TCGplayer Reviews

3.8
TCGplayer  CEO Chedy Hampson
Chedy Hampson

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
    There are no pros to display at this time.
Cons
  • "Low pay even with shift differentials(in 4 reviews)
  • "tier employees and the upper management is astonishingly horrible.(in 3 reviews)
  • "Information is a currency; management is extremely tight lipped, and questions about 'why is x like this' is often met with 'research and data', but no research and data is ever produced for evidence despite, again, boasting how open and communicative they are.(in 2 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Just a great place to work

Dec 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company cares about the employees and the customers Great work to do Employees genuinely love working here

Cons

Growing pains Tech upgrades are complex and we have a lot of work to do Potential is huge; it's hard to keep up with all of the change we need to accomplish

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Terrible

May 1, 2022 - Inventory Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun coworkers sometimes. Food sometimes provided.

Cons

The work was absolutely thankless. The thanks we would get was paltry. We needed raises, not silly ‘rewards’ like “for each hour of overtime you get an entry put in to win a big screen tv.” When I chose to leave the company I was swept under the rug. I had coworkers messaging me weeks and months after leaving asking where I had been. None of what I did for the company mattered. I was not celebrated like others who chose to seek better jobs for themselves.

3. 3.0

Growing too quickly

Feb 4, 2022 - Customer Service Representative in Syracuse, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The atmosphere and culture of the company, I'd say, are pretty good. We're encouraged to be friendly with each other, help each other out with tasks, make friends, and just kind of be chill with each other. I think most of the leads I interact with are really friendly and understanding and don't breath down your neck.

Cons

In my opinion, the company is moving too quickly in wanting to expand and it's starting to feel like a lot of us "lower-rung" workers are not being respected by upper-management anymore. Our concerns for how bogged down parts of our authentication center is getting, I feel like aren't being taken seriously or addressed.

4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

After three years, I'm can't stop laughing on my way out. Thanks TCGplayer!

Feb 8, 2022 - Fulfillment Center Associate in Syracuse, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Lots of food, drinks and holiday themed snacks/goodies -Some people you work with can be cool -If you like gaming/tcg, this could be for you but it will also be boring

Cons

-Very low pay for the type of warehouse job this is. Amazon and other warehouse-competitors can start you at a higher wage than TCG. They also can offer better career advancement opportunities for long-term employment. TCG team leaders and upper level management promise this and 'believe' they can do this for you, but very much fail to deliver. It will always be 'next week' or 'soon' for you. -They are growing at a pace that they cannot keep up with. Often times, people are put into leadership positions that their professional work ethic and mentality are not ready for, but are promoted because they fit the clique that upper management has. Many people have come into the 3-month contractor role as an inventory specialist that they were overqualified for, and either left for a better opportunity or just because the job bored them. -Management and team leaders alike dangle the possibility that you can get hired early into TCGplayer if you 'hit the numbers'. Early as in, they don't directly hire you into TCGplayer, but rather use an external hiring service to 'contract' you in. This means you are on a 3-month trial period without benefits or PTO. This also means that they guarantee you nothing as far as employment after those three months are up. -The 'contract role' is very much abused during the busy seasons like Christmas. TCGplayer hires extensively during that time of the year and pays bottom dollar to contractors as they take in massive profits. I've seen countless, well qualified achievers come into TCGplayer and do very well, get promised the world, and then get layed-off when the three months mark hits. No explanation, no logical reasoning, just the door. -The job is unbelievably tedious and monotonous. Your job as a 'fulfillment center associate' consists of a couple different tasks. For most in receiving, your job is to invoice playing cards that you receive from other TCG companies and put them away. That's it, all day, for 10 hours a day. At first it seems fun and interesting, you learn the card sets and all the cabinets. But over the weeks and months, your feet and back start to hurt from standing and then bending over 90 degrees very frequently. On certain days, 'pull teams' are assembled for your 10 hour day. This means, that for the entirety of your shift, you will be gathering these cards for orders. Imagine you had a list of cards on a white sheet of paper that were inside 25 different cabinets. These cabinets are in a large room and all spread out. Some drawers go as low as the floor in these cabinets, and your task is to gather the cards from these 25 cabinets and put them in a pile. Once your done, you grab the next list of cards and start gathering the next pile. All day. The funniest thing about TCGplayer is the leaderships inability to properly assess your performance. For years they have been developing a 'system' to track your time on task while you are in the building. It keeps changing and they have no idea if it works well or not. They say it does, but I've seen many people abuse the system and get away with it and many still do. When they use a system developed on google sheets to track your time all day you just know its bad. I can't help but laugh at how awful it was. -I dont think this place is very covid safe. You will be touching so many things and surfaces many other people touch frequently. Lots of people in the cabinet rooms breathing the same air and standing very close together. Not a huge deal to me, but maybe for some. -People can be stinky here. No offense, but if you are a 35 year old man that can't put on deodorant, brush your teeth, or shower, I really don't want to hear about how you spent the last few months completing the Pokedex on Pokémon Gold. I love the game, but I don't want to smell your BO. How are you 30-40 years old and wear the same clothes to work all week? I'm sorry but seriously some of ya'll stink. -You are working in downtown Syracuse. There are a lot of sketchy characters down in the city. TCGplayer provides you with a parking pass to a local garage, but it can be VERY sketchy. Countless times I heard of a co-workers car getting broken into, damaged, or a license plate got stolen. I've personally been asked for money more times than I can count, and seen way too many needles on the ground for my comfort. Luckily nothing ever happened to my car, but I also drove a rust bucket piece of junk with no appeal and never left anything inside. Friends and co-workers don't like this garage, especially not at 8pm when its down two-three blocks. NO JOKE they literally make it mandatory in training to learn about how unsafe it is where you are walking every morning and night. You are very much encouraged to leave the building in groups to "avoid a possible conflict" with homeless and sketchy characters that may follow you to your car. So if you want to worry about being attacked each night or possibly something worse, TCGplayer will proudly hand you a parking pass to park in the distant, needle-infested garage while the higher management get a very safe and comfortable garage under the building with a private elevator. -Too many people come and go here. It really makes me feel like their business management practices are immoral. The people that promised you the world last week smile at you as they terminate your contract or employment for no logical reasoning. I wanted to make this as detailed as I could for those looking into this place for employment. I was a wallflower for three years here. I have only stayed this long because I've managed to play the system on them for easy income while finding the right opportunity. It really wasn't that difficult, I mean my team leaders and managers were 24-35 year old children infatuated with toys and cartoon girls with large breasts so I bet you can see why it was a joke to me. Bottom line, this place is one of, if not the biggest comedy show I have ever had the priveledge to experience and get paid from. It's ran by children and it really shows all the way up to higher management. You can find a way better job than this place where you'll have professional adults around and above you. I had to give my two cents on the way out, I really couldn't resist a good laugh. Honestly getting to the end now, I really gotta thank TCGplayer for not only the basically free income, food and drinks, but the experience of watching children who think they are adults try to play business. Ill never forget how juvenile this place felt and ran. If "The People Success Team" wants to rebuttal my pro's and con's of TCGplayer, that would really be the cherry on top of this experience. I would honestly kill to see what this comical, downright ridiculous excuse for a "People Success Team" will say. Please prove to me that you only want to mask the truth behind what this place really is just one more time, it would really make this job experience that more laughable.

