear, rather than stating the facts and challenges/risks. They are probably sugar coating the truth, at best, and outright hiding known issues, more likely. Some of these issues swept under the rug are done so they can keep their job, but have serious consequences for the teams.

Many veteran employees remaining have been or are looking for other employment, but don't want to leave. The few cancerous employees in their position of power above them is the root cause. Don't fall for glowing reports, ask for the hard truth mid and even upper level management may be hiding, in some departments. The hard workers are going to be the scapegoats, appearing to be uncooperative or incompetent, but that couldn't be further from the truth. If the reports sound too good to be true, they most likely are.

We can fix this if we take action. If we do, I will gladly update my review.

"Overrated"

Pros

Getting a bonus every quarter. Gets a half year off when you have a child. 6 months for women and 3 months for men.

Cons

Front office is treated like they own the company, get lunches weekly, custom made shoes, while manufacturing get 2 slices of pizza at quarterly meeting. No communication within the whole company. Losing great people because they want to pay kids straight out of college.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the whole company not just the front office.

"Major Boys Club"

Former Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at TASER full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity if you are hard working, ambitious and like working in technology.

Cons

The only way you will experience growth is if you are connected to an executive in the company or you are a white male.

Advice to Management

Just because someone didn't go to an Ivy league school does not mean they are not capable of leading. You might want to start hiring managers and directors based on experience instead of pedigree.

"Terrible middle management and favoritism"

I have been working at TASER full-time

Pros

Company has good technology and there are some really great people.

Cons

Middle Management is clueless and nepotism is rampant.

Advice to Management

Find competent managers who aren't focused on taking care of their friends.

"It used to be a great place to work, most good reviews are from HR"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Most positive reviews are from new alumni, or recent hires, red thru and find some honest ones. Good bonus (recently), stock options (recently), nice clean well maintained building, large video wall with XBOX if that's your thing.

Cons

Promotion of military/law enforcement individuals over more experienced career oriented folks. Upper management and CEO surround themselves with recent college grads and allow them to grow office politics and silos that lead to favoritism amungst themselves. High level of office politics which gets old real quick. Lots of turnover and firings of upper mnagement in the form of forced resignations.

Advice to Management

Respect experience over ex LEO and military personnel, stop giving alumni with no work experience oportunities to manage they are not qualified for. Realize authority does not equate to respect.

"Honest Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at TASER full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Being given opportunities to grow my career buy their former CFO/COO. Being trusted in, believed in feeling valued by that person. Unfortunately those opportunities are no longer given if you aren't a Grad student or and overpaid executive. Its sad but true. I also enjoyed working with the employees that helped build this co to what it was. Some are still there, but few. The products intent, is also an important reason to feel good about being a part of Taser.

Cons

CFO So many bad business decisions. And no one has the nerve to tell/challenge him. Too busy reliving his youth and trying to be like every other Big deal tech company vs focusing on why he started Taser to begin with. When the stocks up, its good. But when its not, reality is still there. That same ol toxic environment. Just my honest opinion.

Advice to Management

The company will succeed, because the product is a good one. Quality is an issue, but with the right people I'm sure it could improve. Invest in your employees that have committed to make Taser what it was and can be. Value your employees, ALL of them. Not just the VP's or College kids. Make them want to go to work in the am. Not feel sick to. Grow a pair, be honest about whats not working.....