TCS Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Horowitz, Ph.D.

"Great Growth Opportunity!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TCS Education (More than a year)

Pros

+ Great benefits, location, tuition reimbursement, employee relations events, gym membership
    + Great mission, advocating for change in higher education, helping students achieve career goals

+ I have had a great experience at TCS so far and love working with my team and direct boss. This has been a great learning and advancement period in my career which previously consisted of smaller start-up nonprofits and it has been great to be able to learn from an established organization. My boss really fosters team growth and allows us to lead projects, travel for events, and seeks professional development opportunities to expand our strengths.

Cons

Encourage and highlight more employee team building events/exercises (recently did this with participation in Chase Corporate Challenge 5K race, which is a step in the right direction)

Advice to Management

Think of your employees as your students, help them achieve their career goals and let them contribute toward a better working community.

"Management"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Chicago, IL

I worked at TCS Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reasonable benefits, rewarding mission, convenient location

Cons

Poor leadership at the 'C' level, unstable, frequent layoffs, misleading message to potential students, poor compensation, organization wide salary & bonus freezes.

Advice to Management

Resign

"Lack of Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TCS Education full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great healthcare plan, generous 403B contribution, casual dress days, community service focus, and great location

Cons

Lack of accountability at the executive level, executives with subpar integrity in their character, zero governance from the board, and a for-profit work culture masked in a non-profit organization

Advice to Management

CEO has led the organization to several layoffs, but yet, no accountability from the governing board in removing him. The CEO's entire compensation package is way out of scale for the size of the organization. The governing board does not govern as they are serving on a volunteer basis. No accountability at the executive level at all as it takes a very long time to remove an ineffective one. Often times, a new executive must be hired to do the dirty work in removing those incompetent leaders.

"Please take your career somewhere else"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at TCS Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

> Very strong 403(b) program
    > Health coverage is above average.
    > Casual Fridays. Some departments routinely wear jeans throughout the week.
    > Charity-conscious. Lots of opportunity throughout the year to give back to the community and other causes.
    > Middle managers get overloaded with work, but are very nice to their teams.
    > Great office. Has city views, with an office environment nicer than what you typically expect in non-profit higher ed. Great location too, accessible to public transportation and bars (you'll need this)

Cons

> Compensation packages are terrible. Salaries are well-below industry standard, bonuses & annual raises are terrible, if even given. This is all while the CEO makes around $1 million per year, but TCS can't pay entry-level 20-somethings fair market value. As a result, there's little motivation to stay, as:
    > Promotions and other executive perks routinely given via favoritism instead of merit.
    > TCS has incredibly high turnover, with a series of mass layoffs over the years.
    > Unsustainable operating model. Aggressive for-profit model that TCS embraces is dying.
    > Sub-par technology. TCS changes CRMs every few years - frustrating. Data is often questionable at best. Laptops and phones aren't allowed in most meetings. This is not a joke. Yes, you will be writing in a notepad here, and you will have to re-type your notes in Word if you ever want to stay organized.
    > Meetings. You will spend half your week in endless meetings. Bring coffee.
    > Organizational changes are frequent and confusing, providing unclear direction for employees.
    > Continuing education & professional development are non-existent. HR accommodates this frightening lack of budget (to be fair, I don't think they have a choice) by having an internal professional development council, but the result are about what you'd expect. It's just not enough. It's not too much to ask to let teams travel to tradeshows, attend training classes in their area of expertise, receive valuable skills-building, third party certifications (Salesforce, ex), or leadership seminars from recognized authorities. Which brings me to...
    > A culture of fear permeates from the CEOs office down to newer employees. Senior leadership routinely lies, deceives, harasses, and threatens their teams in order to sustain obedience. Department heads openly destroy each other in full view & listening of the bullpen. Department heads have been known to frequently yell at their own teams they've built, instead of giving coaching and career development options.

Advice to Management

1. Pay your teams fairly - you know you can do this. It's not that hard.
    2. Set real, measurable organizational goals - stop changing course all the time
    3. Check into reality - it was exhausting listening to department heads bash former employees, just to save face. We didn't come here for that. We came to grow. Just teach us something - we never ask much more than that.
    4. Be professional. Stop blasting music with derogatory language from your offices. Enough with the crony sexism, which is far too commonplace. You all take far too many 2-3 hour lunches. Yes, we see & hear you at the bar after work trashing us. You hired us, why are you angry? Teach us something instead.
    5. Be honest to your employees - Stop lying about potential raises and promotions. We are the ones who have to deal with our fellow upset co-workers, and we all know that raise & promotion isn't going to happen (re:favoritism). Give people skills. Approve their time off requests. Be courteous.

"A Complete Mess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at TCS Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

7% fully vested 401b after one year
    Free gym membership
    Great location

Cons

Investments are made without real objective or direction. Upper management have limited experience in the proper management of people. They are glorified project managers who forward emails from C-Level execs down to the people that actually do the work. Reporting structures, roles, responsibilities, and employee goals are non-existent. There are constant re-orgs and people are expected to to move in and out of job functions and responsibilities without regard to their experience and/or expertise. When projects do not go smoothly, (and they never do) the blame is placed squarely on the staff. Routine berating and yelling is rampant across organization. All this has resulted in low employee retention and morale at TCS.

Advice to Management

Bring in an outside consultant to review senior managers

"Where careers come to die"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at TCS Education (More than a year)

Pros

Fully vested 403(b) after one year with employer contribution
    Free gym membership
    Close to CTA and Metra

Cons

Mass firings and layoffs every 9 months
    Poor, unpolished management
    Below industry standard salaries
    High turnover rate with no focus on retention
    Toxic work culture
    Raises and promotions don't exist
    Unstable finances

If you want to become unhireable and unmarketable while your skills deteriorate, then please join this company.

Advice to Management

Stop being so egotistical and hypocritical. Stop with the cronyism. Stop lying about
    financial stability. Value and reward smart and hardworking employees instead of accepting mediocrity. Focus on retention. Free, stale pretzels aren't a solution. Probably 70% of employees are desperately job searching. You're hemorrhaging talent.

"Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at TCS Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good location
    Good benefits: medical, PTO, gym membership, 403B contributions, free parking
    Many talented staff members at the non-management and mid-management levels

Cons

Most partner schools offer mediocre programs. Chicago campus of TCSPP still has a good reputation
    Morale is really low. Many staff members stay because it is "comfortable". Too many of the strong employees have left in the past 2 years, and many have left in the past 6 months
    Little to no job security

Advice to Management

Change senior leadership - CEO & COO aren't providing leadership. The ship turns every other month and they never look in the mirror but are very good at placing blame across the system and colleges. Go back to the beginnings when it was mission driven and there was a strong focus on developing the colleges and the staff. At one point, many years ago, it was rated as one of the best workplaces in the city.

"Enrollment Services"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I worked at TCS Education (More than 5 years)

Pros

TCS has an excellent employee benefit program

Cons

Low employee morale, inconsistent communication between departments, leadership and school affiliates.

"Don't bother"

Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TCS Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Convenient location. Free gym membership

Cons

There are more cons than pros with TCSES. The high work load combined with unrealistic expectations, poor management, high turn over, and low pay... this place is not worth it.

In several departments the option of moving up doesn't exist, or has been taken away.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. The social hours are fun, but are no longer enough to keep the moral up. Please do more!

"Pretty Good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TCS Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professional development trainings and a overall great working environment. Company events.

Cons

Horrible "lower level" management. Heavy work load. Limited room for growth

Advice to Management

Make sure you praise your team for a job well done. I'd also recommend not being extremely arrogant or too type A.