TD Ameritrade Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
TD Ameritrade CEO & President Tim Hockey
Tim Hockey

Pros
  • great culture and work life balance (in 51 reviews)

• If you are newly licensed and YOUNG, TD Ameritrade is a good place to start your career (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"worth it"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

Great place to work and the company is constantly evolving to gain the market edge.

Cons

No cons if you are career minded and work hard.

Advice to Management

continue the LTI journey...

Jun 22, 2016 – Specialist, Social Business

Thank you for such a wonderful review! We are so happy you like it at TD Ameritrade. It's definitely a journey that never ends and we are always looking for ways to improve

2. "Extremely supportive"

Former Employee - Senior Investment Advisor in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Investment Advisor in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good, the employees I've worked around have been made up of individuals that ha e become lifelong and close friends, this organization hires quality people

Cons

Training is difficult and seems insufficient in ways that keep employees from success, work can drag at times as an investment consultant.

Advice to Management

Management has been great at the branch and team level in my experience.

Apr 11, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. I agree, we do have amazing benefits. TD Ameritrade offers competitive health insurance benefits that provide quality hospital, physician and pharmacy coverage for our ... More

"Epitome of Micromanagement"

Current Employee - Registered Representative in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent foot in the door into the financial services industry. Management teams hold a pretty open door policy as well.

Cons

You cannot go one day without micromanagement taking over your role. There are coaching sessions frequently, which seem to focus primarily on things you could or should improve on, therefore morale is quite low on a day to day basis. The job is extremely understated in job postings and does not meet expectations for many.

Advice to Management

While I understand the sensitive nature of financial services, micromanagement seems to be negatively spoken about by many of your associates at different levels.

"Loved my job"

Former Employee - Transfers Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Transfers Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, monthly incentives, good 401k match, good health care plans. The people I worked with were awesome and communicated well.

Cons

Communication in some departments was lacking between Management and employees. Communications between departments also needed help.

Advice to Management

Always work on better ways to communicate as a whole. Also respect and listen to your employees, they may have some really great ideas.

"Financial Rep/Trainee"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

Good insurance coverage (medical, dental, vision); cost to employee isn't exactly cheap, but very good coverage. Company encourages lateral and promotional movements within the company. Very nice managers and co-workers.

Cons

Disappointing training program; need more shadowing, listening to actual calls, even if pre-recorded, better explanation and practice of systems. While in the role, very difficult to get help/answers - and hard to learn best practices. There's no one-on-one help while in the role; all via chat. Feels like a sink or swim approach to training/learning. Could be much better if they utilized better learning formats. They brag about being client centric; but poor training to new associates ultimately hurts the client experience. Pay is comparatively low; other companies and even departments within TDA pay more to licensed associates than this department.

Advice to Management

Utilize feedback from new hires to improve training.

"Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had a good manager and worked on a good team. There are opportunities for advancement if you perform well. I had very few complaints. Great health benefits and other little perks such as office lunches, etc. Bonuses are very consistent. I had to leave for personal reasons and would have preferred to stay.

Cons

not many. a little bureaucratic and highly-regulated. lots of red tape to go through for SEC when coming onboard.

8. "Visual Design Manager"

Current Employee - Visual Design Manager in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Visual Design Manager in Draper, UT

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good culture, strong company, cares about associates and clients

Cons

Large and slow moving at times

9. "Great culture, fun environment"

Current Employee - Rep in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Rep in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing Culture. Fun and Midwesty. When executed properly Lean makes Associates feel vested, engaged, and part of the solution. Great place to spend 8 hours a day.

Cons

Flat organization. Too much revenue derived from trading and that revenue is being slashed due to commission wars. Lean when not executed properly can feel like micro managing.

Advice to Management

Let's use our spunk to be cutting edge rather than stay status quo.

Mar 23, 2017

Thank you! We’re very proud of the culture at TD Ameritrade, and we all work hard to ensure that values resonate in the relationships we build and the work we do. As a growing company, we are ... More

10. "Very good company to work for. Excellent culture."

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to train in new technology. Great access to executive management who are receptive to suggestions from lower level employees.

Cons

Some regional bias in strategy decisions. The company relies to heavily on outside consulting engagements with a track record of worse ROI than internal resources.

Advice to Management

Firm is a bit top heavy. Could benefit from a flatter org chart.

Mar 23, 2017

Thank you for the feedback! We’re very proud of the culture at TD Ameritrade, and we all work hard to ensure that values resonate in the relationships we build and the work we do. We ... More

11. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is a great company is fairly family oriented, benefits are comparable with the big financial houses and they pay for performance on a quarterly basis. So you can really gauge your performance.

Cons

The company has a bit too many passive aggressive people that hold back progress by not stating the truth on issues or processes until things are on verge of breaking.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all these people that really do share in company culture or strive for a higher level of performance.

Mar 17, 2017

Thank you for the very thoughtful feedback. TD Ameritrade consistently strives to provide a competitive compensation structure, and often goes above and beyond business averages with offerings such ... More