TD Ameritrade Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

TD Ameritrade CEO & President Tim Hockey
Tim Hockey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is bad, overtimes and weekend work are normal things (in 14 reviews)

• Promotional opportunities are limited to other departments in the call center until you have put in a certain amount of time (in 26 reviews)

"Great place to grow"

Current Employee - Investor Services in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Investor Services in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have never felt supported in my career growth. The management is amazing and the atmosphere is exciting and inviting! I never been more compelled to give 110% to a company.

Cons

Sometimes when I look at the organizational chart I think how am I going to accelerate? Will there be room for me?

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on.

Jun 26, 2017

Thank you for your feedback! Our companies current growth and your enthusiasm are a perfect match for making sure there is room for you! We appreciate the effort you are giving!

"Monotonous and repetitive job with little chance for promotion"

Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at TD Ameritrade (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great name recognition and lots of advertising that generates lots of referrals for you to call every day.

Cons

You aren't allowed to recommend specific investments or give specific advice. You have to talk about general strategies, then hand off the client to somebody else who can recommend a specific investment. As an investment consultant, the company only wants you to gather outside assets. If you don't hit your quarterly goals, they put you on warning and manage you out the door. I saw so many people come and go in the years that I was there. No real job security, and little room for advancement at the branch level.

Advice to Management

Place more value on your Human Resources! Good people are hard to find, and they won't stay if you don't show an interest in their development and future.

3. "Exceeds Expectations -- could even be outstanding!"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, at this client & employee-focused firm.
    The company really tries to walk the talk with respect to its “core values”.
    Great opportunities available for the right person in the right role.
    Reasonable work/life balance for a trading firm.
    Good salaries, great benefits, great HR & L&D (learning & development) teams.
    Target bonuses paid four times a year.
    Great, pro-active support for professional development in the form of training,etc.
    Did I mention, great people?

Cons

TDA is a large firm which has grown thru acquisition and with the Scottrade merger getting larger still: despite all the focus on agility, it may be nearly impossible for a firm this size to be as agile & as transparent as you’d like, especially with the legacy tools (e.g. Remedy) and bureaucracy, but please keep trying!

The firm's approach to things like security (you can’t bake it in after the fact no matter how many different groups you have probing software post-install), and DevOps (hint: “if you have a DevOps team, you’re doing it wrong!”) needs updating.

The company’s laudable approach to not destroying the culture of the companies it acquires does lead to the company feeling more like a hyrdra (ToS, Ameritrade, TD…) rather than the single, living firm it would like to be. Ann Arbor ; Chicago ; Omaha; JC; Columbia almost feel like completely different companies.

Advice to Management

Definitely headed in the right direction; recent changes at the top, focus on agility, etc. are all very good signs.

Aug 4, 2017

Thank you! We’re very proud of the culture at TD Ameritrade, and we all work hard to ensure that values resonate in the relationships we build and the work we do.

4. "review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TD Ameritrade (More than a year)

Pros

everyone is very helpful and it is just an overall good work culture. Everyone enjoys what they do and it shows

Cons

none that i can think of

Nov 28, 2016 – Representative,TAS

Our culture is very important to us and we strive to keep it energized and we feel that our associates do truly enjoy coming to work everyday. Thank you for the glowing review.

5. "Exec"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Needs to Grow client base

Sep 6, 2016

We are working to bring in more clients everyday and value the input and ideas from our employees on how to accomplish this goal. We are constantly striving to be the better investment firm and we... More

6. "Always looking up"

Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

technology is amazing and always improving

Cons

Company is repidly growing and can mean focus can shift rapidy on areas that are important.

Jul 18, 2016 – Executive Assistant

Thanks for leaving a comment. I agree, technology is moving faster than the speed of light and TD Ameritrade strives to stay on top of that. We have recently opened an office in Ann Arbor in order... More

7. "Amazing Work Environment"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at TD Ameritrade as an intern

Pros

Inviting atmosphere at Chicago office makes collaboration easy. The company is very horizontal- coworkers look at each other as equals. The company took a significant portion of the internship to take us to the offices of related businesses and to teach us about their entire office. I had an amazing internship experience with this company.

Cons

Not really much to complain about here. I guess some people would prefer to have more of a structured internship, but there was always work to be found if you looked hard enough.

Advice to Management

Perhaps have a more established schedule of projects for the summer. Otherwise, do your best to keep everything the same!

8. "Executive assistant"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Well positioned in the industry.

Cons

Good place to start out but not a place to be once established.

Advice to Management

Improve the room for advancement.

9. "Team Manager, Retail Trading"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at TD Ameritrade (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent focus on Professional Development, Associate empowerment, and Manager Effectiveness. Strong Core Values and Vision that everyone strives to achieve on a daily basis.

Cons

Work/Life balance can be difficult if you want to stand out and get ahead of the pack.

10. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

TD goes out of its way for its employees. Time off is encouraged and wages are reviewed to the current market periodically.

Cons

Work atmosphere can be a little to enthusiastic at times, but really its not a bad thing.