TCG, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Daniel A. Turner

1. "Excellent small company in the DC contracting world"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at TCG, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A work/life balance is a priority to TCG, and they put their money where their mouth is by allowing flexible schedules, and by making it ridiculously easy, practically desiring you, to work remotely.

Employees are not kept in the dark when it comes to the company's health. The quarterly meetings kind of have a "family reunion" feel to them, which makes it easier to bring up questions, and share concerns, which is always part of the agenda anyway.

The company is growing, and even when there are funding setbacks, TCG works hard to make sure you are covered with funding, considering the difficulties in the budgeting process that its #1 client (Fed Gov) seems to have.

I do not participate in the health benefits, so I cannot speak to its quality, but the retirement and life benefits are more than adequate, with a life insurance payout (that I hope never to use) that is extremely generous, compared to previous employers of mine, and most others today.

Cons

No real downsides to working here, only that I wish I could work remotely from another country as a permanent situation! But it's understandable why that is not the case.

Advice to Management

Stop getting so much recognition as a great place to work, or winning awards; you might get a big head. :)

Feb 9, 2017 – Marketing & Communications Specialist

Thanks for the feedback. I guess we’ll just have to sacrifice our normal head size if it means keeping everyone happy. ;)

"Wired, Weird and Wonderful"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at TCG, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have never felt more supported, free to be me and able to get stuff done.

Cons

Right now the firm is small, so if your current gig goes away it can take a little longer to find a new one you really like. That said, management will work with you and placement seems to be way less political than in the big firms I've worked in.

Advice to Management

The weird you have going on is good weird. Try to keep that as you grow!

Nov 14, 2016 – Marketing & Communications Specialist

Weird...positively distinct.... Either way, we're glad you're happy at TCG!

3. "What a wonderful place to call a second home"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at TCG, Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1) Work Life Balance - Managers are increasingly aware of the importance of promoting a healthy work-life balance for employees, which increases job satisfaction.

2) Multiple opportunities - At least one is sure to fit your career goals, needs, and wants.

3) Great leadership - They believe in you and are actionable in ensuring you have what you need to be successful.

4) Excellent salary and benefits - Salary is comparable to your skills and education. Multiple benefits, to include medical, dental, 401(k), and more.

Cons

None that I can think of and I've been with the company for almost 10 years.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Nov 7, 2016 – Marketing & Communications Specialist

Aww! We’re glad you’ve made TCG your second home these past 10 years!

"Fantastic Company to Work For. Great perks."

I have been working at TCG, Inc. full-time

Pros

Fantastic onboarding experience. They make you feel welcome on day 1 and you are prepared and ready to go on day 1. Fantastic perks like 401k, sports tickets, TCG Sprees (you get to plan a company event with $1000), and the even have an Employee Happiness Division!

Cons

None that I can think of at this point.

Jul 4, 2016 – Vice President

Sssshhh! Our orientation is full of little secrets. We're glad you enjoyed it and didn't give away the details! :-) Thanks for your Positively Distinct review.

6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at TCG, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding perks, open management, telecommuting, interesting and important work, caring supervisors, smart and funny co-workers, management works hard to make sure employees don't have to work overtime; a 40-hour week is standard

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Human work culture that sets TCG above other contractors"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at TCG, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- work/life balance is a priority
    - majority of employees are teleworkers
    - management and executive teams are accessible and very personable
    - they have a "happiness expert" on the team who checks on every employee constantly to ensure employee's happiness and well being
    - offer option to pay 100% of health insurance premiums for employees + family
    - has monthly budget for employee suggested sprees/activities
    - hosts great company parties and events
    - offers other great benefits including a free virtual butler service
    - purchases equipment (laptops/2 monitors) to your specification to help with your job
    - sends employees random goodies like free movie tickets, a Harry & David monthly fruit delivery for your first year on board, and birthday cards and cash for your family members (!)

Cons

- no paid overtime (but usually you can earn paid time-off instead)
    - with a culture that motivates you to work, it is easy to over do it. Company should take more steps to reduce that, perhaps force mandatory leave for repeat offenders

Advice to Management

With a culture that motivates employees to work (which is a good thing), it is easy to over do it. The company should take more steps to reduce that, perhaps force mandatory leave for repeat offenders.

