TD Ameritrade Reviews | Glassdoor

Tim Hockey

"Hitting a glass door."

Current Employee - Network Technician in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Network Technician in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great salary, lenient with dress code, And opportunity to grow, if you can find a way to. Read the cons.

Cons

Company plays favorites, you burn out quickly, the only way you will move up is if you know someone. Overwork you for pay (example, your performing manager tasks, for employee money). Many of the time it isn't the clients, its the staff. But that's just coming from one department.

Advice to Management

When you says you can grow here and move up.. don't limit the employee to only that department.. most people want to achieve goals and can't.. due to managers not giving the opportunity.

2. "Not much to say"

Former Contractor - Senior Java Developer in Columbia, MD
    Former Contractor - Senior Java Developer in Columbia, MD

I worked at TD Ameritrade as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Financial domain exposure, marked knowledge, inhouse MVC API development

Cons

bad management, egoistic full time employees

May 8, 2017

We are glad you found some professional value in your time with us, however we are sorry you had a bad personal experience. It is never our intention to make someone who is working with us as a ... More

"Epitome of Micromanagement"

Current Employee - Registered Representative in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent foot in the door into the financial services industry. Management teams hold a pretty open door policy as well.

Cons

You cannot go one day without micromanagement taking over your role. There are coaching sessions frequently, which seem to focus primarily on things you could or should improve on, therefore morale is quite low on a day to day basis. The job is extremely understated in job postings and does not meet expectations for many.

Advice to Management

While I understand the sensitive nature of financial services, micromanagement seems to be negatively spoken about by many of your associates at different levels.

May 24, 2017

Thank you for your comments. You are correct that Financial Services is a highly regulated business industry to be in. Individual Development Plans created specifically between your manager and ... More

"New Client Consultant"

Former Employee - New Client Consultant in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - New Client Consultant in Omaha, NE

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work as much as you want essentially. Lots of overtime available for call center associates. Good place to get started in the industry.

Cons

Monotonous. Every day is the same. Worthless coaching sessions that repeat themselves over and over and over. They dump money into being "lean" which after working there for long enough becomes extremely repetitive. They tried to pull the wool over people's eyes when they cut bonuses and pay. Kudos to you because it worked initially. But once everyone realized what was happening it didn't go well for you. I saw lots of turnover before I left. We felt disrespected. I will say that new management finally acknowledged what happened. Before I left it seems like they were moving back in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like human beings, not lemmings. We used to take pride in our jobs. Now it's just a clock in/clock out environment. Be more transparent.

"5 years wasted so far."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is slightly higher than average. But the bonuses are about 30% out of your control. The building is neat.

Cons

If you are on the business side, you probably love it. If you are in IT, you are worked incredibly hard. TDA is a "performance driven" organization, meaning you are strictly held accountable and if you don't meet expectations you are punished. This is by far the most punitive company I have ever worked for. Also, teams are run with very few people; many one person teams.

Advice to Management

Treat IT like the business. Stop hiring the loudest and most obnoxious managers. Find managers that actual enjoy people and are personable.

"Communications manager"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is what keeps associated at the firm. Teamwork and collaboration are encouraged and fostered. It feels like a family.

Cons

The opportunity for professional development and career growth is almost nonexistent. Many of the roles have no career path, therefore associates feel stagnant.

Advice to Management

More professional development

"Relationship Manager"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free parking.

Free coffee and tea.

Onsite cafe.

Learning and Development tries to offer opportunities for self-improvement.

Cons

The pay is not adjusted for loyal employees--new, inexperienced people frequently get paid considerably more than the experienced and more competent employees, with years of service at the company, get paid.

The individuals chosen for management positions often seem be selected based on their attractiveness and popularity more than their competence.

The work environment had some negativity due to inconsistencies between departments.

Advice to Management

Make the "anonymous" annual feedback survey truly anonymous and then really consider what your employees are sharing with you.

"Financial Services"

Former Employee - Investor in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Investor in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to get foot in finance industry. A friend environment in the beginning.

Cons

Lateral upward mobility. Underpaid and they increase bonus difficulty regularly so you can't make up the difference. High turnover from entry level to upper management.

"One word - Politics"

Former Employee - Information Technology Director in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Information Technology Director in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some nice people to work with, challenging projects and the compensation was decent.

Cons

Fake culture that is splashed everywhere. Upper management was VERY political with their own, often conflicting agendas. Empowerment was preached, but everything had to be funneled through C-level, so he could control the message. Farcical voluntary "forced" Employee Surveys! Thankfully, I hear that C-level is on his way out - for the good and health of the company!

Advice to Management

Watch out for above C-level.

"Used to be a good job"

Current Employee - Investment Consultant in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant in South Florida, FL

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are OK. Some managers actually care and have sales experience although a lot of upper management cares only about numbers and nothing else and have no prior sales experience.

Cons

They came up with the idea of making everyone attend a mandatory "Huddle" every morning. For a 100k job this is quite demeaning. The huddles have lowered morale across the company and it is driving people away. No one in my office or region who I have talked to enjoy the Huddles. Stop wasting money on Lean and invest in something that we can actually use to help us like our outdated technology. The company super micromanages their investment consultants, especially from the regional level up.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the morning huddles. Hire people who have sales experience in management roles. Let us run our business our way.

Aug 9, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Representative

Here at TDA, one of our Core Values is Working Together as we encourage collaboration. Our Associates find great value in participating in initiatives where brainstorming is welcomed and our high ... More