TD Ameritrade Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

4.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
TD Ameritrade CEO & President Tim Hockey
Tim Hockey

Pros
  • An excellent work environment and work life balance (in 50 reviews)

• If you are newly licensed and YOUNG, TD Ameritrade is a good place to start your career (in 17 reviews)

Cons

1. "Great culture, fun environment"

Current Employee - Rep in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Rep in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing Culture. Fun and Midwesty. When executed properly Lean makes Associates feel vested, engaged, and part of the solution. Great place to spend 8 hours a day.

Cons

Flat organization. Too much revenue derived from trading and that revenue is being slashed due to commission wars. Lean when not executed properly can feel like micro managing.

Advice to Management

Let's use our spunk to be cutting edge rather than stay status quo.

Mar 23, 2017

Thank you! We’re very proud of the culture at TD Ameritrade, and we all work hard to ensure that values resonate in the relationships we build and the work we do. As a growing company, we are ... More

2. "review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TD Ameritrade (More than a year)

Pros

everyone is very helpful and it is just an overall good work culture. Everyone enjoys what they do and it shows

Cons

none that i can think of

Nov 28, 2016 – Representative,TAS

Our culture is very important to us and we strive to keep it energized and we feel that our associates do truly enjoy coming to work everyday. Thank you for the glowing review.

3. "Exec"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Needs to Grow client base

Sep 6, 2016

We are working to bring in more clients everyday and value the input and ideas from our employees on how to accomplish this goal. We are constantly striving to be the better investment firm and we ... More

5. "Always looking up"

Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

technology is amazing and always improving

Cons

Company is repidly growing and can mean focus can shift rapidy on areas that are important.

Jul 18, 2016 – Executive Assistant

Thanks for leaving a comment. I agree, technology is moving faster than the speed of light and TD Ameritrade strives to stay on top of that. We have recently opened an office in Ann Arbor in order ... More

"Investment Consultant"

Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you can't find anywhere else to house your licenses this would be a fine last choice of employment

Cons

This is a sales organization. They do not care about you or your supposed expertise. They offer fee laden mutual fund wraps and outside RIA investing. They refuse to let consultants give advice and try to skirt this with manipulation of rules so all sales seem unsolicited. Your boss will be a sales rep who sold well as an IC and was promoted to a terminal role (unbeknownst to him) he will be happy that he has some level of status now(a corporate credit card and glass trophies on his desk) your compensation plan will be modified every October and it will benefit shareholders and cost you. So be sure to feel good about "running in place" or "raising goals to drive growth." I'm embarrassed to have spent the years I did there but it was a bad job market a few years ago and I took what I could get... Now you have no excuse to put up with comp changes and horrid investment selections the likes of TD.

Advice to Management

Start over. Find leaders. Sales should be part of the equation, but not the entire equation.

Keep it up as you have and just open some used car dealerships.

7. "Amazing Work Environment"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at TD Ameritrade as an intern

Pros

Inviting atmosphere at Chicago office makes collaboration easy. The company is very horizontal- coworkers look at each other as equals. The company took a significant portion of the internship to take us to the offices of related businesses and to teach us about their entire office. I had an amazing internship experience with this company.

Cons

Not really much to complain about here. I guess some people would prefer to have more of a structured internship, but there was always work to be found if you looked hard enough.

Advice to Management

Perhaps have a more established schedule of projects for the summer. Otherwise, do your best to keep everything the same!

8. "Executive assistant"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Well positioned in the industry.

Cons

Good place to start out but not a place to be once established.

Advice to Management

Improve the room for advancement.

9. "Team Manager, Retail Trading"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at TD Ameritrade (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent focus on Professional Development, Associate empowerment, and Manager Effectiveness. Strong Core Values and Vision that everyone strives to achieve on a daily basis.

Cons

Work/Life balance can be difficult if you want to stand out and get ahead of the pack.

10. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

TD goes out of its way for its employees. Time off is encouraged and wages are reviewed to the current market periodically.

Cons

Work atmosphere can be a little to enthusiastic at times, but really its not a bad thing.

"Company tries hard, but..."

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Chicago, IL

Pros

Lots of software development expertise on tap, company really does seem focused on being a good place to work. Chicago office is cool in appearance. Free lunches. The overall (as in corporation-wide) culture seems to be focused on employee retention. Bonuses are good.

Cons

In my small group, the culture was very controlling, and micromanagement was the norm. Never received any appreciation for my contributions. Management is very old school in their attitudes. Physical comings and goings were noted to the minute, and breaks were not allowed. Yes, really, in this day and age. Chicago is a small well in a big company, but it is a poisoned one, at least, for web developers.

Advice to Management

Relax! Stop pushing yourselves and your people so hard. Let them take breaks outside the office; a walk down wonders for productivity. The over-controlling and micromanagement leads to a hostile and toxic workplace.