Jul 4, 2016 – Vice President

We agree that it's important to keep overwork in check! As you know, we track overtime very closely -- the Exec Team maintains a weekly metric on it. The team identifies patterns of overtime in ... More

"Wonderful Company Culture"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Washington, DC

I have been working at TCG, Inc. (More than 3 years)

Pros

TCG and the Exec team highly value the employees and their work/life balance. The benefits are countless and all are aimed at making the person feel acknowledged, worthy, and happy. Also, great friendships are formed within this company that go beyond just a regular work-relationship. I would highly recommend this company to others! It's a little slice of silicon valley in DC.

Cons

I think the salaries and bonuses could stand to be a bit larger. Not that they're bad per say (TCG offers very fair wages), but I also wouldn't consider them extremely competitive either, but they are above average.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Thank you for making it clear in everything you do that you value the employees greatly.

Jul 4, 2016 – Vice President

Thanks! I take only one issue with your (much appreciated) review: we want to make Silicon Valley enviously try to be more like TCG. So if you have suggestions for how we can do that, let us know!

"TCG Cares for Its Employees"

Current Employee - D C in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - D C in Washington, DC

Pros

TCG is always looking for new ways to make employees' lives happier. This is particularly important in this growing company because employees don't all go to the same office. About half are on site in clients' offices, and half work from home -- often on the same projects. So it would be easy to associate with the project or the client. But TCG makes you want to associate with TCG.

For instance, employees have access to bonus.ly so they can give kudos to others in the company, who earn points for those kudos. Points can be used for Amazon gift cards, donations to charities, or paid time off. And those who give the points are entered into a drawing a few times a year to get either a massage or a housecleaning from a professional crew.

The work TCG does is interesting, in the highest levels of the Executive Branch. It is also important, witnessed by the fact that the company is on its way to saving the American Taxpayers $1 billion from its work alone.

One of the company's five vice presidents is assigned to meet individually with employees several times a year to find out what the company can do for the employee to advance his or her career, and then she pushes to make it happen.

The company pays for monthly outings planned by any employee for groups of six or more employees, from happy hours to fishing trips to exotic lunches to cooking lessons. That gives us a chance to get to know people from other projects, and have fun doing it.

People are discouraged from working more than 40 hours a week, and encouraged to take vacations and to use their generous training benefits. TCG has six core values, and the company follows them and tries to live them all the time.

Cons

The company is still small -- under 100 employees (not counting subcontractors), and the opportunities for advancement come more slowly than they might with bigger companies that have more churn. People tend to stay at TCG.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to get more contracts. That gives us more opportunities for advancement.

Jul 4, 2016 – Vice President

We're working hard to make sure other customers give us the opportunity to show what Positively Distinct government IT and management consulting services can do for them. Thanks for your review!

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at TCG, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TCG is committed to it's employees and their success. Corporate staff is always helpful and make you feel like a member of the TCG family. Fun perks for new employees and their commitment to work/family life balance is strong.

Cons

There is really no place to go career-wise but that isn't unusual with this type of job. Government consultants go in to projects knowing what is expected of them and promotions usually aren't part of that agenda.

The only other "con" I can think of is the health plan choices with such high deductibles - given that TCG pays 100% of the premium, I don't even think it's much of a con. Once the company becomes larger, I think the choices will be better.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Jul 4, 2016 – Vice President

We're troubled, too, that many folks in our industry get pigeon-holed into specific projects, limiting their career progression. In the last 24 months, as well as expanding our work at multiple ... More

"TCG is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at TCG, Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management (including VP of Employee Happiness)
    Sales team stays engaged with clients, combating the bait-and-switch feeling
    Clear - and shared - strategic direction
    Embracing of telecommuting...and also allowing employees to work at client site
    Protects employees from clients
    Management interest in wellbeing of employees
    TCG Sprees
    TCG Charity Sprees

Cons

Focus is on employee's happiness, not contractor's or subcontractor's happiness
    Smaller company, missing some big-company perks (no onsite gym or onsite daycare or concierge or dry cleaning or secretaries)
    Working from home can be lonely if you need regular human contact
    Working on client sites can be confusing for new people
    Not always possible to promote - only so many opportunities within the company

Advice to Management

Get bigger (so we can do more things for our employees) but retain the culture - it's what brings in new people and convinces them to stay

Jul 4, 2016 – Vice President

Yeah, okay, Mr. CEO. "Get bigger." Like you haven't given us *that* "advice" before now!