6 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing company with only one con

Dec 18, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is one of the few companies I have worked where I feel valued. My opinion is respected and they actually listen. I work from home, but the meeting atmosphere is wonderful and I don't feel like I am being micromanaged at all.

Cons

The pay is far, far too low. My type position paid higher than I am making now over 10 years ago at other companies. The pay is the only reason I would ever consider leaving.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company!

Nov 21, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great atmosphere and great management here.

Cons

Need to increase salary compensation.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Best company ever to work for

Oct 13, 2021 - Principal Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company values are taken seriously be all employees and stressed by management Best culture I've ever experienced Competitive wages Stock Options Full remote positions Strong leadership

Cons

Large legacy code base (currently being refactored) to content with

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Avoid

Oct 4, 2021 - Senior Developer in Syracuse, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Better than food stamps 1% 401k Match

Cons

no health benefits no paid lunches no paid OT bad coworkers - low morale no raises for several years

3 people found this review helpful

People Success Team

As shown on our website and celebrated by 500+ employees, all of our full-time employees receive health benefits (including medical, dental, vision and free therapy & counseling), a 4% match of their 401k, frequently paid lunches to celebrate our hard work and sometimes “just because” and regular salary raises to address changes in the market (we recently raised all hourly rates by $1.00!) or performance-based, as our employees build their skills and we reward them for doing so. We have many more elements of our benefit package so feel free to check it out here: https://careers.tcgplayer.com/perks-benefits . And fun fact to close on, we have 50 working toilets in our HQ space in downtown Syracuse! :) - The People Success Team

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Culture first, great leadership, inclusive

Aug 3, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Core values are real and leadership and employees alike genuinely believe in them. Perks and benefits are fantastic. Pay is pretty fair, a little more competitive for some positions than others. Ability to work remote full time with autonomy, while still feeling like part of a team.

Cons

Certain jobs could be paid better. Certain areas of the technology department need help maturing and adjusting to the pace of growth.

1 person found this review helpful

People Success Team

Thanks so much for taking the time to write. We're thrilled to hear that the benefits and culture we work so hard to provide are making the impact we hope for. Very few companies have the good fortune of experiencing the growth that we are, and we know that we have to be agile in order to achieve our goals. We can't do that without you - so please keep sharing your feedback with your manager, senior leadership, or through our employee engagement surveys. - The People Success Team

10. 5.0

Nice

Jul 4, 2021 - Warehouse Fullfilment Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is the best place ever

Cons

There is nothing wrong with it

1 person found this review helpful

People Success Team

You're so kind - thanks for making us smile! Though you may not see anything "wrong", that doesn't mean that we can't do more. After all, Go Beyond is kind of our thing. If you have any feedback, please make sure with us!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 37 Reviews

TCGplayer Reviews FAQs

TCGplayer has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 43 reviews left anonymously by employees. 62% of employees would recommend working at TCGplayer to a friend and 61% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 9% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, TCGplayer employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at TCGplayer. This rating has improved by 13% over the last 12 months.

62% of TCGplayer employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated TCGplayer 3.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at TCGplayer to be culture, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be career development, senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with TCGplayer Job Seekers