TD Ameritrade Reviews | Glassdoor

TD Ameritrade CEO & President Tim Hockey
Tim Hockey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is bad, overtimes and weekend work are normal things (in 14 reviews)

• Promotional opportunities are limited to other departments in the call center until you have put in a certain amount of time (in 26 reviews)

1. "Great entry level company to start at"

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

great company atmosphere and work/life balance

Cons

can't move up fast enough

Advice to Management

needs faster movement/addition of responsibilities and knowledge

Sep 12, 2017

Thank you! We believe the culture at TD Ameritrade speaks for itself, and strive to provide an environment that helps our employees maintain a healthy work/life balance.

In addition, we work... More

"Great place to begin your career in the financial industry!"

Current Employee - Financial Services in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Services in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid training for the 7 & 63
    Great employees and work environment
    Fast growing industry and TD is the leading brokerage firm
    continual growth
    Everyone is very understanding of your problems and tries to help

Cons

The training program could use work, everything seems out of place and there were a bunch of issues with the programs and log in. Understandable since they are in the middle of an acquisition and hiring like crazy right now so it's a little hectic.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Sep 6, 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback! At TD Ameritrade, we work hard to create a supportive and positive environment and are continuously looking at ways to improve our processes.

3. "Cool Place"

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

Flexible, Upward and Lateral Mobility, Decent Benefits, Cool Co-workers, Very Inclusive, Relaxed Environment

Cons

Nothing the share at this time

4. "Good overall company with great benefits, but a little lower pay than industry standard."

Pros

What they lack in pay, they make up for in ability to grow. They truly encourage growth and by doing so, have a better equipped workforce.

Cons

Still a Corporate atmosphere, with growth comes growing pains. Td is growing and is sometimes struggling to keep up, which means they Have been known to cut crucial corners

Advice to Management

Invest more in employees and less on bottom dollar, you'll see your numbers triple when that happens.

5. "Relationship Manager"

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great work environment, and great pro-active support for professional development

Cons

Limited opportunities within the company for promotion, however, the company is continuing to grow, so that may change

Aug 24, 2017

Great to hear! At TD Ameritrade, we are proud to give our employees the tools they need to direct their career, their way. From mentoring to educational resources, our development programs empower... More

6. "SENIOR ANALYST COACH"

Former Employee - Analyst Coach Trainer in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Analyst Coach Trainer in Draper, UT

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They try to be fair to employees, and have good benefits.

Cons

Some people in management are not tuned in with the real world of trading and don't understand it much at all. They can talk the talk, but they don't believe in trading.

Advice to Management

Put people in management who understand more than just office politics.

Aug 18, 2017

We’re sorry to hear that was your experience with us. Delivering a better employee experience is a core goal of ours each year. 97% of our employees participated in our most recent Employee... More

"Awesome place to work great management."

Current Employee - Senior Financial Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary, draw and commission. Uncomplicated offerings, no jacks of all trades, low risk to losing your license or getting into compliance issues. This is a solid firm with good benefits and perks. Vacation time is decent, some volunteer time off too. You get a book of business and do not have to bring in your old clients or friends to survive. Lot's of training always seeking to be better for the clients, generous with employees and very good management.

Senior Financial Consultants do not recommend stock or any type of investment, you are not executing trades all day!

Cons

Trying to figure out how to take this transaction driven trading platform model to a relationship model making too complicated on the other hand I have respect for the fact that you have postponed it to iron out the issues.

Advice to Management

If you are going to go relationship driven, just pay on the book like wholesaling works. I t will be hard to turn this into a relationship driven form if you still have self directed traders as 90 % of the book. You cannot punish the SFC and FC's for people leaving it is too hard to control even if there is a relationship. Don't make hasty decisions about this topic.

I you want clients to be in a relationship you have to tell them when they open an account, you have to put the SFC/FC's name on their account online or in paper statements. Tell the clients what our job is and how we serve them, we will drive it home when we call them.

On the whole you are doing an amazing job!

Aug 4, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We’re so glad to hear you’ve had a great experience working at TD Ameritrade!

8. "Exceeds Expectations -- could even be outstanding!"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, at this client & employee-focused firm.
    The company really tries to walk the talk with respect to its “core values”.
    Great opportunities available for the right person in the right role.
    Reasonable work/life balance for a trading firm.
    Good salaries, great benefits, great HR & L&D (learning & development) teams.
    Target bonuses paid four times a year.
    Great, pro-active support for professional development in the form of training,etc.
    Did I mention, great people?

Cons

TDA is a large firm which has grown thru acquisition and with the Scottrade merger getting larger still: despite all the focus on agility, it may be nearly impossible for a firm this size to be as agile & as transparent as you’d like, especially with the legacy tools (e.g. Remedy) and bureaucracy, but please keep trying!

The firm's approach to things like security (you can’t bake it in after the fact no matter how many different groups you have probing software post-install), and DevOps (hint: “if you have a DevOps team, you’re doing it wrong!”) needs updating.

The company’s laudable approach to not destroying the culture of the companies it acquires does lead to the company feeling more like a hyrdra (ToS, Ameritrade, TD…) rather than the single, living firm it would like to be. Ann Arbor ; Chicago ; Omaha; JC; Columbia almost feel like completely different companies.

Advice to Management

Definitely headed in the right direction; recent changes at the top, focus on agility, etc. are all very good signs.

Aug 4, 2017

Thank you! We’re very proud of the culture at TD Ameritrade, and we all work hard to ensure that values resonate in the relationships we build and the work we do.

9. "Relationship Manager"

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

Great Atmosphere
    Size of company allows you to learn various parts of brokerage business

Cons

Lower pay than other companies

Advice to Management

value employees

Jul 19, 2017

Thank you for your feedback! Our company is growing rapidly so there will be even more opportunities to learn different parts of the industry. Regarding compensation, we receive consistent positive... More

"Financial Services"

Current Employee - Financial Services in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Financial Services in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Large Company, Good Benefits, Possibilities for advancement

Cons

High turnover, some disorganization, Hours

Jul 17, 2017

Thanks for your response! We're glad your experience has been a positive one!