TD Ameritrade Reviews | Glassdoor

TD Ameritrade CEO & President Tim Hockey
Tim Hockey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Louis call center is accelerating targeting people who don’t lap up the kool aid" (in 35 reviews)

• "It would be nice if they did that, but because they are so flexible with keeping a good work life balance this isn’t really an issue" (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company that invests in it’s employees professional and personal growth."

Current Employee - Retail Trading Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Retail Trading Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They place a great emphasis on what you can do and not as much on where you went to school. Paid study time to go through your initial licensing as well as additional paid time for studying outside of work if a promotion requires any additional licensing. Matching 401k, generous paid time off, profit sharing and from what I hear decent health insurance (I get insurance through my partner). They are inclusive and have a good set of values that are demonstrated through how they treat their employees.

Cons

We offer great benefits however I’d love to see us work towards more progressive benefits such as a better paternity leave benefit. As well we should offer a better transition back to work after maternity leave including part time return for women to help encourage increasing women in our industry.

Advice to Management

We stand by our value proposition that we offer a higher quality of our products and services over the cheapest rates. Make sure that we are properly investing in our technology so that we are able to deliver to clients a platform and trading experience that is never interrupted or delayed and that is flawless and exceeds their yet to be known expectations.

Apr 6, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback!
    We are glad to hear that you support the company’s philosophy on diversity and inclusion, and that you share our passion in regards to the value that it... More

2. "Great company"

Current Employee - Investor Services in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Investor Services in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity in a big company.

Cons

Entry level position is nobody's favorite, but once you get past that the positions beyond are better

"I was acquired as a part of Scottrade"

Former Employee - Technical Support
    Former Employee - Technical Support

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was a "legacy" Scottrade employee and became part of the TD Ameritrade family when Scottrade was sold to TD Ameritrade.

Pay, benefits, and bonuses are very good. Communication is very good - top leadership and department leadership hold regular "town-halls" to communicate status. As a Scottrade "legacy "employee, I didn't have much interaction with the TD Ameritrade folks. I knew for two years I would be laid off. During the transition, the Scottrade people were treated very fairly. We received all the benefits, bonuses, and merit increases as everyone else. TD Ameritrade a good company to work for.

Cons

As a former Scottrade employee, I knew I would be laid off. There was no future for me with the new company. Part of that was because TD Ameritrade is a national company. In most cases, remote work is discouraged. I may have had a future with the company but only if I was willing to relocate.

Advice to Management

Most of the Scottrade people are gone. Please treat the remaining ones as you treated me.

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-CEO is amazing. I’ve worked for large corporations where I’ve never seen the CEO. I’ve met mine on several locations. Once he even bought everyone breakfast and served it to us personally to say thanks.
    -Paid maternity leave is great! This is for both moms and dads
    -Easy to move up

Cons

I’ve worked for major corporations that give us all of us vacation hours at the beginning of the year. It would be nice if they did that, but because they are so flexible with keeping a good work life balance this isn’t really an issue.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Investment Consultant"

Former Employee - Investment Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of this career is meeting the people in the community and providing financial advice. Most customers are really nice and my former manager and co workers were also extremely fun and helpful. I think there has been many changes since I left, including the whole office team so not sure if its the same any more.

Cons

Sales goals reset every quarter and year and there is no recurring percentage given to the consultant for assets brought in as some other firms offer.

Nov 30, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the customers, manager, and co-workers during your time at TDA. We hope that since you left that same culture has remained or even improved as we are always... More

6. "Good company"

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

Good benefit, take care of employees.

Cons

Work is boring and dumb!

7. "Financial Services Rep"

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

Great Training
    Open door Policy
    Company is Growing

Cons

Horizontal Movement
    Call Center Feel
    Compensation is low compared to industry leaders

Nov 30, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are happy to hear about the pros listed here and the fact that the company is growing will hopefully prove to assist in the cons you listed. Although... More

"STL is a deadend location"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tim Hockey is a really great CEO. Scottrade provides good influence on comapny culture and ethical practices. Associates have been invited to give input, and communication from the top indicates these voices are listened to and acted on.

Cons

At 10,000 employees, it is a large ship to steer (so slow to turn). The org chart reveals rampant organizational issues; top-heavy management is (not surprisingly) a serious problem. The company is secretive about wages, refusing to reveal their wage brackets for each role, take action on the gender wage gap, or correct wage according to market benchmarks. Not everyone is undercompensated. However, in St. Louis undercompensated talent eventually escapes to a slew of competitors who are willing to pay more: Edward Jones, The Federal Reserve, and Wells Fargo have increased my colleagues base wages 150%. Worse, St. Louis colleagues who were part of multi-site teams have been passed over for awards, making it clear that no former Scottrade employees will be eligible for career-building recognition; they can count on their ideas and efforts being stolen by long-term TDA employees. IT tools and support in St. Louis are limited, effectively creating barriers to the success of all employees there.

Advice to Management

It is clear that there is a damaging legacy at TDA: individuals who lacked compentencies were nevertheless rewarded with promotions. It is also clear that some supporting departments are a place to stack deadwood no one had the heart to fire. My department is so bloated that it will never be able to offer the upward mobility I had hoped for--it could easily be reduced by 2/3 and produce higher quality work. Far from bloating being a merger issue, our St. Louis department was reduced to 1/5 of its Scottrade size, and hiring has been going on non-stop at all sites since (why?) HR may hold the key. They may be responsible for failingto be good stewards in the past, and for the present inability to move the needle towards competency.

9. "FSR"

Former Employee - FSR1 in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - FSR1 in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Way to earn securities license

Cons

It’s a call center. Period.

Advice to Management

A STL team manager said it best: TDA is a pit stop, NOT a destination.

10. "Nice company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Quarterly bonuses, a nice building, and a nice cafeteria

Cons

Some managers are great but my last manager was unqualified which made my job frustrating. Not a lot of advancement for women.

Advice to Management

Implement a better vetting system when hiring managers internally.

Nov 23, 2018 – Sr Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. Here at TD Ameritrade we have a laser focus on providing equal opportunity for all employees. This has been expressed by all facets in our management team and we are... More